Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm2760jmm View Post
I worked in the medical field and I feel very strongly that all woman over 40 should have yearly mammogram and pap smear. Bone density every couple years and a colonoscopy every ten years beginning at age 50. Preventative medicine is the best way to fight that dreaded "C" word. Early detection saves lives!! That is why it is so wonderful to live in the USA where we can catch cancer at stage 1 and cure it...not wait till it's stage 4 and too late. If you've ever lost a friend to breast or cervical cancer you know what I mean.
I second this, even though at age 64 I only have a pap smear every two years. But I definitely second the mammogram yearly and bone density every two years. My doc wants a colonoscopy every few years at my age (can't remember exactly how many years--maybe 7?)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default it's been about 5 years...

...since I was a nurse at a large Ob/Gyn office and at that time they were recommending that women with low risk did not need a pap smear every year. An exam that included checking out the abdomen by feel for ovarian cancer yes...every year but not a pap....hmmmm forget at what age they recommended not doing the pap yearly. This was a recommendation from the American College of Gynecology and again it may have changed back again. Also it used to be that Medicare did not pay for yearly pap smears either.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
...since I was a nurse at a large Ob/Gyn office and at that time they were recommending that women with low risk did not need a pap smear every year. An exam that included checking out the abdomen by feel for ovarian cancer yes...every year but not a pap....hmmmm forget at what age they recommended not doing the pap yearly. This was a recommendation from the American College of Gynecology and again it may have changed back again. Also it used to be that Medicare did not pay for yearly pap smears either.
SSmith, thanks for the information. I went online and googled the recommendations of the American College of Obs/Gyn. They said that a woman 65 to 70 can discontinue screenings, but only if they've had three consecutive normal Paps and nothing abnormal in ten years. Your post made me realize it isn't only about cancer of the cervix though. It's also about ovarian cancer. So I'm going to keep keep making yearly appointments with a Gyn for a while, better safe than sorry.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Location: Brockton-Halifax-Marshfield, MA, Jacksonville, FL, Arlington, TX, Village of Fernandina
Default Who do you use in the Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Thanks so much! I will be 61 this year, and I do really appreciate things like artefill that work for me without being overly invasive. I can hardly wait to get to TV to be friends with everyone (two years down the road!)
I'll be moving to the villages in October. Did you find a Dr to do your filler in The Villages? Who did you use?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Barefoot

You're welcome. Glad you got the exact information and posted it...sure would hate to give bad information on something so important!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgentile1010 View Post
I'll be moving to the villages in October. Did you find a Dr to do your filler in The Villages? Who did you use?
I know there is a doctor's office in Southern Trace Plaza on CR 466 that does fillers and botox. It is a nurse who does them and she is busy non-stop all week long. I had an "interview" with her a year ago, but haven't used her. However, based on her experience, I assume she is good at what she does.

I'm still flirting with the idea. Just like letting my hair go grey. I'm not ready to be grey. Many women can accept the aging process gracefully. I admire them. I thought I'd be one of them. Sigh. But I get tired of seeing my mother when I look in the mirror!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Location: Brockton-Halifax-Marshfield, MA, Jacksonville, FL, Arlington, TX, Village of Fernandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I know there is a doctor's office in Southern Trace Plaza on CR 466 that does fillers and botox. It is a nurse who does them and she is busy non-stop all week long. I had an "interview" with her a year ago, but haven't used her. However, based on her experience, I assume she is good at what she does.

I'm still flirting with the idea. Just like letting my hair go grey. I'm not ready to be grey. Many women can accept the aging process gracefully. I admire them. I thought I'd be one of them. Sigh. But I get tired of seeing my mother when I look in the mirror!
I agree with you. I used to think I'd be ok with getting older, grey, wrinkly. But now that it's happening, I'm not ok with it. So, chu-ching!!! My husband can get all the fancy golf carts he wants, and I get to go to the Salon.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:23 AM
Sage

Has anyone tried "Sensa", the new diet system? It is a powder you sprinkle on food. Dr. Oz talked about it on his program this week (but then he recommends a new product every program!). Apparently it works for some people, but not for others. I've been trying it for the past few days.

I'm interested if anyone else has tried it?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Has anyone tried "Sensa", the new diet system? It is a powder you sprinkle on food. Dr. Oz talked about it on his program this week (but then he recommends a new product every program!). Apparently it works for some people, but not for others. I've been trying it for the past few days.

I'm interested if anyone else has tried it?
I haven't tried it, but I did try the raspberry pills he was pushing, and they didn't do a thing except empty my bank account a little! Let us know the results of your experiment, Bare.

When are you coming down? This is our first Christmas down here, and seems so strange putting lights on the outside tree in shorts and a t-shirt!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I haven't tried it, but I did try the raspberry pills he was pushing, and they didn't do a thing except empty my bank account a little! Let us know the results of your experiment, Bare. When are you coming down? This is our first Christmas down here, and seems so strange putting lights on the outside tree in shorts and a t-shirt!
Sensa works in an unique way - different from other diet supplements. I'd be most interested in hearing anyone else's experiences with Sensa. I think I like the product, but I'm not sure yet. Other diet supplements make me crazy because they usually have caffeine and stuff that revs up the metabolism, and they make me walk on the ceiling.

CF, I'm in TV now, but have been sick for a week. A lingering cold that gets better, and then comes back! I'll send you a PM when I'm feeling better. I agree, it is weird for the first few Christmases in Florida, when you see palm trees instead of pine trees. But it's a pleasant transition.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

Hi everyone
Great threads, I found it very interesting, keep up the good work
We close on the 17th Dec, in Gilchrist and will need all the help I can get. Coming to TV at the end of Nov. Love to meet you all
Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Sage

It looks like I'm alone in trying Sensa. I guess everybody got burned by the raspberry ketones also recommended by Dr. Oz. That man must be a zillionaire with all his endorsement money. Well, we'll see what happens.

Has anyone tried Zerona to resculpture their body? I think it's a laser fat reduction method, I see it advertised in the newspaper. Sounds like liposuction but is non-invasive. I can't imagine how it would work. They sure advertise a lot of neat stuff in the Daily Sun. No doubt aimed at neophytes like me who are easily deceived.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by junction29 View Post
Hi everyone
Great threads, I found it very interesting, keep up the good work
We close on the 17th Dec, in Gilchrist and will need all the help I can get. Coming to TV at the end of Nov. Love to meet you all
Love to meet you also. Just send us a PM when you arrive!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Platinum member

I tried Alli a few years back, it seemed to work but I could never remember to take it.

Dr. Oz seems to have a new thing every day that does the same thing the old thing does. I don't watch him anymore.

Keep us updated on the Sensa.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
I tried Alli a few years back, it seemed to work but I could never remember to take it. Dr. Oz seems to have a new thing every day that does the same thing the old thing does. I don't watch him anymore. Keep us updated on the Sensa.
I really don't like Dr. Oz at all, and I usually don't watch his show. But occasionally I get bedazzled by one of his products. Sensa works on your sense of smell. Which makes it a little different from other products. But it's probably just another gimmick.

Once Dr. Oz recommends something, the products usually fly off the shelves at the Health Stores. Sadly, they often don't work at all. It's not that I want to lose a lot of weight, I just want it the pounds to go back where they used to be.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.