Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2014, 06:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Does anyone know a hairstylist in TV who can do a shag haircut, short version? (the cut that has been evolving since the 70's) It is still called "the shag" but might have another name, too, now. The secret to getting it right seems to be precision layering. Anybody?
The secret to a proper shag is not precision layering, but being expert at doing a razor cut.
However, razor cutting is random and can never be repeated exactly. So, the first haircut may be brilliant- but when you go a second time, the stylist is working with 'leftovers'. THAT is where the talent comes in. Unless the stylist can navigate well and circumvent the irregularities, the next shag will fall short of being spectacular.

I would suggest instead, a precision haircut throughout, using a razor cut at the perimeter only- around the neck and face. That will give you the wispy edges (which can easily be reproduced) that you desire.
Sorry, I do not have stylist recommendations. I cut my own hair.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
The secret to a proper shag is not precision layering, but being expert at doing a razor cut.
However, razor cutting is random and can never be repeated exactly. So, the first haircut may be brilliant- but when you go a second time, the stylist is working with 'leftovers'. THAT is where the talent comes in. Unless the stylist can navigate well and circumvent the irregularities, the next shag will fall short of being spectacular.

I would suggest instead, a precision haircut throughout, using a razor cut at the perimeter only- around the neck and face. That will give you the wispy edges (which can easily be reproduced) that you desire.
Sorry, I do not have stylist recommendations. I cut my own hair.
I never knew why the second cut always fell short. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:49 AM

Barefoot, thank you for the suggestion.

Uptown Girl, thank you for the information. I was not thinking about it being a razor cut. That makes perfect sense.

Even though the shag is alive and well in various forms in pictures I have seen, I don't see it much in real life. I have to think razor cutting takes a lot of experience and artistry in order to do it right. That is interesting about cutting a shag after the first one.

The shag is my favorite haircut ever.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Norma at Cal's Colony store uses a razor. I have a shag and she gives me a great cut. I keep the ears trimmed and go to her about every 4-5 weeks.

LW888
Old 10-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have a hair question......
I bet Uptown Girl or someone out there knows the answer.
I have developed severe allergies to all kinds of hair color. So I've decided to grow out my natural color.
If it were all gray, I would go blonde and let it grow out gradually. But it is about 60% dark and 40% grey. Really awful.
Right now I have it streaked, but you can still notice the grey/dark roots growing out and I hate it.
I don't want to cut it short, which is what a lot of friends have done to aid in the "going grey" process.
Is there any way to tastefully grow out my natural hair color, or am I doomed to look like a bag lady for the next year or two?

Bare, after having brain surgery and then subsequently having a severe allergic reaction to the drugs they gave me, I was very frightened to put color on my hair but I found a vegetable based color at Whole Foods Market that I used and it seemed to work as far as not increasing the allergic reaction. You may want to look into this while your working through this problem.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 10-30-2014, 09:12 AM

I am a bottle redhead. I was also born auburn. No one here seems to know how to cover the white roots without them coming out pink! Oh well, if anyone in the villages sees an old woman running about town with pink and red hair, just say hi.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoas1@comcast.net View Post
I am a bottle redhead. I was also born auburn. No one here seems to know how to cover the white roots without them coming out pink! Oh well, if anyone in the villages sees an old woman running about town with pink and red hair, just say hi.
Have you crossed over from needing only semi-permanent color to needing permanent color?

Semi-permanent color is when they put it all over at the same time and the color gradually fades until next time.

Permanent color is a stronger process. It is a retouch of the roots only, as they grow in.

We can get by with semi-permanent for a long time but one day the white just gets to be too much and will turn pink.

Sometimes, even with a permanent color process, white hair can be particularly resistant to grabbing color. But there are salon products that should work. Wella is one of the best. It has been around for a long time and can work on even the most stubborn white roots. I think it has more pigment than some of the other salon brands.

Please consult with a professional though because I am not one. But I know what you mean. We do not go gently, do we. A good colorist also has to be a good chemist. It's all about the process. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Have you crossed over from needing only semi-permanent color to needing permanent color?

Semi-permanent color is when they put it all over at the same time and the color gradually fades until next time.

Permanent color is a stronger process. It is a retouch of the roots only, as they grow in.

We can get by with semi-permanent for a long time but one day the white just gets to be too much and will turn pink.

Sometimes, even with a permanent color process, white hair can be particularly resistant to grabbing color. But there are salon products that should work. Wella is one of the best. It has been around for a long time and can work on even the most stubborn white roots. I think it has more pigment than some of the other salon brands.

Please consult with a professional though because I am not one. But I know what you mean. We do not go gently, do we. A good colorist also has to be a good chemist. It's all about the process. Good luck.
I agree, Wella is one of the best. In order to cover my gray, they must use a double pigment die, and Wella's is best for me. Urban Hair Salon across from Walmart on Wedgewood uses Wella. A single pigment only mildly covers my gray roots, after which I look two-toned.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

(snipped)
Quote:
Menopause lessens our ability to retain water- so we have to remember to
If the nails are compromised, a good product to seal them while they grow is
Duri Rejuvacote. We carried it in the salon- it is available online.
Uptown Girl, I went here to see about Duri Rejuvacote, and there are many different varieties. Amazon.com: duri nail rejuvacote

Can you tell me what to use?
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2014, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Hi Bare-
Eventually, I decided to cut my hair into a pixie to get rid of the majority of color. My hair was originally below my shoulders. The pixie was a shock- to myself and to others- and I still had to deal with dark tips, which now looked awful. No way to camouflage the ends.
In retrospect- I would get a great looking wig while transitioning to your new natural color.
During the day, I often wear a baseball hat. It's a great solution, but not for going out at night.
Because my hair isn't silver, it's "salt and pepper", I wrongly thought I could grow it out with just a lot of highlights. But the roots are very obvious.
I actually have a wig that I really like a lot. But pinning up my real (shoulder length) hair under a wig with bobby pins and then a "net" is hot and itchy and uncomfortable.
I think the solution is getting my hair cut in a pixie. Did you grow your hair long again after it turned silver?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
BBB, that was the point of the hair discussion. To bore the men silly. Alhough your story of pink was fascinating. ;D ;D Now, they're gone and we can talk about face creams that work, sex, lip plumpers, good places to shop for clothes in TV, etc.

For instance Spanx .... (if you haven't tried it, you're missing out).
If I use a lip plumper I get a fever blister. Always.
I think not going gently, not going grey or white, is the best image enhancing practice for us. I don't care how beautiful the natural hair is...dyed is better for us.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudoll View Post
If I use a lip plumper I get a fever blister. Always.
I think not going gently, not going grey or white, is the best image enhancing practice for us. I don't care how beautiful the natural hair is...dyed is better for us.
I agree. Going gray isn't something I want to do at all. But I suddenly developed an extreme allergy to hair color, and I've tried at least five different types at hair salons.
I am so allergic that I want to tear my scalp off when they put on the color, and for three weeks after.
Plus I've always thought it wasn't a really good thing to color hair right next to your brain because some of the bad stuff must be absorbed? (Although it hasn't stopped me in the past).

I've never heard of getting a fever blister from lip plumpers. But then I've never found a lip plumper that actually works either.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:34 PM
Default sorry

Quote:
I agree. Going gray isn't something I want to do at all. But I suddenly developed an extreme allergy to hair color, and I've tried at least five different types at hair salons.
I am so allergic that I want to tear my scalp off when they put on the color, and for three weeks after.
Plus I've always thought it wasn't a really good thing to color hair right next to your brain because some of the bad stuff must be absorbed? (Although it hasn't stopped me in the past).

I've never heard of getting a fever blister from lip plumpers. But then I've never found a lip plumper that actually works either.
Right after I wrote that I had to leave and felt so bad about the know-it-all tone of my post. Of course, all those chemicals we use so close to the brain cannot be good for us. And truthfully, I really do like long, mixed, or grey or white hair....it's kind of whimsical....a little youth, earthy...
Yes, the lip plumper gives me a blister and also those long-lasting lipsticks if I use them several days in a row.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:17 PM

Any chance your lip plumper has been contaminated? Or there is a chemical in it that your body can't tolerate. Try an all-natural product. I make lip stains that have no chemicals or preservatives. If you are interested, check out my website: Home | timeout4me. I hope to get a brick and mortar store when we move to TV, or at bare minimum sell at the Farmer's Markets.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
During the day, I often wear a baseball hat. It's a great solution, but not for going out at night……..
I think the solution is getting my hair cut in a pixie. Did you grow your hair long again after it turned silver?
No, I now keep it short - kind of like a tousled boy cut with choppy bangs…. It works best in layers for me (my silver is not uniform) fits my face, and is easy to manage.
I can make it look sophisticated ( for special occasions- like weddings) but mostly do a random piece-y thing for everyday. A little gel or hairspray helps to hold the fullness at the roots…. I use that sometimes.

Since menopause, my hair is less abundant, especially at the temples and crown. So, shorter hair looks like more on me.
I take water aerobics 3 days a week and we ride in our golf car a lot, so with these factors a short haircut, for me, is now the way to go.
1117.photobucket.com/user/uptowngirlpics1/media/b2893355-685c-41d6-bc72-c1d71f277291.jpg.html]The Villages Florida[/URL]
Jeesh- gotta learn how to make these photos smaller! Hope I didn't scare anyone…. HA!

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 10-31-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.