Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Those little fungi are there, almost everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Thanks BK for the tip about the iodine. I've also been told to soak my fingers in listerine and also in vinegar. I also put drops on each night, probably the iodine product.

I definitely should have been more careful about the salon I used. But it is an extremely popular place here in TV and I guess I'm naive.

I have two nails that are very discoloured from the fungus. Of course the rest are tissue-paper thin from having had solar nails.

I'm wondering .. does anyone know how long it takes to fix fungus?
Hey Bare.

It is very possible that the fungus was just hanging out waiting to reproduce itself in a warm dark place with little oxygen. We all have all kinds of little living things sitting on our skin at all times. Usually a nail fungus requires an oral antifungal. The only down side is that you cannot drink alcohol when you take it.

Type in Oral antifungal for nail fungus.

I think this happens to a lot of people and the cleanliness of the salon is maybe not the reason...but I could be wrong.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryGoRound View Post

I need therapy when it comes to dying hair! What a nightmare I have been through! I have long hair that is naturally dark brown and after dying my own roots for 18 years with Natural Instincts, it coated my hair and turned it black! Nothing would get it out! (Don't use Natural Instincts to cover grey roots if you don't want it to coat your hair FOREVER!) Since I have vitiligo and have a white face with no pigment, the black hair looked hideous! (I looked like a DEAD WITCH!) The black hair had to go even if it meant I would have to go to a short spiked hairdo! After 6 1/2 months of nightmare, peroxide and bleach washes, color removers and a born blonde lighteners, the black is gone, FOREVER!!! Hallaluia! My hair is a pretty red and I get lots of complements and I am HAPPY! It damaged my hair, but I managed to keep it conditioned heavily in between lightening, and it's still long! Some fell out, but I wear hair extentions to fill it out, but don't have to and it stills prevails!
Oh, yes, I found out that cheap Revlon Colorsilk (strawberry blonde and light auburn) lighten my roots beautifully after spending many bucks at Sally's trying all their many red colors that looked too red. My hair looks natural!!
Happy days are here again!!
That is such interesting information about Natural Instincts and Revlon Colorsilk. I'm surprised that Natural Instincts would coat your hair ... I thought it was a temporary "wash-out" product. I love hearing feedback about cosmetic and hair products.

Last edited by Barefoot; 02-12-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Hey Bare.

It is very possible that the fungus was just hanging out waiting to reproduce itself in a warm dark place with little oxygen. We all have all kinds of little living things sitting on our skin at all times. Usually a nail fungus requires an oral antifungal.
Hey GG, thanks for the info about an oral antifungal. That never occurred to me. I think the drops I'm putting on my nails nightly are working. The discolored portions of my nails seems to be turning white. Or maybe that's not a good thing.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Bare...

Sounds crazy, but it works!! At bedtime, rub Vicks Vaporub and wear cotton gloves to bed and in about two weeks your nails will be like new.

Another solution is to soak nails in Listerine mouth wash daily morning and night or whenever convenient for about half hour; works fine as well.

Much better than ingesting medications....barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 02-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Default Natural Instincts

Quote:
I need therapy when it comes to dying hair! What a nightmare I have been through! I have long hair that is naturally dark brown and after dying my own roots for 18 years with Natural Instincts, it coated my hair and turned it black! Nothing would get it out! (Don't use Natural Instincts to cover grey roots if you don't want it to coat your hair FOREVER!) Since I have vitiligo and have a white face with no pigment, the black hair looked hideous! (I looked like a DEAD WITCH!) The black hair had to go even if it meant I would have to go to a short spiked hairdo! After 6 1/2 months of nightmare, peroxide and bleach washes, color removers and a born blonde lighteners, the black is gone, FOREVER!!! Hallaluia! My hair is a pretty red and I get lots of complements and I am HAPPY! It damaged my hair, but I managed to keep it conditioned heavily in between lightening, and it's still long! Some fell out, but I wear hair extentions to fill it out, but don't have to and it stills prevails!
Oh, yes, I found out that cheap Revlon Colorsilk (strawberry blonde and light auburn) lighten my roots beautifully after spending many bucks at Sally's trying all their many red colors that looked too red. My hair looks natural!!
Happy days are here again!!
Mary,
I thought I was the only one who had trouble with Natural Instincts. I used it maybe a couple of times (3 or 4?) and I found exactly the same thing - it "coated" my hair to the point it felt like I had gobs of conditioner on it. I washed it a couple of times a day and it still didn't help. It wouldn't hold any curl and kinda felt dirty. Ick! I quit using it and sucked it up and started going to a hairdresser. Now I have to go every 3 weeks to get these dang roots done, and she doesn't always pull the color all the way through, just colors the roots, which is fine with me. I'm still debating about going back to my natural grey this summer. It sure is a heck of a lot easier............
Old 02-13-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower3630 View Post
Mary,
I thought I was the only one who had trouble with Natural Instincts. I used it maybe a couple of times (3 or 4?) and I found exactly the same thing - it "coated" my hair to the point it felt like I had gobs of conditioner on it. I washed it a couple of times a day and it still didn't help. It wouldn't hold any curl and kinda felt dirty. Ick! I quit using it and sucked it up and started going to a hairdresser. Now I have to go every 3 weeks to get these dang roots done, and she doesn't always pull the color all the way through, just colors the roots, which is fine with me. I'm still debating about going back to my natural grey this summer. It sure is a heck of a lot easier............
I thought I was doing my hair good by using a temp color (Natural Instincts) for 18 years! Now I know that it just kept coating my hair and keeping it yucky! I use a permanent color now, Colorsilk, and I am so happy with the price, the color and the outcome. I only dye my roots and I will continue to because I love the natural red color I have, and my hair is long. I use hair extentions to add more hair. It's easier to lighten my dark hair without using bleach because the grey blends the color in nicely!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:21 AM
Sage

Quote:

I use hair extentions to add more hair.
OK, I'm curious. Can you tell me about hair extensions .. where you get them, how much they cost, etc.

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has tried permanent makeup in TV .. eyebrows, eyelashes, etc.

P.S. My nail fungus is almost gone. The doctor said to use a topical fungus solution. Not oral. Too hard on the liver.

I'm not sure I'll ever get artificial nails again. I love the look for sure. But they are so time consuming, and the fungus was disgusting.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
OK, I'm curious. Can you tell me about hair extensions .. where you get them, how much they cost, etc.

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has tried permanent makeup in TV .. eyebrows, eyelashes, etc.

P.S. My nail fungus is almost gone. The doctor said to use a topical fungus solution. Not oral. Too hard on the liver.

I'm not sure I'll ever get artificial nails again. I love the look for sure. But they are so time consuming, and the fungus was disgusting.
I bought hair extentions years ago before anyone knew about them. Recently,
I get them from U.N.I. beauty supply in Ocala and at Holly's beauty Supply in Leesburg, but I buy the hair wefts, they come on a line 5 feet long, I cut them to length and sew them together to create the length and volume I want. I use elastic I removed from old wigs to sew the lines of hair together. The extentions you can buy on line can vary, you never know what you are getting, so I do not buy them on line any longer. Matching your own color, texture and curl is very difficult. I always color my extentions to match my hair. Buying bulk hair is the most inexpensive way to go. Extentions are the same hair with clips sewed on them. They charge extravagant amounts of money just for the sewing, which I do myself. Both beauty supply stores sell the clips. It takes patience to do this, but it's so worth it for me. I get alot of compliments on my hair, and noone can tell I am wearing extentions. I blend them into my long hair by parting my hair and simply clamping downs the small clips. I don't even know I am wearing them. I hope this helps someone!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Sage

I have a friend who just got "permanent" eyebrows. She loves them. She is thinking of getting the eye liner.

Has anyone out there tried it? I would be worried about getting an eye infection from the tattoo dye. And also I would think it hurts, although my friends says no.

Anyone out there have any experience or recommendations?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see we have some new icons to play with.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
I have a friend who just got "permanent" eyebrows. She loves them. She is thinking of getting the eye liner.

Has anyone out there tried it? I would be worried about getting an eye infection from the tattoo dye. And also I would think it hurts, although my friends says no.

Anyone out there have any experience or recommendations?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see we have some new icons to play with.
Are the "permanent" eyebrows the same as "permanent" hair color? I mean, it it the same mixture, just put on the eyebrows?

Permanent eyeliner would save time in the mornings for sure! Bare, your friends who say it doesn't hurt-- have they done it themselves, or just heard? If they have, how long ago? Any complications? Just curious. I love the idea, but don't think I'd do it. Seems risky.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:41 AM
Sage

Permanent eyeliner and eyebrows is cosmetic tattooing, right?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

My daughter-in-law turned me on to "sculpted" nails about 10 years ago. For me, it was an answer to my prayers because my nails were SO soft and were always splitting. I never had nice nails so I appreciated the look and the strength they gave me.

However, I HATE spending the time (and money) at a salon. I would let them go for about 3-4 weeks and they looked horrible towards the end. I know that the nail ladies were always talking about me behind their masks in Korean! Don't ask me how I knew....I just knew!

Now my DIL tells me that she no longer gets her nails done...she now uses "Hollywood" nails.

I looked for Hollywood nails at Walgreens and they had none, so I purchased "Kiss Everlasting French" nails...and I LOVE them!!

They look great (very natural) and I've had lots of compliments. They are not as strong as a sculpted nail, but they give me the added strength that I need and they make me feel good about my hands again! I have had a couple come off when I was using them strenuously (planting, scraping a pan) but you get extras in the box, so you just glue on another one!

These are NOT your old "press on nails". They have greatly improved and I am so glad I found them!

Last edited by ceejay; 03-13-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Permanent eyeliner and eyebrows is cosmetic tattooing, right?
Yes, it is cosmetic tattooing. It is not like hair dye at all. It is very permanent. My friend had her eyebrows done about three months ago. It looks good and she loves it. She is thinking of having eye liner done. She says that it doesn't hurt. The beautician deadens the area with a topical cream first.

I'm just afraid of anything around the eye area. But I think tons of women have done it successfully.

I know we should all treasure our good health and our many blessings. I know this. And we should forget about vanity. But it is tough getting to look more like your grandmother as the years go by.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
My daughter-in-law turned me on to "sculpted" nails about 10 years ago. For me, it was an answer to my prayers because my nails were SO soft and were always splitting. I never had nice nails so I appreciated the look and the strength they gave me.

However, I HATE spending the time (and money) at a salon. I would let them go for about 3-4 weeks and they looked horrible towards the end. I know that the nail ladies were always talking about me behind their masks in Korean! Don't ask me how I knew....I just knew!

Now my DIL tells me that she no longer gets her nails done...she now uses "Hollywood" nails.

I looked for Hollywood nails at Walgreens and they had none, so I purchased "Kiss Everlasting French" nails...and I LOVE them!!

They look great (very natural) and I've had lots of compliments. They are not as strong as a sculpted nail, but they give me the added strength that I need and they make me feel good about my hands again! I have had a couple come off when I was using them strenuously (planting, scraping a pan) but you get extras in the box, so you just glue on another one!

These are NOT your old "press on nails". They have greatly improved and I am so glad I found them!
That is extremely interesting. I've never considered Walgreen nails. Perhaps I'll experiment. I am not eager to repeat the artificial nail process ... so much time and grinding to look good. I always hated wasting two hours every two weeks at a nail salon.

And yet, I look at my stubby little fingernails, and sigh, I remember how pretty my pink and whites used to be.

I have some questions:

Do you wear them all the time? Are they hard to apply? (I find false eyelashes incredibly hard to attach). Do you need to "cut the nails provided to size"? Can you put these nails on for a special occasion (I have a wedding to attend.) How hard is it to remove the nails?
Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Veteran member
Default Karen Scott apparel

Figured I'd try the feminine forum for my question. Back north (Indiana) I used to be able to purchase Karen Scott blouses and tees at L.S. Ayres.

Would love to find this good clothing line down here. Anyone know who might carry it? Have tried finding them via the computer, but no luck. Any suggestions?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.