Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Many "accomplished" golfers like Sue, (I have played a long time but still can't break 100) many good golfers have a great deal of patience with beginners and truly can help them with rules and directions and club choices.

My husband Sweetie has gone out on the course with many of my beginning friends and because of his patience, calmness and good direction has helped them so much that they are playing well and enjoying the game.

I have been present when some husbands were very impatient and directing and just plain frustrated and have caused everyone in the foursome to have a miserable time.

I certainly understand that it is hard enough to understand this challenging game without feeling stupid every time you " whiff" or dig the dirt or hit it four feet. But just remember that every golfer has been there. It is the measure of their kindness, and patience in the other areas that make them good golf teachers for friends.It makes me impatient to meet Sue.

I hope you do well in this game that you can play for life. You will find that you can quickly find the measure of a person's character on the golf course.

I hope you will let me play in your foursome when the weather gets warm, when Gretchen gets healed, and I get down there.

Keep your eye on the ball Bare.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Many "accomplished" golfers like Sue, (I have played a long time but still can't break 100) many good golfers have a great deal of patience with beginners and truly can help them with rules and directions and club choices.

My husband Sweetie has gone out on the course with many of my beginning friends and because of his patience, calmness and good direction has helped them so much that they are playing well and enjoying the game.

I have been present when some husbands were very impatient and directing and just plain frustrated and have caused everyone in the foursome to have a miserable time.

I certainly understand that it is hard enough to understand this challenging game without feeling stupid every time you " whiff" or dig the dirt or hit it four feet. But just remember that every golfer has been there. It is the measure of their kindness, and patience in the other areas that make them good golf teachers for friends.It makes me impatient to meet Sue.

I hope you do well in this game that you can play for life. You will find that you can quickly find the measure of a person's character on the golf course.

I hope you will let me play in your foursome when the weather gets warm, when Gretchen gets healed, and I get down there.

Gracie, I didn't realize you were still up north with Gretchen. I hope she is healing quickly. Poor thing.

To be truthful, you aren't missing much. The weather is very cool, and most peeps are huddled indoors waiting for warmer weather. I haven't even used my new pink clubs!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Sage

Quote:

This gives me goosebumps. Gracie, you are so kind!

Bare, I've also played a long time and not broken 100. About four years ago, my hubby encouraged me to join a ladies golf group. Before that, I just didn't know any women golfers and didn't get to play much.

My first time out with the ladies group, I was so scared of embarrassing myself. (I did too! Nothing quite ruins a golf shot like tension. lol) BUT... I had the best time. The ladies were fun, warm, accepting and patient. They helped and encouraged me. Some of the the best golfers were the most patient and encouraging.

I agree with Gracie. I think golf builds character-- maybe because it's so humbling. Besides, every once in a while you hit that one great shot. It looks great, it sounds great, it feels great, and trust me, it keeps you coming back.

Happy, happy golfing. (Hopefully sometimes with me!)
Old 01-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Happy, happy golfing. (Hopefully sometimes with me!)
For sure, we'll get a fun group together as soon as it starts to warm up.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Gretchen had her surgery and all is good.

To all of my friends, good news. Our daughter Gretchen had her second surgery on her leg, broken in three places. It was yesterday and the last three pins were able to be inserted. The tissue that had been damaged by improper splinting had healed enough to allow the surgery. It was successful and hopefully Village07 can tell us about good physical therapy and we can bring her down to finish her recovery in Paradise in a couple, three weeks.

I know I have been a pill, posting dumb stuff and hanging on to this forum for dear life. I do have cabin fever as one of you pointed out. Thank you all for your patience. I am slightly less ditzy than I have acted the last month or so..................or NOT.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
To all of my friends, good news. Our daughter Gretchen had her second surgery on her leg, broken in three places. It was yesterday and the last three pins were able to be inserted. The tissue that had been damaged by improper splinting had healed enough to allow the surgery. It was successful and hopefully Village07 can tell us about good physical therapy and we can bring her down to finish her recovery in Paradise in a couple, three weeks.

I know I have been a pill, posting dumb stuff and hanging on to this forum for dear life. I do have cabin fever as one of you pointed out. Thank you all for your patience. I am slightly less ditzy than I have acted the last month or so..................or NOT.
1) for successful surgery
2) you get to go back to Paradise in a few weeks
3) If you're a pill, I want a prescription!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Great! Hopefully the next 2-3 weeks will go by quickly and you all can get back to Paradise. That oughta be "just what the doctor ordered" for Gretchen's recovery.....and yours!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

That is wonderful! So glad to hear it. (about Gretchen, less glad to hear you aren't ditzy like me)

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Sage

Gracie, that is such good news about Gretchen. I'm sure her recovery period will be much more enjoyable in a warmer clime.

I haven't been posting much recently either. Because we are in the process of moving within The Villages. Our Courtyard Villa has sold and it is time to move on. I am sad because I loved that villa a lot. However we decided we needed a double garage and driveway, which is wonderful. And a Man Cave for Fireboy.

I honestly forgot how really horrible it is to have a house listed, and have to clean it every morning to "model" perfection. And then the actual move itself. I think my middle name is now bitchy. Moving is no fun at all!

So now we're in the process of having the new (resale) house painted, unpacking boxes and hanging pictures, ordering sun tunnels, a birdcage, a new glass front door, setting up lawn maintenance and pest control, and getting estimates galore. Arrrrrg. Deja Vu to three years ago when we first moved to The Villages.

I've even ordered an invisible fence from Dog Watch. Me!! (I hereby apologize to all of the people I told "I'd never have an invisible fence.) I once thought they were so inhumane. Now that I've tried the shock mechanism on my arm and could barely feel it, I am much more comfortable. Apparently it is more of a surprise to the dog, than meant to cause punishment.

The first week involves training without the current on. We are required to train the dogs twice a day. The collar merely beeps when the dogs approach the perimeter of the property which is flagged. Then we bring the dogs back to the middle of the lawn and praise them. (You can see me outside in my bathrobe in the early morning running around the coloured flags. A sight to avoid for sure.)

I think the dogs are both starting to get the idea. However if you see Lolli Pop chasing ducks on the Churchill Golf Course, you'll know that invisible fencing doesn't work.

Soon I hope to start newby golfing, play more mahjongg and hang out at LSL again. And please remind me ... never to move again!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

Hi, Gracie, I'm so glad to hear your daughter is doing well and got a good report from her surgery; and that you'll be able to get to TV soon. We'll try to have it warm for you down here when you arrive!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:34 PM

Hi Gracie....I am so glad that Gretchen is doing well....please give her my best, and I wish her a very speedy recovery.

Last edited by Blondie; 01-27-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Gracie,

That is good news. A friend of mine broke her leg last winter. That sure can turn into quite a journey. I am so glad things are better now for your daughter.

(And did you see that strange, bright. shiny thing that showed up for a while today in this Cincinnati sky? And the color blue was there, too. That has been really nice....while it lasted. But now they say a little snow tomorrow. -- Stay warm.)

Boomer
Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I've even ordered an invisible fence from Dog Watch. Me!! (I hereby apologize to all of the people I told "I'd never have an invisible fence.) I once thought they were so inhumane. Now that I've tried the shock mechanism on my arm and could barely feel it, I am much more comfortable. Apparently it is more of a surprise to the dog, than meant to cause punishment.

The first week involves training without the current on. We are required to train the dogs twice a day. The collar merely beeps when the dogs approach the perimeter of the property which is flagged. Then we bring the dogs back to the middle of the lawn and praise them. (You can see me outside in my bathrobe in the early morning running around the coloured flags. A sight to avoid for sure.)

I think the dogs are both starting to get the idea. However if you see Lolli Pop chasing ducks on the Churchill Golf Course, you'll know that invisible fencing doesn't work.

Soon I hope to start newby golfing, play more mahjongg and hang out at LSL again. And please remind me ... never to move again!

Congratulations on the new house and wishing you many happy years in your new home.

Good luck with the invisible fencing! We had Invisible Fencing install ours. The installer/trainer was very professional he taught us how to train the Girls and it works great! He says he has never had it not work but training is the key to success. We love the freedom the invisible fence provides for the girls and the security it provides us. I hope it works out for you as well as it has for us.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I thought I'd start a thread so we can talk about girly stuff like self esteem, sushi, pedicures, sex after 50, etc, and the guys can't hear us. And we can go off topic as often as we want.

Guys, don't read this, it is for girls only. Handie, this includes you!!

BBB, Nonie and Donna: I just know you've got some stuff to say!!
I want a Forum---> "MENSPEAK"... Guns, Gas, Sports, Cars, and more....
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Platinum member

Gracie, I'm so glad to hear that Gretchen's surgery went well. You'll be back here before you know it. Sounds like relaxing in the sunshine is just what Gretchen needs -- and you, too!

Bare, good luck with the move. If they made courtyard villas with 2-car + golf cart garages they'd never sell a 'real' house! LOL
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.