Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
Just saw an ad for Old Navy and they have "Cropped Cardies", aka shrugs, on sale for $8.00
Thanks for the info Whalen. Is there an Old Navy near The Villages? We have them in Canada, I didn't know they were in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
One of the jackets in a Coldwater Creek fashion show I went to this week had shoulder pads - if we could only have a closet for each decade . . .
I really regret that I didn't keep a couple of outfits from high school. They would have made great Halloween costumes. I had a turquoise skirt with black poodles that I wore with saddle shoes. Was I hot!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Hi Girls.......

Starflyte, I like Zappo's, too. And their service is so good that I feel like the order has arrived almost before you are finished placing it. There is a warehouse in Louisville and that's relatively close to Cincinnati, shipping-wise. Zappo's sure is efficient.

But I find their website to be a bit overwhelming. Usually when I go there, I am looking for my old faithful New Balance 801's that I have been buying for years. Since I know the brand and style, it should be easy to find exactly what I want. But last time, I gave up, called, and said, "Help!" And they helped.

The shoes were listed in a different section or something that made them hard to find. I wondered if my comfortable NB 801's might be headed toward becoming discontinued. So I bought a couple of backup pairs. Yes. I confess. I hoard New Balance 801's. Since I started wearing them, I have never had Achilles' tendonitis again. The shoes have no backs. And the doc told me to avoid shoes with backs when I can. And since retirement, that's a lot.

And about those shrugs.....

I found some shrugs at Macy's website, but I think Whalen has found the better deal.

Here's Macy's......

http://www1.macys.com/search/index.o...&Keyword=shrug

And girls, now, about those pantyhose.....

Who among you is willing to confess to having to wear those stupid, miserable panty girdles back in the days when there was nothing that needed girdling and before pantyhose had been invented?

Uh huh....a lot of you know exactly what I am talking about.

I remember being so excited to finally get my very first pair of stockings -- my people called them hose. And my mother said the panty girdle was how I should hold them up.....and that's what I used for a few years while waiting for L'eggs to be invented.

But now that I look back on those days of wearing those wretched panty girdles and think about it....ya know, those things sure could double as a chastity belt. I guess Mother really did know best.

Boomer

PS: I want shoulder pads to come back, too. Shoulder pads made the rest of me look skinnier.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I remember how special it felt to wear that panty girdle and hose for the first time. I felt so grown up! Remember how the hose always bagged at the knee and sometimes the ankle, and then you had to pull them up and reclip? And when you got a run, it took off faster than possible. Those runs really ran! Remember putting clear fingernail polish on the runs to keep them from spreading?

The answer to your question as to whether anyone here wears pantyhose -- NO, no and NO! The last time I wore pantyhose was to a funeral in Michigan.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Eternal Member

I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of panty hose.
I must admit if it is a very special occasion (like my son's spring wedding on a beach), I will hit the tan salon or use spray tan. Otherwise, it's black tights in the winter.
- good riddance!
I can't even stand shoes with an enclosed toe!!
Freedom at last
P.S. I wouldn't mind the small shoulder pads returning......Barefoot -I too remember the business suits with big shoulder pads - simulating "power"!!!

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:20 PM

Oh, my goodness!!!! I remember those panty girdle things with hose...basically a garter belt! There were girls in my Junior High that wore their hose with runs in them stopped with RED nail polish....and wore them several days in a row! Remember, back then we couldn't wear pants to school...and bare legs were NOT the "IN" thing...so we had to stretch the hose to the limit! I wouldn't go back to those days for all the Orange Juice in Florida!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Sage

Remember thinking panty hose was actually a godsend because you no longer had to wear either a panty girdle or a garter belt. Oh yeah, the clear nail polish. lol

The last time I wore panty hose... gosh, that I actually can't remember!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

ummm....did anyone....way back then, before, you know, the bumps appeared.....did anyone wear a bra stuffed with Kleenex????

I knew of someone personally who did, and she would shed her tissues here and there.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I tried it once and only once. My whole family was at the drive-in movie. When we kids went to the concession building, I went into the ladies room and stuffed a little bit just to see how I would look. Well, at first glance, my perceptive mother told me to go back into the ladies room and take out that stuffing. That was the end of that!

Thanks for the funny memory, Graciegirl.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

That scenario brings back an incident I will never forget when my close girlfriend (when we were in Jr High School) and I went swimming at Walden Pond in Concord (some of you may be aware of the place). I was somewhat developed and my friend was not at all. Unbeknownst to me, she wore a two-piece bathing suit and stuffed Kleenex in the top. I didn't notice. When we both dove off of the dock into the water.......................I surfaced to find Kleenex surrounding my friend. Yup, talk about her most embarrassing moment. The kids swimming really did a number on her and I was in shock and embarrassed for her as well. Think that was her biggest "duh" moment in her life.

Precious moments.....my friend has since passed on and I hold dear that fond memory of her.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
ummm....did anyone....way back then, before, you know, the bumps appeared.....did anyone wear a bra stuffed with Kleenex????
Gracie, all my teenage friends stuffed with kleenex! Or wore falsies.

Of course, that was before the day when 16 year olds got breast enhancements for a graduation present!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:24 PM

It seems to me that girls are "maturing" much younger today than they did 50 years ago. I've read that all the hormones in our meat and dairy supplies are causing adolescents to mature much faster. I've seen 12 year old girls with the bodies of playboy bunnies! I don't know about you, but I'm glad that I was still playing with Barbie and stuffing my training bra when I was 12.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnrbec View Post
It seems to me that girls are "maturing" much younger today than they did 50 years ago. I've read that all the hormones in our meat and dairy supplies are causing adolescents to mature much faster. I've seen 12 year old girls with the bodies of playboy bunnies! I don't know about you, but I'm glad that I was still playing with Barbie and stuffing my training bra when I was 12.
You are right. There are hormones in our meat. And the animals are given a daily dose of antibiotics. That is why there is antibiotic resistant staph and MRSA on 50% of meats in the grocery stores, according to an article in the Daily Sun today.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
You are right. There are hormones in our meat. And the animals are given a daily dose of antibiotics. That is why there is antibiotic resistant staph and MRSA on 50% of meats in the grocery stores, according to an article in the Daily Sun today.
Yuk, sounds ugly. A very good reason to become a vegetarian! I'm trying, but it takes a lot of self discipline and meal planning. And I'm not good at either! So I decided to become a vegetarian doing baby steps. I gave up beef four years ago, and have mostly given up pork. I'm currently struggling with giving up chicken.

I wish there were more fish restaurants in TV, or vegetarian restaurants. I've tried smoothies with protein powder but they don't work for me. Sigh, someday I'll reach my goal.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Yuk, sounds ugly. A very good reason to become a vegetarian! I'm trying, but it takes a lot of self discipline and meal planning. And I'm not good at either! So I decided to become a vegetarian doing baby steps. I gave up beef four years ago, and have mostly given up pork. I'm currently struggling with giving up chicken.

I wish there were more fish restaurants in TV, or vegetarian restaurants. I've tried smoothies with protein powder but they don't work for me. Sigh, someday I'll reach my goal.
Good for you, Bare! We have found that most every restaurant has some sort of seafood on their menu. We especially enjoy the all-you-can-eat perch fishfry at Mallory Hill on Fridays. Not too much breading and the fish is just delicious. Now, if we can just stop eating those crunchy french fries that come with it . . .

Those smoothies taste better without the protein powder.

And, we love, love, love Sweet Tomatoes!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Veteran member
Default Thor

See it just for the hunk attack!!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.