Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Bare, I went to downstairs Whitney today & I'm as happy as I can be! She did a wonderful job with my hair & I made another appointment with her in 5 weeks!
Thank you so much for recommending her!
I'm so glad that you liked downstairs Whitney.
She did an amazing job on my highlights and cut.
I plan to use her when I return from Canada.
I really appreciate that you let us all know.
I think it's important that we exchange names of people we feel are worth recommending.

Maybe this winter I'll get up the courage to get a tattoo.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm so glad that you liked downstairs Whitney.
She did an amazing job on my highlights and cut.
I plan to use her when I return from Canada.
I really appreciate that you let us all know.
I think it's important that we exchange names of people we feel are worth recommending.

I won't be due for new highlights for a few months, but I plan to have her do them when it's time. I just love my new haircut & I agree that we should share the names of people we feel are worth recommending. It only took me 5 years to find one who can cut my hair! Thanks again!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I am wondering if anyone has a magic solution for nails that are splitting. I'm thinking of a nutritional supplement. We used to think gelatin helped, but I'm not sure if that does any good. I'm sure it's not a lack of calcium because I get plenty. And my hair seems to be healthy.

For a while I had gel nails. I loved looking at ten perfect nails. But the time spent in salons really got to me. And when the gel nails went, my real nails were bumpy and awful. So I patiently waited for my own nails to grow out.

I have a bucket full of nail hardeners. But I googled it and read that it is bad to use nail hardeners, because you have to use polish remover to take it off. And apparently polish remover is extremely hard on nails. The consensus on google seems to be ... use hand cream frequently.

So for the last month I've been using hand cream frequently. And I was thrilled because it really seemed to make a difference. Then my nails started splitting again. Maybe it's just another one of those aging things. Sigh.

I have always had weak, splitting nails. I used to have acryllic nails but gave them up when Mom and I built our home in TV!

Last year, I stopped at the booth that sells nail files at LSL's Vendor Night. She recommended their nail files and Nailtiques. I bought Nailtiques at CVS for around $9. My nails got stronger but they still split.

I started using Perfect Formula about two weeks ago and I can already see a difference in my nails. I'm using the Strong Nail Strengthening Therapy, the pink gel, and the Strong Nail Daily Moisturizer. I got my kit on QVC but I looked and you can get Perfect Formula at PF's website and on Amazon. I think Ulta sells it too. It is a little pricey! Don't put it on too thick or it peels off! I do think the crystal nail files also helped.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable99 View Post
I have always had weak, splitting nails. I bought Nailtiques at CVS for around $9. My nails got stronger but they still split.
I started using Perfect Formula about two weeks ago and I can already see a difference in my nails. I'm using the Strong Nail Strengthening Therapy, the pink gel, and the Strong Nail Daily Moisturizer. I do think the crystal nail files also helped.
Sable ... OK, that is encouraging information.
BUT, one question .. Do you still need to remove Perfect Formula with nail polish remover?
Because I think remover damaged my nails more than any type of nail growth solution helped.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Sable ... OK, that is encouraging information.
BUT, one question .. Do you still need to remove Perfect Formula with nail polish remover?
Because I think remover damaged my nails more than any type of nail growth solution helped.
Yes. I bought one that said it strengthened your nails. So far, it seems okay.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Have you tried olive oil on your nails. I use it often and keeps my cuticles, and nails from splitting
Old 08-05-2014, 04:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Have you tried olive oil on your nails. I use it often and keeps my cuticles, and nails from splitting
Thanks, I'll try it.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:40 AM
Platinum member

Setting aside illness, part of the brittle/peeling nail problem is menopause, part is heredity and part is environmental.

I use olive oil too- all over myself- or apricot, walnut, avocado…. I buy those at GNC or health food stores. Less expensive than lotions or creams and no chemicals. Particularly good applied after a shower- it soaks right in.

Menopause lessens our ability to retain water- so we have to remember to keep hydrated- that affects our nails too, although we may not realize it.

Many cleaning products, detergents, shampoos, shower gels, have harsher chemicals in them than we may know. They can affect your nail beds.

I have long steered away from ingredients such as Sodium Hydroxide and Sodium Laurel Sulfate/ Sodium Laureth Sulfate.
Do your legs itch the day after shaving? Does your scalp itch? It may well be the product…. there is very little true dandruff- it is more a reaction to what is put on the scalp.

Acetone polish remover is often a culprit- fast working, but too harsh for those with delicate nails. Follow that with an alcohol spray (which many salons do) or a soak in detergent water and you have stripped the mantle of your nail.
I wish they would use witch hazel.

I do my own mani/pedi. I use ONLY non-acetone polish remover and regular polish- not gel. Non-acetone takes a little longer to remove regular polish, but is much safer. I wash it off with olive oil based soap and follow with witch hazel before re-polishing.
As some may know, i had my own salon for many years. That's how I had my manicurists do it.

If the nails are compromised, a good product to seal them while they grow is
Duri Rejuvacote. We carried it in the salon- it is available online.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 AM

Does anyone know if there is a salon in the area that sells Sebastian hair products. I use Sebastian Volupt shampoo and cream rinse, as well as their Volupt volume building spray before blow drying. I sometimes use Sebastian Mousse Forte and one of their hairsprays called Shaper.

Yes. That's a lot of product. But the sizes are reasonable so they last a long time. Even though the products do have salon prices, I find them to be a bit less expensive than some other salon lines.

Sebastian, I am pretty sure, is a part of Wella which is a part of Procter and Gamble. But not every Wella salon carries Sebastian in their product line.

Sebastian works better for me than anything else I have found when trying to get extra volume.

I can schlep the stuff from back home but it would be nice to find it here.

PS: (In case anybody is wondering) Yes. My hair still moves. That is another reason I really like these products.

Last edited by Laurie2; 08-21-2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a salon in the area that sells Sebastian hair products. I use Sebastian Volupt shampoo and cream rinse, as well as their Volupt volume building spray before blow drying. I sometimes use Sebastian Mousse Forte and one of their hairsprays called Shaper.

Yes. That's a lot of product. But the sizes are reasonable so they last a long time. Even though the products do have salon prices, I find them to be a bit less expensive than some other salon lines.

Sebastian, I am pretty sure, is a part of Wella which is a part of Procter and Gamble. But not every Wella salon carries Sebastian in their product line.

Sebastian works better for me than anything else I have found when trying to get extra volume.

I can schlep the stuff from back home but it would be nice to find it here.

PS: (In case anybody is wondering) Yes. My hair still moves. That is another reason I really like these products.
I love these products too and have not found them in my TV stomping grounds. So I've taken to mail-ordering them. Google "Sebastian free shipping." Is it Sebastian, or Sebastien?

Or maybe someone here will know.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I love these products too and have not found them in my TV stomping grounds. So I've taken to mail-ordering them. Google "Sebastian free shipping." Is it Sebastian, or Sebastien?

Or maybe someone here will know.
I just looked at the hairspray can. It is Sebastian.

And now I am going to the pool to fry it all. (It is a vicious cycle. But I guess I am doing my part for a segment of the economy.)
Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Bare, after reading this article, you might want to think twice about it. Yikes!
Tattoo ink poisoning Americans - NaturalNews.com

I knew that some tattoos would cause problems if you needed an MRI, but I didn't know about the ink migrating to your lymph nodes.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 08-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Question

A question for those who have had eye brow permanent makeup or tatooed eye brow.
What important information should I have before haveing the procedure.?
Old 08-22-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I am wondering if anyone has a magic solution for nails that are splitting. I'm thinking of a nutritional supplement. We used to think gelatin helped, but I'm not sure if that does any good. I'm sure it's not a lack of calcium because I get plenty. And my hair seems to be healthy.

For a while I had gel nails. I loved looking at ten perfect nails. But the time spent in salons really got to me. And when the gel nails went, my real nails were bumpy and awful. So I patiently waited for my own nails to grow out.

I have a bucket full of nail hardeners. But I googled it and read that it is bad to use nail hardeners, because you have to use polish remover to take it off. And apparently polish remover is extremely hard on nails. The consensus on google seems to be ... use hand cream frequently.

So for the last month I've been using hand cream frequently. And I was thrilled because it really seemed to make a difference. Then my nails started splitting again. Maybe it's just another one of those aging things. Sigh.
Check with your local manicurist. She might know of some product that will work. Embalming fluid is what I used when I was younger (dated a funeral director). Makes them very hard. Oils will soften your nails. I have a bath & beauty product company and have done much research on the subject. BTW, the best oil for your skin is a light one, like jojoba oil, or sweet almond. Stay away from olive oil. Shea butter for your feet.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:59 PM
Platinum member

Stay away from olive oil? Oh my gosh, Why?
It is a natural antioxidant.
In addition, the vitamin E (olive oil has it!) can also absorb the energy from ultraviolet (UV) light. Thus, it plays important roles in photoprotection, preventing UV-induced free radical damage to skin.

I use a water soluble form of Olive oil to cleanse my face. Exclusively. I have used a refined virgin olive oil as my face moisturizer- twice a day- exclusively for over 8 years. I regularly apply my cosmetics (eye makeup, etc.) over the moisturizer- no problem-o.
My skin still looks pretty darn good, being the old Bat that I am.
I buy these products online at DHC. I have mentioned that source here in previous posts. These products have no odor.

I use regular olive oil (the food grade) for the rest of my body- and often use other seed or nut oils as an alternative. They are natural- have no preservatives and very much agree with my skin. Used appropriately, I am not an oily mess. Nor are my clothes, towels or sheets.

Shea butter for feet? Better put socks on afterward or you will leave footprints everywhere in your house- I found that the REAL stuff is lumpy, greasy, does NOT penetrate and has a distinctive odor that is, to me, musty. I found it more trouble than it was worth- and the pure stuff is not inexpensive.

Embalming fluid for Nails? Back when I was a teenager, there was a liquid, brush on product sold for nails that did indeed contain formaldehyde. Embalming fluid. That was some scary stuff, in my opinion. Pickled nails may be hard, but can't be healthy. If you had some cracks or splits in your cuticle, that liquid penetrated into your body. With repeated use the surface skin of the cuticle died.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.