Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Sage

Thanks Boomer. We also watched "Hot in Cleveland" for the first time last night. I saw Valerie Bertinelli promoting it awhile back and had totally forgotten about the show.

The scene when Betty White came into the kitchen with her hair dyed was hilarious and very reminiscent of kitcen table talks and one liners from "The Golden Girls." It seemed like Betty White's character is similar to Sophia Petrillo in "The Golden Girls." Estelle Getty was great in that role.

I really like Wendie Malick. She gets better with age? "Just Shoot Me" was sooo funny. Her timing is great.

And what about that Jane Leeves. My husband and I debated for a minute if that was Daphne Moon from "Frasier." And then in walks Newman from "Seinfield."

IMHO Valeria Bertinelli is not a very good actress. My husband kept saying, "Who cares. She is sooo beautiful. Leave my Barbara alone. (From her years on "One Day at a Time.")

I wonder how the LeBron James thing will affect the show?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I know the link to "Hot in Cleveland" has already been posted in this thread. But here it is again. The reason I am putting it here is because on the lower left of the opening screen, there is a schedule of repeats of the shows so far.

The one called "Birthdates" is especially funny. They draw names and have to find a date for the person whose name they get. It is a fiasco except for Betty White's date. Can't remember which character found Betty's date for her, but she did it by emailing the senior center and got the only one who knew how to email back. The scenes with Betty White and her new boyfriend are wonderful.

I am glad to hear you girls like the show.

And Barefoot, I bet when you get to see it, you will like it, too. (And talk about needing to get a life....geez....here I am acting like I am somebody's agent on "Hot in Cleveland.")

(And I agree that some of those channels sure manage to bury a show and seem to work against it with how the schedule works or does not work.)

So anyway, here is the link that shows when the DVR can catch the other episodes. They are running all of them on Saturday. A DVR is a wonderful thing.

http://www.tvland.com/shows/hot-in-cleveland

Boomer
Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Gold member
Default thank you thank you thank you

Boomer - thanks! I have missed all of these, so I've now set the VCR to record them all this Saturday - probably will have a girlfriend party to watch them (doesn't that sound much better than "hen party")?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Sage

Has anyone experimented with the Sensa Weight-Loss System? Supposedly little granules you shake on your food that affect your sense of smell and you magically lose weight.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I know, I know, I know .... don't remind me .... eat less and exercise more.

And yet I continue to look for a magic solution.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Barefoot, for more than two years I have been hoping that you would announce that you have discovered the magic solution. Darn it. Please keep trying though. I am depending on you.

Somewhere in here, a while back, I was going on and on about how I was swilling down V8 because I heard that was supposed to help. Well, I guess you all know how long that lasted.

And then I told everybody that I was going to write a diet book. I was planning to call my diet book "The Fiddle-Dee-Dee Diet: Tomorrow Is Another Day." (I guess that could be the most realistic diet book ever written.)

But please keep up the quest. OK?

Boomer
Old 07-29-2010, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am changing the subject. I need comfort.

We are putting our home up for sale and the first prospective realtor said that our house doesn't smell like "old people live here".
Old 07-29-2010, 06:53 AM
Sage

What exactly is an "old people" smell anyway? The lingering smell of young love, honeymoon hugs, baby powder and baby diapers and cough medicine and sleepless nights from bygone days. The smell of bubble baths and bedtime stories. The smell of roses for anniversaries and birthdays and countless Christmas trees and the dye from Easter eggs. The aroma of decades of Thanksgivings and laughter from house parties. The smell of conversations and disagreements and make-up kisses. The smell of iodine and bandaids on skinned up knees. The clean smell of prayers of thanksgiving and tears from rearing children.

Maybe this young whippersnapper just didn't recognize the smell of life. I hope they experience it one day. I want my house to smell like old people lived and loved there.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Oh BK. I feel all better. This is being printed and framed.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
What exactly is an "old people" smell anyway? The lingering smell of young love, honeymoon hugs, baby powder and baby diapers and cough medicine and sleepless nights from bygone days. The smell of bubble baths and bedtime stories. The smell of roses for anniversaries and birthdays and countless Christmas trees and the dye from Easter eggs. The aroma of decades of Thanksgivings and laughter from house parties. The smell of conversations and disagreements and make-up kisses. The smell of iodine and bandaids on skinned up knees. The clean smell of prayers of thanksgiving and tears from rearing children.

Maybe this young whippersnapper just didn't recognize the smell of life. I hope they experience it one day. I want my house to smell like old people lived and loved there.
Wow!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Sage
Default The Curse of Miss Mini

I'll start with a statement of self defense. I'm not one to speak ill of other people.

BUT... I'm here to bitch about Ms. Mini Pause.

Having no magic bullet is one thing. (Oh please, please find that magic bullet!) But eating less, exercising more and still gaining weight is Mini Pause's ultimate bad joke. I was the original 98 lb. weakling until I turned 50.
And then along come's Mini

And does she want to keep me slim or let me burn the calories
that give me pleasant memories?
Or maybe rather gather tales from all the fails and tribulations
Everyone can see

When we met I had quit eating lunch
Now my empty gut shows the pack of her punch!
Seriously, I turned 50 and my metabolism died. In the eight years since, I've gained 20 pounds. I eat less and less and still gain. I exercise and still have a hard time taking it off.
So yes, we struggle much
When told that such a tender touch of hers
Will make us not the same!
Anyone feel my pain? Suggestions?

Last edited by Pturner; 07-29-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 AM
Sage

P, I just turned 49 this July. About a year ago, when we moved to NC from DC area, I started thinking I was losing my mind. I couldn't remember simple things. I'd wander aimlessly in the new house. I didn't say anything to my husband.

I thought oh, he's stressed and doesn't need to hear my silliness. I'm just stressed from the move. It progressed to a point of panic on my part. I had to start taking a nap in the afternoons before I could fix dinner. Not that I wanted to lay down and sleep. Because I couldn't put one foot in front of the other. Then I started having chest "pains" and horrible sweats and gaining weight. I went to a general practioner and a cardiologist. Both said the same thing. Menapause.

I thought, you know, of all the wonderful women I've known in my life, none warned me of this. Then I realized. They may have wanted to, but they forgot.
My forgetfulness was the most shocking. The weight gain is uncontrollable because I don't have any energy to spike my metabolism. I am not taking HRTs. Just sweating it out.

I saw a little sign that said, "Women over 50 shouldn't have babies. They'll lay them down and forget where they put them."
Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Platinum member

Freeda, I googled "list of low glycemic foods" and I couldn't find RJ Gator's Shrimp Po-Boy or Mallory's all-you-can-eat wings or Cane Garden's fish sandwich or Havana's pineapple chicken salad or Nancy Lopez's clams and pasta or Hacienda Hill's half price hamburgers or Red Sauce's eggplant parm or a pitcher Yuengling anywhere on the list. I can't understand why I'm gaining weight?
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
P, I just turned 49 this July. About a year ago, when we moved to NC from DC area, I started thinking I was losing my mind. I couldn't remember simple things. I'd wander aimlessly in the new house. I didn't say anything to my husband.

I thought oh, he's stressed and doesn't need to hear my silliness. I'm just stressed from the move. It progressed to a point of panic on my part. I had to start taking a nap in the afternoons before I could fix dinner. Not that I wanted to lay down and sleep. Because I couldn't put one foot in front of the other. Then I started having chest "pains" and horrible sweats and gaining weight. I went to a general practioner and a cardiologist. Both said the same thing. Menapause.

I thought, you know, of all the wonderful women I've known in my life, none warned me of this. Then I realized. They may have wanted to, but they forgot.
My forgetfulness was the most shocking. The weight gain is uncontrollable because I don't have any energy to spike my metabolism. I am not taking HRTs. Just sweating it out.

I saw a little sign that said, "Women over 50 shouldn't have babies. They'll lay them down and forget where they put them."
Hey BK, I laughed and laughed at your post. And then I read it to Fireboy and we both laughed. You are such an entertaining writer. I loved the sign about forgetting where you put your baby. Hilarious.

And Boomer, don't worry, I'll never give up the quest to find the magic bullet. I know it's out there. I'm actually trying acupuncture next. My friend Hyacinth is currently eating all her food with a baby spoon. To slow down her eating. There is no end to the things we'll try (as long as it doesn't involve exercise or eating less, )

UUJudy, you just listed all my favouite foods. Except you forgot Haagen Daas Icecream! When I find the magic bullet, I know that it will allow us to eat all these foods!

I'm still seriously considering having my eyebrows tattooed.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Well, I'm not as clever as many of you word-smiths, although I am a word-smith "wannabe". So my post might be boring, but, Freeda has the answers; it is only through practice that they work. I do the same thing -- I ask for veggies rather than the serving of fries with my fish basket. I never eat any bread, unless it is extremely high fiber. Sugar doesn't cross my lips; I bake/cook my own sugar-free desserts and treats. My salads are eaten with vinegar dressings without sugar in them (no creamy fattening stuff). Fruits are all low glycemic and are limited to mostly berries. Veggies are all low glycemic -- I haven't eaten corn or white potatoes in a long, long, long time. Cooking can be an outlet for creativity. If you don't cook, educate yourself about low-glycemic foods and choose wisely in restaurants.

When I was younger, I always wondered why "old people" were always so interested in taking vitamins and life-extension. I thought it was silly to panic at the end and try to extend your life. Just lately I have come to understand that we "old people" are not trying to extend our life, but instead are hoping to stay healthy during those last years. Am I on the right track with low-glycemic foods? I think so . . .hope so.

Now, if you really want to be healthy, eliminate meat from your diet. (Read The China Study) But that's another (sometimes touchy) subject . .
Old 07-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Question for Freda

So Freda,,,I have read South Beach and some of Dr Oz...what book do you use to determine glycemic values and recipes etc....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.