Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Oh Boomer and Trudy

I did enjoy reading your posts. Boomer it seems many things have changed. Trudy... I bet you were surprised at your wedding.

Weddings in Indiana...well, yes, I did display my gifts for weeks before the wedding for friends to come and see...not so with my 2 daughters though. Also you you had the gifts delivered to the home of the bride and did not show up at the wedding with a gift unless it was money in a card.

Then there is the matter of the time of the wedding....I was taught the wedding should always be 1/2 past the hour...it was simpley bad luck if the hands of the clock were not sweeping up. Does anyone else remember this?

I had to relearn what is done now days when my daughters got married. First mistake I made was having my first daughter register for china which now sits in boxes in her closets. Not to worry ...she is building a new home with a dining room in it ...maybe we will see the china after all. Youngest daughter married a musicain...good thing she never registered for china .

So funny to hear wedding traditions/etiquette and wonder how they came about.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
I still work and my free time is precious. My hair is just getting too long and shabby and I need to have it trimmed. Trimmed....that's all...just trimmed...not styled or colored or permed etc. etc. etc....just trimmed!
I went to Cal's Barbar Shop in the Colony Plaza. I was told I could just walk in...just like men do in a barbar shop. I walked in, all the barbar's were busy but no one was waiting. I entered my name in the book and checked that I was a walk-in. After waiting patiently for 15 minutes, one of the stylists finished up, then proceeded to the back room for about 5 minutes. I thought "Ok, she needed a bathroom break or whatever". She returned, walked over to me, asked what I needed. I told her and she turned away, walked over to the other 2 girls who were cutting hair and began discussing me. They talked, kept glancing at me (making me feel very uncomfortable) and she finally came back. She asked me if I had an appointment. I told her "No, I was told I could just walk in, just like the men do...I don't care WHO cuts my hair...I just need it trimmed". She then proceeded to tell me that they recommend that women make an appointment and would I like to make one? "No", I told her. She told me that they make appointments every 15 minutes and that they all had appointments. THERE WAS NO ONE WAITING!!! And in the 10 minutes she spent discussing me, she could have trimmed my hair! I feel totally discriminated against! Now, I am stuck. My hair is still too long and shabby and now I don't have time to get it cut for at least another week! I walked out in a huff and cried all the way home. Was I asking too much????
Thank you for listening...I feel much better now...even though I am shabby looking.
Ceejay I want to give you a hug! NO, you were NOT asking too much. I seem to go through these types of scenarios with hair stylists a lot myself. We are snowbirds and just b4 we left TV I had my hair cut and colored. Now I am old enough to know that if I get a bad hair cut to wait 4 weeks and get another one and everything will be fine. NOT so with this cut! Big chunks cut out all over, looked like my 5yr old granddaughter had gotten ahold of it. I had to hurry and find someone else and go back the next day for another $75.00 (had some highlights put on over the awful color), and that guy didn't do much better!
My point is I SO feel your pain....especially about crying all the way home. It gets so frustrating putting out all that money not to mention the time...and then constantly having a bad experience! BTW...Men just DON'T get what we have to go through! Hugs to you.......hope you are feeling better
Old 04-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Hi ssmith,

Yes. I know about that one, too. The hands must absolutely be going up the clock. Down the Clock = Bad Luck.

Before you were married, did any of you ever take a piece wedding cake home with you so you could put it under your pillow because then you would dream about whoever was to be your husband?

Boomer
Old 05-01-2010, 05:04 AM
Veteran member

Yes, took the wedding cake home and put under pillow (did not work)! LOL Also, did you ever hear the superstition that when you get an apple, you twist the stem while saying the alphabet out loud? When the stem breaks, whatever letter you were saying at the time is the initial of your future husband. When I was a little girl, back in the 18th century, we did that all the time.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
Hugs to you.......hope you are feeling better
Thank you for your kind words and understanding...and yes, I do feel better after reading your post! Have a great summer back home and God speed your return to The Villages!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
Ceejay I want to give you a hug! NO, you were NOT asking too much. I seem to go through these types of scenarios with hair stylists a lot myself. We are snowbirds and just b4 we left TV I had my hair cut and colored. Now I am old enough to know that if I get a bad hair cut to wait 4 weeks and get another one and everything will be fine. NOT so with this cut! Big chunks cut out all over, looked like my 5yr old granddaughter had gotten ahold of it. I had to hurry and find someone else and go back the next day for another $75.00 (had some highlights put on over the awful color), and that guy didn't do much better!
My point is I SO feel your pain....especially about crying all the way home. It gets so frustrating putting out all that money not to mention the time...and then constantly having a bad experience! BTW...Men just DON'T get what we have to go through! Hugs to you.......hope you are feeling better
Ceejay, I also want to give you a hug! What a bummer. The people at Cal's Barber Shop need a seminar on Customer Appreciation!

I find the whole hair care experience to be extremely frustrating. I had my hair died jet black last year at this time (but sadly, I'd requested light golden brown). It took pails of dawn dishwasher detergent and the whole summer for my hair to lighten.

I've finally found someone I like to color my hair, but the salon plays loud rap music all the time. And they won't change the station. So I'm trying to decide if I should keep the colorist and wear ear plugs, or find a new one.

Also, the woman who colours my hair can't cut it worth a darn. So I have to go two separate places! Arrrrrg.

I'm tempted to cut off my hair so it's an inch long and wear wigs all the time.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Sage

I dont have hair, I have frizz! The only thing I can do with it especially in this tropical climate is pull it up in a ponytail, all the time, every day, and Im sick of it! But I know better then to go to any hairdresser. I have gone to so many in the past and i end up looking like Alfalfa! My frizzy ponytail is the lesser of two evils.

in my next life, I want to have long, silky, hair.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
I dont have hair, I have frizz! The only thing I can do with it especially in this tropical climate is pull it up in a ponytail, all the time, every day, and Im sick of it! But I know better then to go to any hairdresser. I have gone to so many in the past and i end up looking like Alfalfa! My frizzy ponytail is the lesser of two evils.

in my next life, I want to have long, silky, hair.
I wish you'd wear your hair in an afro. I bet it would be adorable.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

Nonie- I used to do a topsytail on my daughter's hair all the time. That would look good on you and give a little bit of a change. I've even seen upside down topsytails lately, and that would be really cute too. If you don't know what a topsytail is, here is the best way I can explain it: with you hair in a pony tail, loosen by taking the hair tie and pulling it away from your head a few inches. Then divide the hair in half between the hair tie and your head, and pull the ponytail through going from the top to the bottom. (or from the bottom to the top for the upside down topsytail) You can then tighten the hair tie up again if desired. If you can't figure it out, I'll do it for you the next time I see you if you would like.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1 View Post
Nonie- I used to do a topsytail on my daughter's hair all the time. That would look good on you and give a little bit of a change. I've even seen upside down topsytails lately, and that would be really cute too. If you don't know what a topsytail is, here is the best way I can explain it: with you hair in a pony tail, loosen by taking the hair tie and pulling it away from your head a few inches. Then divide the hair in half between the hair tie and your head, and pull the ponytail through going from the top to the bottom. (or from the bottom to the top for the upside down topsytail) You can then tighten the hair tie up again if desired. If you can't figure it out, I'll do it for you the next time I see you if you would like.
(OK....let me see if I can do this....pulling hair away....pulling it through....upsidedown...over...under...around and through....OUCH!....look in the mirror.)

EEK! SS! I think I did not do it right. Now I've got that look of perpetual surprise like when a facelift goes oh so wrong. Ohhhhhh, I think Mr. Boomer is going to have to help me cut these rubberbands out of my hair. Geez. I wish the babushka would make a comeback.

Boomer
Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Sage

I did it! I did it!

From the back it looks really cute, but from the front, I look like that old lady farmer in the famous american gothic painting, , the one with her husband that is holding the pitchfork!!!

Im Hopeless! Im seriously considering the Afro Bare,I sure wish baldness would come into style, it would make life soooo simple and all we would have to worry about is beautiful earrings.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
I did it! I did it!

From the back it looks really cute, but from the front, I look like that old lady farmer in the famous american gothic painting, , the one with her husband that is holding the pitchfork!!!

Im Hopeless! Im seriously considering the Afro Bare,I sure wish baldness would come into style, it would make life soooo simple and all we would have to worry about is beautiful earrings.
Nonie, nonie, you are such a nutbar. You didn't tell us .... what did you do?

If you mastered SueS's directions for a topsytail, then congratulations. You must have used a GSP!

Nonie, get Bernie to take a picture with his camera and post it here. I'm lonely in Canada, I need to giggle.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Sage

Sue,
Great suggestion. I just tried it! The upside down one was kinda cute. When I pulled the hair through from top to bottom the hanging piece looked funny. I'll try again in the morning when I'm not tired-- and have on makeup.

I would love additional suggestions for ways to wear long hair. I'd be tempted to cut mine except... I love that it's long enough to put in a pony tail, which is great for when I'm either golfing or don't have time to fix it.

Ideas please.

And Nonie, please post the picture of you in the topsytail. Husband with pitchfork optional.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1 View Post

If you don't know what a topsytail is, here is the best way I can explain it: with you hair in a pony tail, loosen by taking the hair tie and pulling it away from your head a few inches. Then divide the hair in half between the hair tie and your head, and pull the ponytail through going from the top to the bottom. (or from the bottom to the top for the upside down topsytail) You can then tighten the hair tie up again if desired. If you can't figure it out, I'll do it for you the next time I see you if you would like.
I think I finally figured it out! But you need long hair that isn't layered to make it work properly, right? When I do it, I just get the really tufty look.

Nonie, I'm looking forward to your pictures!!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Sage

I'm wondering if anyone has any "cures" for arthritis pain. I have a torn miniscus, but I think arthritis is making the pain worse.

The doctor says to take Tylenol 3 (until I have an MRI). But I don't like to do that. I've been trying a drink called "Elations" which is primarily Glucosamine. I have friends who swear by "Osteo Bi-Flex". I'm also taking hydro therapy in a 91 degrees pool.

I keep hoping for a miracle cure that will make me feel 18 again!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.