Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
Yes Bare! At Shingles "R" Us! Why on earth are you worried about the Shingles??? Nutjob! Worrying about the Shingles will give you the Shingles! Hahaha!
Chels, you witch, I already tried Shingles "R" Us ... they just sell roofing supplies.

I've already had shingles twice, which is why I am worrying about getting them a third time. I don't have a family doctor and I'm not sure if they give the shots at walk-in clinics. Just thought someone might know.

Speaking of shots, Fireboy got a swine flu shot today. Being a first responder, firefighters are encouraged to get shots. I'm wondering if anyone who lives in The Bubble will bother to get the shot.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Platinum member

Bare, you had shingles TWICE? Oh, poor baby!

I thought that once I you had them you would be immune! (I'm asking because I heard that Canadians know more about medical things. It might just be a rumor, but doesn't everybody go to Canada for modern medical cures?) Does the vaccination work if you've already had shingles once?

Judy
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 11-07-2009, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Shingles shots are very pricey.

Sweetie and I inquired about the Shingles shot at our local Krogers grocery store up north where we get our seasonal flu shots. They cost several hundred dollars. Sweetie got Shingles from our grandson when he had Chicken Pox. It was very painful.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Bare, you had shingles TWICE? Oh, poor baby!
I thought that once I you had them you would be immune! (I'm asking because I heard that Canadians know more about medical things. It might just be a rumor, but doesn't everybody go to Canada for modern medical cures?) Does the vaccination work if you've already had shingles once?
Judy
Thanks uujudy, nice to see you back!

You definitely can have shingles more than once. And I'm told the vacination works even if you've had shingles previously. The vacination isn't readily available in Canada yet. Canada has socialized medicine, most treatments are free. We're a leader in that aspect. However I think most new medical procedures and medicines are developed first in the USA.

I had shingles twice. Each time, for some unexplained reason, I knew immediately what it was. I caught it early, within 24 hours, and started treating it myself immediately. Both time it was confirmed by doctors the following day. I got off lightly because I caught it so early.

If you suddenly have an unexplained rash anywhere .. be suspicious and have it checked out immediately. I know people who've been off work for more than a year. Remember Dave Letterman .. he had shingles and was off work for quite a while. Shingles can be extremely painful and long lasting. It can even cause blindness if you get it on your face.

And on a more cheerful note, it's a beautiful day in The Villages!
Old 11-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Platinum member

Hi GracieGirl! Good talking to you again! I think the shingles vaccination was $225 back in September when The Villages had the flu shot clinics at the recreation centers. Anybody who's had shingles would tell you that it's worth every penny.

Bare, I wish I'd known I still needed the shot back in September. Mr. Judy got his at flu shot time back in Utah. He never had shingles, but he saw what I went through. My good friend (we diagnosed her over the phone) got shingles on her head. She went through 3 doctors who told her to keep an eye on "that rash" and was finally diagnosed by her eye doctor. By that time she had some severe damage to her cornea, and now she has scarring on her eye.

Folks, Bare is absolutely right. If you have a strange rash or a group of little blisters, see a doctor immediately. I believe you only have 48 hours if you want antiviral medicine, because it doesn't work after that. ( I'm not a doctor; I just play one on totv) I could be wrong. Is there a doctor in the house?
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 11-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

About 15 yrs ago, I suffered with shingles on my head (over the left eye) and although it didn't go into my eyes, my eyes became infected (but not shingles infection) which, thank goodness, had no lasting effect on my eyes and cleared up okay. Very so very painful.

Bill also had a bout of shingles a couple of years ago around his lower back and he also was in terrible pain.

BF, I did see an ad about shingles injections in TV and I can't recall where I saw it. It had to be either the TV Sun newspaper ad or in the new TV book that was just published. So sorry to not have this info for you, I've search the Sun ads daily and don't see it. Haven't looked at the magazine yet though. Do you think that the hospital would have that information for you?

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 11-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Sage

Exciting news .. I met Boomer today.

Yes, she does exist, although she seems to be travelling incognito. She came to the Dog Park and tracked me down. What a detective.

She is really cute and young and personable. If you ever get to meet her, I know you'll like her. I wish she'd spend more time with us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the same time I'm excited to have met Boomer, I am just so very sad that we lost Muncle. I feel like I've lost a treasured friend.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Bare and Boom

Sorry I missed you all - was at DDRR earlier today.

k
Old 11-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Sage

Kate. We need to meet up. Hope to see old friends tomorrow night at Havana.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:19 PM

Bare, I got a Shingles vaccination from my local doctor here in TV. I think it cost $100 or $200.

I know adults who had shingles, and I do not ever want to get Shingles.

Emily
Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily View Post
Bare, I got a Shingles vaccination from my local doctor here in TV. I think it cost $100 or $200. I know adults who had shingles, and I do not ever want to get Shingles.
Emily
Thanks Emily. Because I'm Canadian I don't have a family doctor here in TV. I called a local Walk-In Clinic but they don't give the shots. I guess I'll just keep poking around until I find someone who will innoculate me.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default TWO LOCAL SINGLES RESULTS for Barefoot

Hi BF: Hope this helps......b

Below is a list of locations that may offer ZOSTAVAX

If a health care provider that you are looking for isn't listed, call the office directly to ask if they offer ZOSTAVAX.

Please contact the location directly before your visit to obtain complete details including vaccine availability and ability to process different types of insurance claims if you have insurance to cover the vaccine.

Currently our database only lists pharmacies, but your regular doctor may also carry ZOSTAVAX. You may want to call to find out if your regular doctor has the vaccine.

LEESBURG FAMILY MEDICINE ACCEPTING NEW PATIENTS
201 LAGRANDE BLVD
LADY LAKE, FL 32159
(352) 787-1324
Get Map

EMMANUEL CHRISTIAN HEALTH CENTER ACCEPTING NEW PATIENTS
918 ROLLING ACRES RD
STE 1
LADY LAKE, FL 32159
(352) 259-1991
http://www.vivianjwoodardmd.com
Get Map

This database is populated with information provided by the location providing ZOSTAVAX. The inclusion of locations in the Merck & Co., Inc. database is not an endorsement of the locations, nor is Merck making representations or guarantees about the qualifications, competence or skills of any health care provider.

ZOSTAVAX is a vaccine that can help prevent Shingles in adults 60 years of age or older.
Once you reach age 60, the sooner you get vaccinated, the better your chances of protecting yourself from Shingles. ZOSTAVAX is given as a single shot. ZOSTAVAX cannot be used to treat Shingles, or the nerve pain that may follow Shingles, once you have it. Talk to your health care professional to see if ZOSTAVAX is right for you.

Important Safety Information
ZOSTAVAX may not protect everyone who gets the vaccine.
You should not get ZOSTAVAX if you are allergic to any of its ingredients, including gelatin or neomycin, have a weakened immune system, take high doses of steroids, or are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Possible side effects include redness, pain, itching, swelling, warmth, or bruising at the injection site, as well as headache.
ZOSTAVAX contains a weakened chickenpox virus. Tell your health care provider if you will be in close contact with newborn infants, someone who may be pregnant and has not had chickenpox or been vaccinated against chickenpox, or someone who has problems with their immune system. Your health care provider can tell you what situations you may need to avoid.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Please read the Patient Product Information or Prescribing Information and discuss it with your doctor or health care provider.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 11-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Sage
Default Carpet Cleaning

Just wondering ... I need to get my carpets cleaned. I always think that steam cleaning, where they take away dirty water, is preferable to "dry" cleaning. Any thoughts?

I see that Scott Brown from Eco Power and Lotto are two cleaners that have been recommended on previous threads. Does anyone know anything about them?

P.S.
Thanks Barb for the Shingles Vacine info. I found a Walk-in Clinic over on Highway 441 who will give the shot for $220. I talked to a few family doctors but they all insist I must be "processed" as a new patient and pay an additional $150 on top of the shingles vacine cost.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Sage

I think steam cleaning is the best carpet cleaning and I need to look into it too. A friend had her whole house ( Whispering Pine) cleaned for less than two hundred dollars but I will have to ask her who she used. They did a great job.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Sage

I booked "Lotto" cleaners for Sunday morning to steam clean the carpets. He has been recommended on this site. I'll let you know what I think.

Having a house for sale, as many of you know, is an exhausting experience! I seem to be spending all my time picking up and cleaning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.