Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

For arthritis, Aleve works best for me. It takes a couple of days to kick in, but when it does, you'll know it.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Oh Bare.

I know that hurts. Sweetie had one too, and it did heal, but it doesn't happen often. He did it when squatting and he never complains about things but that really laid him low.

He was prescribed a higher level of ibuprofen than available over the counter. I don't know what you have available in Canada. He was scheduled for surgery, but it cleared up before that happened.

My GP takes glucosomine, so I would be thinking that could help. I know you don't want to hear this but surgery can fix that tear.

Sorry you are not feeling good, Bare.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

I'm with K-9 on this one....I take Aleve.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Platinum member

Does anybody remember Dr. Mirkin, who advertised on totv long ago? I signed up for his e-zine, and one thing he said to do to alleviate arthritis pain was to avoid eating mammal meat. (There was an entire page of scientific reasons for this, which I promptly forgot) Like you, Bare, I don't like to take medicines or chemicals if I don't have to, so I thought quitting the mammal meat for a month or so would be an easy experiment. There are plenty of chicken, fish & pasta dishes to enjoy.

After about 3 weeks of my experiment some friends asked me how it was working, and I told them I didn't think it was working at all. lol I stayed with the diet, but after about a month we were invited to a neighbor's for a steak dinner cookout. Who can resist? Ay carumba! The next morning my old knees could barely get me out of bed. Then I remembered... that was how they used to feel all the time. It might be worth giving up mammal meat for a while to see if it works for you?

On the other hand, my sister-in-law's vet prescribed glucosamine for her golden retriever, and the ancient, arthritic dog was like a puppy again!

I hope you're feeling better in no time!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has any "cures" for arthritis pain. I have a torn miniscus, but I think arthritis is making the pain worse.

The doctor says to take Tylenol 3 (until I have an MRI). But I don't like to do that. I've been trying a drink called "Elations" which is primarily Glucosamine. I have friends who swear by "Osteo Bi-Flex". I'm also taking hydro therapy in a 91 degrees pool.

I keep hoping for a miracle cure that will make me feel 18 again!

I kneed you to get better soon!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Does anybody remember Dr. Mirkin, who advertised on totv long ago? I signed up for his e-zine, and one thing he said to do to alleviate arthritis pain was to avoid eating mammal meat. (There was an entire page of scientific reasons for this, which I promptly forgot) Like you, Bare, I don't like to take medicines or chemicals if I don't have to, so I thought quitting the mammal meat for a month or so would be an easy experiment. There are plenty of chicken, fish & pasta dishes to enjoy.

After about 3 weeks of my experiment some friends asked me how it was working, and I told them I didn't think it was working at all. lol I stayed with the diet, but after about a month we were invited to a neighbor's for a steak dinner cookout. Who can resist? Ay carumba! The next morning my old knees could barely get me out of bed. Then I remembered... that was how they used to feel all the time. It might be worth giving up mammal meat for a while to see if it works for you?

On the other hand, my sister-in-law's vet prescribed glucosamine for her golden retriever, and the ancient, arthritic dog was like a puppy again!

I hope you're feeling better in no time!
Hey UUJudy, your post is very interesting. I've never heard the term "mammal meat" and had to look it up on Wikipedia! I've never eaten lamb or veal or (shudder shudder) horse. I had a horse named Jets Encore for 23 years. I won't even give my dogs horse meat! I gave up beef about four years ago. I just couldn't stand to look at the cows in the trucks going to the slaughter house and feel guilty any more.

Off topic. Anyway, I can't give up mammal meat because I don't eat it. But I guess I'd probably feel far worse if I hadn't given it up.

Some people swear by Glucosmine and others find it doesn't help a bit. Others swear by fish oil and I'm taking that also. It doesn't seem to help, but I have lots of fishy burps .. uggggg! I'm really hoping that spending an hour a day in a 91 degree pool will help.

I've heard Alleve is great, but I think it is a blood thinner and I'm not allowed to take those. I guess I'm stuck with Tylenol until they figure it my knee injury out. When I take Tylenol, it definitely eases the pain. But I don't want to spend the rest of my life taking tylenol.

I has arthoscopic surgery on both knees 20 years ago. That isn't a walk in the park either. I hope I don't have to do that again.

Graciegirl, I'm encouraged that Sweetie's injury healed without surgery. And PTurner, you're a nutbar!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Default Urban Hair Studio uses Wella Professionals

You are correct about Wella, it is great for grey hair and very high quality hair color. Urban Hair Studio right off of CR 466 past Walmart uses Wella.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

While channel surfing one night last week, I found a new sitcom on TV Land. I really like good sitcoms, but they don't make 'em like they used to and so I don't watch many of the new ones. But this one looks pretty good so far. I saw the pilot episode of "Hot in Cleveland."

All the actresses are really well known, especially Betty White. Betty got all the best lines -- which is as it should be I do think. The writing is not up there with "Golden Girls" but, hey, what is? But there are many good lines in this one. Lines that women will love.

The other actresses are Valerie Bertinelli and the woman who played Daphne on "Frasier" and also the woman who played Nina on "Just Shoot Me." It's a great cast.

The story starts when three women from Los Angeles are on their way to Paris for a girlfriends' trip when the plane has to make an emergency landing in Cleveland.

Here's the link if you would like some details.

http://www.tvland.com/shows/hot-in-c...FQ0hDQodjktK7A

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-24-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Sage

Boom, I heard about that show and I've heard that it was excellent. Betty White is just amazing. Wish we could all be that bright as we age. Sadly, I don't think we get the show in Canada.

On another topic ....

While I'm in exile, I'm trying to lose weight. Oh, I know, boring, what else is new. Aren't we all.

I'm thinking this would be a great place to exchange weight loss tips. Not the old "eat less and exercise more". Who the heck needs to hear that. But other good ideas we've discovered.

OK, I'll start.

Eat a dill pickle with every meal. The vinegar in the pickle will stop your blood sugar from spiking and you won't get hungry again right away.

Jello is your friend. Keep bowls and bowls of it in your fridge in different colours. Think of it as dessert, not coloured water. You can eat unlimited amounts.

Get lots and lots of sleep. Sleep creates endorphins that make you less hungry. Oh, maybe I just made that up, I'm not sure.

Now it's your turn.

Last edited by Barefoot; 06-24-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Platinum member

Boomer, I watched the pilot for Hot in Cleveland, and settled in for the next show (the TV guide had 2 episodes back to back), but the next show was the same as the first show, and this week was the same! Did they only make one episode? Have you seen another?

Bare, thanks for the pickle tip. I'll definitely give it a try. Btw, don't underestimate the benefits of fiber. I can hear you all saying, "Ewwww," but it works. When Mr. Judy is gone for a few weeks I'll make a big pot of chili, and that will be my main meal every day until it's gone. Then I'll make a big pot of bean soup for the next week. . . (You can understand why I only do this when I'm alone). I have fresh fruit or steamed veggies (all you can eat) for the other meals. My tv-watching snack food is popcorn. By the time Mr. J flies back to Florida I've easily lost 5 pounds, sometimes more. You can eat all you want, but be sure to open the windows.
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 06-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Boomer, I watched the pilot for Hot in Cleveland, and settled in for the next show (the TV guide had 2 episodes back to back), but the next show was the same as the first show, and this week was the same! Did they only make one episode? Have you seen another?

Bare, thanks for the pickle tip. I'll definitely give it a try. Btw, don't underestimate the benefits of fiber. I can hear you all saying, "Ewwww," but it works. When Mr. Judy is gone for a few weeks I'll make a big pot of chili, and that will be my main meal every day until it's gone. Then I'll make a big pot of bean soup for the next week. . . (You can understand why I only do this when I'm alone). I have fresh fruit or steamed veggies (all you can eat) for the other meals. My tv-watching snack food is popcorn. By the time Mr. J flies back to Florida I've easily lost 5 pounds, sometimes more. You can eat all you want, but be sure to open the windows.
I'm laughing UUJudy. I know exactly what you mean. I make a diet soup which is mainly vegetables, especially cabbage, but I add lentils. And I also add a few cut-up low-fat hotdogs, and lots of spices. You can eat that stuff endlessly and never gain weight.

But there is a price to pay when you eat a lot of fibre! I make my diet soup when Fireboy is working long shifts at the Fire Hall! Or at the lake cottage.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Platinum member

Sounds yummy! Bare, can you share the recipe? I love cabbage, and it sounds like a nice break from the beans in the chili and the bean soup. I'm especially interested in the spices. I have no spice gene. Other than onions and salt & pepper, I never know what spices to use.
Thanks!
Judy
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 06-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Green Smoothie to lose weight

Here's my diet tip: I make "green" smoothies. You take anything green like spinach or turnip greens, etc., and add fruit. Blend it up and you have a yummy drink that is healthy and fills you up just like a meal. You can add nuts (cashew, almond, etc) to help thicken. Use any kind of fruit or veggies, all raw. Here's an example of what I throw in my blender:

1/2 cup plain unsweetened yogurt
2 cups greens (spinach, turnip greens, etc. - uncooked)
1 carrot
1 small tomato
1/4 cucumber
2 cups frozen strawberries (more or less)
1/2 frozen banana
3/4 cup Splenda or other sweetener to taste

If you don't have frozen fruit, then just throw in a couple of ice cubes. You can use any kind of fruit, but I mostly use berries because they don't cause blood sugar spikes. This recipe is best with a high-power blender. Yum!
Old 06-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Veteran member
Talking Speaking of chili ~~

My all time favorite healthy/high fiber meal is black bean chili made with ground turkey and lots of chopped celery, garlic, tomatoes, a cup of grated carrots & more navy beans, spiced with chili powder and curry powder. The last 8 minutes of cooking, I throw in a cup of whole grain elbow pasta
Old 07-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default The eyes have it -- or not

Hi Girls,

A question -- Has anybody used StriVectin-SD eye cream?

There is a story behind this question, of course. But for now, I gotta get out of here. Today is Boomette's birthday and I have to finish getting ready to go to the party later.

She was born on the 4th of July so we named her ette.

A happy 4th of July to everybody.

(I wonder if I should ask Boomette if she is tired of red, white, and blue birthday cakes with sparklers on top instead of candles.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-04-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.