Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Eternal Member
Default Here you go, Gals

Wonder if this is taught at the Learning Center?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a2DQC-ghio[/ame]

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Sage

Love your shelf! Hilarious islandgal. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I'm still laughing!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Thanks for the laugh, Islandgal. That is really funny.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Sage

Whenever I see a shelf, I am immediately obsessed by a burning desire to put a doilie and a few knick nacks on it! Beware of exposing your shelves to me!

What a funny video Islandgal, I havant tried those tummy exercises yet.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

IslandGirl, Thanks, what a great way to start my day.
This is one class where I would excel.

Last edited by duffysmom; 04-18-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Bare, I have a Roomba. It has good points and bad points. First, though, you should know that it is not a vacuum cleaner. It's more like a carpet sweeper. It has a brush that sweeps lint and debis into a little cup, but it doesn't vacuum. It works better on floors than it does on carpets. I have a huge kitchen floor in Utah, and it's wonderful for the kitchen and back hallway. It tends to get stuck on throw rugs, so you have to pick them up before you use it. You also have to make sure your electrical cords for lamps and computers are off the floor, or it can pull the lamp down. When it bumps into something it turns around and goes in another direction. If you have fragile vases and pots on the floor you should protect them. It's a lot louder than I expected it would be. I thought I could turn it on and go to bed and get up to a sparkling clean house. Believe me, you can't sleep while it's working. Rrrrrmmmmmmm, bang, bang, rrrrrrrmmmmmm, bang, bang bang.....
On the other hand, after you have removed your throw rugs, the kitty dishes, looped your computer cord over the chair, lifted your lamp cords off the floor, and moved your bar stools to another room, it works all by itself while you're taking a shower, and it really does go back to the charger and plug itself in.
I'm on the brink of purchasing a Roomba, the robot vac that cleans your house while you go shopping. How cool is that. But I have a feeling that if the Roomba really worked amazingly, every single household would have one.

The information above from uujudy was posted in January 2009. It sounds as if the 2008 Roomba was a carpet sweeper and not a vacuum cleaner at all. I'm looking at an ad right now and it definitely says it vacuums carpets. I'm way too lazy to put away furniture and throw rugs and lamps and power cords and dog dishes .. that is more work than vacuuming!

Anyone out there have any Roomba experience?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default Hire a Cleaner, they do it all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm on the brink of purchasing a Roomba, the robot vac that cleans your house while you go shopping. How cool is that. But I have a feeling that if the Roomba really worked amazingly, every single household would have one.

The information above from uujudy was posted in January 2009. It sounds as if the 2008 Roomba was a carpet sweeper and not a vacuum cleaner at all. I'm looking at an ad right now and it definitely says it vacuums carpets. I'm way too lazy to put away furniture and throw rugs and lamps and power cords and dog dishes .. that is more work than vacuuming!

Anyone out there have any Roomba experience?
Yes BF, you need to hire a cleaning person who can do it all, not just the floors. It sure is worth it and doesn't even break the bank....b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 04-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191 View Post
Yes BF, you need to hire a cleaning person who can do it all, not just the floors. It sure is worth it and doesn't even break the bank....b
You know what Barb? You're absolutely right. That is a brilliant idea. And well worth the money.

Scratch the Roomba idea.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

We just returned from a family wedding. It was fun. But the most fun of all was being seated at dinner across from the mother-of-the-bride's best friend from high school. This woman is from Alabama and is one of the funniest people I have ever met. We got into discussing all the tizzy that can come with weddings, the tizzy over doing things just so.

I told her that I had actually wrestled with a little angst over the fact that when I sent the gift of a check, before the wedding, I made it out to the bride only, but that after I did so, I thought, "Uh oh. The bride is 26." -- She probably thought it was weird that the check was made out to just her and did not include the groom's name. No and in sight. Not even an or on that "Pay to the order of" line. I started to wonder if I had possibly caused our niece to fret, asking herself, "Ohhhhh, what is Aunt Boomer thinking? Does she think he is going to abandon me at the altar?"

Now, being of an age, of course, we all know that is how it was always properly done in the past. Before the wedding? A check is made out to the bride only. Now? Oh... who knows?

Anyway, after I got a consensus that I was absolutely and perfectly correct in the traditional way of making out that check, we went on to discuss other wedding customs. For instance, my wedding gifts (from my first wedding that is) were displayed in the dining room of my parents' house in the weeks before the wedding. That was so my mother's friends could stop by to "view" them. (It was a long time ago.)

Then we got to talking about whether or not we had been to a wedding with a groom's cake, which seems to be a Southern custom. (Yes. I had. My sister had one made for her daughter's wedding last year. My mother's Southern influence is still with us.)

And that was when my new friend from Alabama told me about a book that I need to read because it is pretty hilarious. She had sent it to my sister-in-law before the wedding we were attending.

The book is called, "Somebody Is Going To Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide To Hosting the Perfect Wedding." I went to the bookstore today to look for it. But it was not there, and so I have it on order. I will find out if some of these things that have happened in my Ohio life are as a result of Southern influence. Or maybe all of you had your wedding gifts on display for weeks, too.

(And, btw, not a wedding thing, but has anybody else ever been taught that it is improper to display candles with a brand new wick? According to what I learned, growing up, you should always "touch the wick" -- with a flame so that it is burned. Light it and blow it out. Otherwise, I supposedly would be considered quite tacky with my candle display with untouched wicks. Oh my! )

Boomerbelle
Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Eternal Member

Yes, Boomer, I grew up in Virginia being told about quickly lighting new candle wicks and I still do it.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgal View Post
Yes, Boomer, I grew up in Virginia being told about quickly lighting new candle wicks and I still do it.
Oh, islandgal, do you ever secretly want to touch the wicks at somebody else's house? Ohhhh, it is so hard not to. But that would be so rude. I just can't. But I want to.

Boomer
Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 AM
Veteran member
Angry I just need to vent!!!!

I still work and my free time is precious. My hair is just getting too long and shabby and I need to have it trimmed. Trimmed....that's all...just trimmed...not styled or colored or permed etc. etc. etc....just trimmed!
I went to Cal's Barbar Shop in the Colony Plaza. I was told I could just walk in...just like men do in a barbar shop. I walked in, all the barbar's were busy but no one was waiting. I entered my name in the book and checked that I was a walk-in. After waiting patiently for 15 minutes, one of the stylists finished up, then proceeded to the back room for about 5 minutes. I thought "Ok, she needed a bathroom break or whatever". She returned, walked over to me, asked what I needed. I told her and she turned away, walked over to the other 2 girls who were cutting hair and began discussing me. They talked, kept glancing at me (making me feel very uncomfortable) and she finally came back. She asked me if I had an appointment. I told her "No, I was told I could just walk in, just like the men do...I don't care WHO cuts my hair...I just need it trimmed". She then proceeded to tell me that they recommend that women make an appointment and would I like to make one? "No", I told her. She told me that they make appointments every 15 minutes and that they all had appointments. THERE WAS NO ONE WAITING!!! And in the 10 minutes she spent discussing me, she could have trimmed my hair! I feel totally discriminated against! Now, I am stuck. My hair is still too long and shabby and now I don't have time to get it cut for at least another week! I walked out in a huff and cried all the way home. Was I asking too much????
Thank you for listening...I feel much better now...even though I am shabby looking.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default If you don't mind my 2 cents.

I always thought that wedding rules were the same everywhere.
I will tell you what happened at my wedding. I got married in Hawaii (I was living there and married a local) and most of my family was in NY and New England. So I opted for a small wedding. When I came down the alise there where only 10 people in the church. Apparently in Hawaii the churches (for the most part) are kind of small, and the weddings are huge, 300-800 not unusual, so people only come to the church if they get a separate personal hand written invitation. No one told the mainland haole. Everyone showed up for the reception. They give money as gifts but as I was not a local I also got 13 rice cookers I guess they had heard that I made long grain rice, so figured my new husband would go into shock. His friends also dropped by with raw fish about twice a week for months in fear for his diet.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Oh Boomer and Trudy

I did enjoy reading your posts. Boomer it seems many things have changed. Trudy... I bet you were surprised at your wedding.

Weddings in Indiana...well, yes, I did display my gifts for weeks before the wedding for friends to come and see...not so with my 2 daughters though. Also you you had the gifts delivered to the home of the bride and did not show up at the wedding with a gift unless it was money in a card.

Then there is the matter of the time of the wedding....I was taught the wedding should always be 1/2 past the hour...it was simpley bad luck if the hands of the clock were not sweeping up. Does anyone else remember this?

I had to relearn what is done now days when my daughters got married. First mistake I made was having my first daughter register for china which now sits in boxes in her closets. Not to worry ...she is building a new home with a dining room in it ...maybe we will see the china after all. Youngest daughter married a musicain...good thing she never registered for china .

So funny to her wedding traditions/etiquette.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.