Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Sage

Wow, 30 lbs in three months. That's almost.... a .... magic.... bullet.

Pass the Vitamin D!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Sage
Default Yougart that reminds you of ice cream?

I freeze Yoplait Whips and find they satisfy the need for a frozen treat. Actually, I have one every morning with my breakfast. Chocolate raspberry is the flavor I enjoy the most.

Had no idea this thread was so long! One day when I have time, I'll have to sit down and read...and read and read...

Oops, I spelled yogurt incorrectly....sorry about that. Type faster than my brain engages sometimes.

Last edited by pooh; 07-30-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
I need to have one of my ears re pierced. Don't ask...it's a long story.

Any suggestions as to where to go?

I'm not comfortable just going to the mall.

Thanks
Possibly a jewelry shop? I think I had my ears pierced there so many years ago. ......b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Estrogen is a proven cancer trigger. Even artificial (natural) estrogen. If there is breast cancer in your genetic makeup, than even soy milk is something that a physician should evaluate.

I think that you should have your vitamin D levels checked by a regular M.D. Mine were almost non existant. He put me on an extremely high dosage of vitamin D. Once weekly for three months. I lost 30 pounds in that time frame. He told me to continue to take 1000 units a day. I think any additives need to be evaluated by a physician.
I agree with GG that estrogen falls into a "suspicious" zone. I stopped drinking soy milk for that reason.

I took HRT for five years, I think "forever young" was the mantra. And then suddenly, after many years of doctors swearing that HRT was a magic bullet, the whole world realized that HRT could be very harmful. Who knew?

Re Vitamin D .. I thought that sunshine equalled Vitamin D. I'm confused. But it can't hurt to have it tested. So now I'm taking GG's advice. Stand back .... I'm heading to the doctor to have my Vitamin D levels checked. Sigh. Could this finally be a solution to my muffin top?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,484 Times in 1,900 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Bare.

Having vitamin D levels checked is a recent addition to an annual check up. Just for the sake of curiosity, google Vitamin D weight loss. There seems to be quite a lot of information lately.

The amount of vitamin D I took initially was a prescription. I think anything taken as a supplement should be discussed with a physician. Hope it works for you.

I am feeling quite good.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Gold member
Default feel better already

knowing I am not the only one dealing with all this (hot flashes, weight gain). None of my friends nor my sisters have had the excessive hot flashes I'm still having.

I'm almost 60 and started having hot flashes about 2 years before menopause at 55, but of course that was just when the HRT study came out and everyone was getting off hormones. After 2 years of misery (about 20-24 hot flashes a day, mostly at night) I finally went on low-dose PremPro (no family history of breast cancer). I had tried black cohash supplements on my doctor's advice with no relief. The PremPro really helped the hot flashes, then I went off after 4 years - could have stayed on for one more year but thought what the heck, why not get off now. Hot flashes came back almost immediately, but not quite as often or as severe. Only about 4-5/day now, still mostly at night, but only wakes me up once or twice nightly instead of hourly.

HOW LONG CAN THIS GO ON???!!! What is the record? Will I still be doing this when I turn 70?

And Freeda, is low glycemic the same as low carb? Appears to me to be the same?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Sage
Default Just in case anyone uses....

Evamist..... please read this article. May not be news to some, but there are some who might find the info of value to them or those they know.

http://www.webmd.com/menopause/news/...src=RSS_PUBLIC
Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default about that Greek yogurt, etc.

Greek yogurt is new to me. But since finding it, I have been working hard on trying to make myself think it is ice cream. For the past few mornings I have replaced my standard bowl of Cheerios, walnuts, and bananas and/or berries with Greek yogurt, walnuts, and bananas and/or berries. (Yeah. Yeah. I know what you're thinking. You are thinking why am I talking about ice cream and breakfast in the same paragraph. But admit it. -- Who among us has never had ice cream for breakfast -- every once in a while. C'mon, you know you have.) But I digress.

Now, back to the Greek yogurt. I bought two different kinds, Yoplait and one that I had never heard of, Chobani. The Chobani wins with me. The texture is better and the fruit tastes like it might be actual fruit and not some syrupy jelly stuff.

And something else that absolutely guarantees that Chobani Greek yogurt will be my choice from now on -- it's the carton design. -- Yep. The carton design. . .

I like the Chobani yogurt carton design because. . .

As some of you may know, I write sometimes about my dog Annie who is always here beside me when I am at the computer. Annie is past her 16th birthday now, and for those many years she has expected us to share a little of our food with her, and depending on what it is, we do share.

Annie likes yogurt and expects to finish off the carton. But think about those Yoplait cartons and how they are shaped. It is impossible for a dog to get to the bottom of it. I have to assist and rip the Yoplait carton and hold it for her. But with the Chobani carton, I can easily give Annie that last little dollop by setting the carton down on the floor and she can take over, needs no help at all.

Chobani tastes way better than Yoplait, in my opinion anyway. But the fact that my dog can manage the carton on her own for the little leftovers sure is a nice touch. (I wonder if Chobani's marketing department thought of all the dogs that would be happy.)

Here is the link to Chobani's site. You can see the carton shape and other stuff, too, including some recipes.

http://www.chobani.com/

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-03-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Sage

Funny you should mention it. I discovered Greek Yogurt at the grocery yesterday (Monday). The brand I found was called Fage. All live cultures.

I decided to try it but... I had decided that starting Monday, as part of this low GI plan Freeda has convinced me to try, I would eat NO sugar at all between now and Aug. 21. No sugar added that is. I'm eating plenty of fresh fruit. So, I got the plain yogurt, no sugar, no fruit (because the ones with fruit have sugar and high fructose corn syrup and stuff).

Needless to say the plain, unsweetened yogurt by itself was TERRIBLE. YUCK! I added some raw honey, fresh blueberries and raspberries and sliced some banana and mixed it with the plain yogurt. Had it for breakfast this morning. It was good.

Why no sugar until Aug. 21? That's the date of my 40th high school reunion. I'd love to shed 10 lbs by then. It's a great incentive.

So Monday was day one. I ate oatmeal with fresh berries for breakfast. A field greens salad with brocholi, cucumber, radishes, almonds, pamagranade (wierd but on hand-- and good), a little cheese, egg and oil & vinegar dressing for lunch. Some pecans and half an apple for a snack. Salmon rubbed with garlic-flavored extra virgin olive oil and asparagus for dinner, with the rest of the apple for desert.

Weighed this morning. On day one I lost 1 lb!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post

Weighed this morning. On day one I lost 1 lb!
Please may we have an update.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:02 AM
Veteran member

My only concern with the Greek yogurt, is that it can be high in fat. Perhaps its the brand we had. It was made with cream, instead of milk, so tasted delicious, but the fat content was pretty high, if I recall, 10 gms of fat per serving.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
My only concern with the Greek yogurt, is that it can be high in fat. Perhaps its the brand we had. It was made with cream, instead of milk, so tasted delicious, but the fat content was pretty high, if I recall, 10 gms of fat per serving.

EEK! Whatever kind you had sounds quite wonderful and terrible at the same time. Your post sent me running for Choboni's website. I look at that stuff when I am in the grocery store, but I thought maybe I had a lapse or something and the high fat content was what was making me go on and on here about how Annie and I really like this stuff.

Anyway, it's OK. The fat content is zero, zip, zilch in a lot of the flavors but some have more - not much though. The part of the site I am linking here shows all the labels.

(Phew! That was scary for a minute!)

(But ohhhhhhhh, wasn't there a Seinfeld about something like this??? Oh dear! Oh my! Oh well.)

Anyway, here's the link to the labels on the various flavors.

http://www.chobani.com/media/Chobani...tional_web.pdf

Boomer
Old 08-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,484 Times in 1,900 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't recall the Seinfeld thing but I do recall something from Shakespeare, since I hang out with all of you English majors.

"Beware of Greeks bearing yogurt".
Old 08-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
EEK! Whatever kind you had sounds quite wonderful and terrible at the same time. Your post sent me running for Choboni's website. I look at that stuff when I am in the grocery store, but I thought maybe I had a lapse or something and the high fat content was what was making me go on and on here about how Annie and I really like this stuff.

Anyway, it's OK. The fat content is zero, zip, zilch in a lot of the flavors but some have more - not much though. The part of the site I am linking here shows all the labels.

(Phew! That was scary for a minute!)

(But ohhhhhhhh, wasn't there a Seinfeld about something like this??? Oh dear! Oh my! Oh well.)

Anyway, here's the link to the labels on the various flavors.

http://www.chobani.com/media/Chobani...tional_web.pdf

Boomer
Good - glad yours was the low/no fat type. I find yogurt to be generally pretty bland, so when my daughter brought out this Greek yogurt, I was absolutely amazed. It was sooooo good...until I looked at the label.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Sage

I just bought some Choboni's Greek style yogurt and I must say, it is much better than the Yoplait. Sam's Club sells it, 12 containers to a box....4 strawberry, 4 peach and 4 blueberry.

Glad I saw the recommendation here because I wasn't going to try another type of Greek yogurt since I really didn't care for the first brand.

Thanks.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.