Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default Sex and the English teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post

Boomer - I like your book club idea where no one needs to read the book. Somehow book clubs always make me feel as if I am back in HS English with Sister Mary Whomever telling us that the author meant this when he wrote that. As if a woman who never had sex could understand Fitzgerald or Hemingway!...............................

k
Hi Kate,

It was not just Sister Mary Whomever. The public school teachers did not get it either.

It was my senior year in high school. I was in the Class of 19. Our English teacher was regaling us with all her knowledge of Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.

The Wife of Bath was a character in the tales. And the Wife of Bath was described as having a space between her two front teeth. And our English teacher said that a space between the two front teeth meant that the person was destined to travel far.

And I believed my English teacher.

But then I went to college, and it was Canterbury Tales time once more, and the Wife of Bath was right there, and she still had that space between her two front teeth.

And I thought I knew all about what that space meant, having believed my high school English teacher.

Wellllll, guess what I learned in college.

I learned that the space between the two front teeth of the Wife of Bath in the Canterbury Tales meant that she was over-sexed. Those were the words of the professor anyway.

I have never researched this important piece of information. So I really do not know who was right. But I do know one thing for sure. You have to watch out for people who teach English. You just never know what they might tell you.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-24-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
From the wilds of Maine,

I am ODing on lobster (natch!) and Giffords French Vanilla ice cream. In TV the ice cream at Kilvins is over $10 a quart, but it is the best I have ever added to me increasingly large hips.
k
On Thursday, I head to Prince Edward Island where I've rented a cottage on the ocean for myself and my best friend. Our mothers were best friends so we grew up together in Nova Scotia. She is the closest thing I have to a sister. Oh yes, and I'm taking my skunky dog Miss Lolli Pup. And my little dog Biggins. And my girlfriend's dog makes three dogs to play on the sandbars while we hunt for periwinkles.

Just like Kate, I'll be ODing on lobster and ice cream.

Life doesn't get much better than that!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Bare -

Have a blast - I also once hear that Listerine or Scope mouthwash was good for de-skunking....

k
Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Bare -

Have a blast - I also once hear that Listerine or Scope mouthwash was good for de-skunking.... k
Kate, I already spent all my money on Massengil Douche (as suggested on another thread). I hope I don't run into any skunks in PEI, but if I do, they'll get douched for sure.

I can hardly wait to hear the ocean and smell the salt water.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Wow - didn't know they made douche anymore. Hand me my smelling salts.

Have a great fun with Biggins, Twisted Sister and your olb/new friend on PEI. Eat lots of mussels....
Old 08-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Wow - didn't know they made douche anymore. Hand me my smelling salts.

Have a great fun with Biggins, Twisted Sister and your olb/new friend on PEI. Eat lots of mussels....
Hold on Kate, don't Swoon
Old 08-28-2009, 05:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
On Thursday, I head to Prince Edward Island where I've rented a cottage on the ocean for myself and my best friend. Our mothers were best friends so we grew up together in Nova Scotia. She is the closest thing I have to a sister. Oh yes, and I'm taking my skunky dog Miss Lolli Pup. And my little dog Biggins. And my girlfriend's dog makes three dogs to play on the sandbars while we hunt for periwinkles.

Just like Kate, I'll be ODing on lobster and ice cream.

Life doesn't get much better than that!
Bare I am sorry I am just seeing this post, as I am sure you have left for your trip already. But just in case you have access to a computer I hope you have a wonderful vacation with your best friend in Nova Scotia.
A cottage on the ocean with your best friend and lobster and ice cream sounds like heaven!! My parents visited family there years ago and the pictures were positively breathtaking!!! Have a ball!!!
Jeanne
Old 09-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Here's what's happining in our world even as we speak.

Hey girls. What a day already.

Gretchen just came over for our dolly to help move Graylyn into her dorm room. They are off to Ohio University as we speak and we won't be seeing our sweet Graylyn until Thanksgiving.

Today is Helene's birthday, so I need to get her gifts all wrapped and out on the hearth, moving slowly, I have a sinus headache. She is looking perky for 44, our youngest daughter, 44. I can't believe it!

Last night around midnight I received my 5000th positive feedback (and no negatives) on my ebay business. It is slower than past years but still feeding into Graylyn's tuition fund.

Gretchen tells me that Colin (16) got a letter yesterday that he made all Ohio band.

Henry is still working and it looks like we won't be down to TV until November 1.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-04-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Dancing Thyme

Happy Birthday, Helene
the sweetest lady I know
next to her Mom
Have a wonderful birthday!!!
The Villages Florida

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Gracie,

Please wish Helene a very happy birthday from us. I hope she gets some fun earrings!

Congrats on the business, but I know you will miss Graylyn. But she will be having so much fun you will surely be happy for her.

Wish you were getting here sooner.....
Old 09-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Sage
Smile Happy Birthday Helene

Hey GG, please give Helene a big Happy Birthday hug and kiss from me. I miss seeing her. hugs, chels

The Villages Florida
Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Kate, I already spent all my money on Massengil Douche (as suggested on another thread). I hope I don't run into any skunks in PEI, but if I do, they'll get douched for sure.

I can hardly wait to hear the ocean and smell the salt water.
I did run into a skunk in Prince Edward Island (not me, but my little dog Biggins). It was the middle of the night, and all I had on hand was a couple of small tubes of Massengil Douche in an "emergency" kit (as suggested by Nonie in a previous post).

I'm here to tell you folks, don't waste your money on Massengil. The next morning we headed to the store and bought the old, reliable baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. From now on, I'm not vacationing without it.

On a cheerier note, Lollipup managed to avoid the midnight skunk, thanks Goddess. So perhaps she did learn a lesson from her skunk encounter two weeks ago.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Ohhh, Poor little Biggins... Maybe now he will be wary. The Fin dog would run right up to a skunk and say "Can we play, can we play..?"

Maybe Fin and Biggins can have a run together on the small doggie side when you get back.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Ohhh, Poor little Biggins... Maybe now he will be wary. The Fin dog would run right up to a skunk and say "Can we play, can we play..?"

Maybe Fin and Biggins can have a run together on the small doggie side when you get back.
I'd like to say it was the first time Biggins was sprayed by a skunk .. but it has happened before. Obviously he is a slow learner.

I'm glad it wasn't Lolli. A ten pound dog is much easier to bathe than a 63 pound dog!

Biggins is looking forward to meeting Fin at DDRR .. for sure! We'll be flapping our snowbird wings and arriving in 40 days. Yahoo!!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Sage

Hey Boomer

I'm hearing rumours that you are secretly planning to slide into The Bubble sometime soon without letting us all know.

I won't embarass you by asking the question on the main site, but can you share your plans with us girls?

I won't be back in TV until the end of October (but then I get to stay for 182 days, yay). Sure would be nice to have a girly getogether while you're visiting TV!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.