Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Sage

I forgot about the forgetfulness part. That too.

Freeda, you make excellent points. Honestly, I could cut back on many "bad foods" without much complaint. But bread? Soft hot breads are my ultimate comfort foods. A life without bread-- the mere thought makes me want to grab a (dark) chocolate bar to relieve the stress.

Why, oh why, do women need comfort food!?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I forgot about the forgetfulness part. That too.

Soft hot breads are my ultimate comfort foods. A life without bread-- the mere thought makes me want to grab a (dark) chocolate bar to relieve the stress.

Why, oh why, do women need comfort food!?
I totally understand; that's how it was with me and French fries. I really don't miss them, and would have never believed I'd say that!

Some of the lowest-glycemic breads are: coarse barley kernel bread (75% or higher in kernels) - around 27-34 on the glycemic index; and rye kernel bread (pumpernickel) - 41 on the glycemic index. I would limit even low-glycemic bread, but these are at least some of the better choices. Not soft, and not white, I know, but at least there are some choices versus total abstinence from bread!! There was NOTHING that I could substitute for French fries; I just had to go 'cold turkey'.

And probably a little dark unsweetened (and non-milk) pure chocolate here and there would be a better choice than white bread. Alas, white bread is 70 on the glycemic index; ie, it is higher than if we just slapped pure table sugar (which is 'only' 61 on the glycemic index) on our tongue.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I used to be just like PT with my bread. Stand back and don't get in my way when warm, fresh white bread or rolls with real butter was around. It tasted just like dessert to me. But now when I eat bread, it tastes like gummy, gooey yucky stuff. I never thought I'd say that, either! I will eat pumpernickel occasionally, and enjoy it.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default Hulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm at the lake cottage in Canada and our TV isn't working. I missed the Bachelorette home town visits. I missed Hot in Cleveland again! It is amazing how attached you can become to a television and how boring nights are without one! Oh, I really need to get a life.
BF.... Have no fear.... If you put HULU in your search engine you will come up with all kinds of interesting movies, television shows, specials that you can see on your computer. You can also bring the pictures to full screen.

That's how I watched the first show (that I missed on tele) of Hot in Cincinnati and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Give it a go; think you'll enjoy, especially if you don't have any television....b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 07-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Veteran member
Default New business

I need to have one of my ears re pierced. Don't ask...it's a long story.

Any suggestions as to where to go?

I'm not comfortable just going to the mall.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Veteran member

I don't know about here; but in Louisville, where I moved from, some plastic surgeons' offices would do ear piercing. The most important thing, I think, is to go to someone who does alot of them; not just once in a while. You don't want to be 'practice' for someone.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
I used to be just like PT with my bread. Stand back and don't get in my way when warm, fresh white bread or rolls with real butter was around. It tasted just like dessert to me. But now when I eat bread, it tastes like gummy, gooey yucky stuff. I never thought I'd say that, either! I will eat pumpernickel occasionally, and enjoy it.
K9, I'm with you on white bread being yucky. Wheat, pumpernickel, multi-grain... yum.

But I don't know where Whalen should get her ear re-pierced.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Veteran member

PT I am SO with you and it is frustrating as H#*@# I am 56 and have been going through the same thing you have since about 50. I have been on Weight Watchers for an entire year and have not lost a thing. I seem to go up a couple and back down a couple. I keep telling myself, at least the good thing is I am not gaining! We are snowbirds and I can't wait to get back down in Oct. at least there are a lot more activities to keep me going. The only bad part is......I am too tired to do half of them
Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 AM

Hi Pturner-Have you tried bioidentical hormones? I turned 50 in December and balooned with my weight. Put 20 pounds on overnight!!! After watching the Dr. Phil show and listening to Robin about bioidentical hormones, I decided to find a doctor that specializes in them. I was having terrible night sweats, was exhausted (from not sleeping at night) and starting to feel depressed about the entire situation. She prescribed progesterone (in a cream form) with a touch of testorone. I have lost 5 pounds and my outlook on life is definitely moving in the right direction. Good luck and let me know if this works for you.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Platinum member

" UUJudy, you just listed all my favouite foods. Except you forgot Haagen Daas Icecream! When I find the magic bullet, I know that it will allow us to eat all these foods!

I'm still seriously considering having my eyebrows tattooed."

Bare, Haagen Daas Ice Cream! Yes! Please keep looking for that magic bullet! When you find it the world will thank you -- or at the very least, we at the TOTV Girl Talk Forum will elect you as our queen!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa@AskLisa.net View Post
Hi Pturner-Have you tried bioidentical hormones? I turned 50 in December and balooned with my weight. Put 20 pounds on overnight!!! After watching the Dr. Phil show and listening to Robin about bioidentical hormones, I decided to find a doctor that specializes in them. I was having terrible night sweats, was exhausted (from not sleeping at night) and starting to feel depressed about the entire situation. She prescribed progesterone (in a cream form) with a touch of testorone. I have lost 5 pounds and my outlook on life is definitely moving in the right direction. Good luck and let me know if this works for you.
Hi Lisa, I'm leary of taking hormones, and not sure it would be right for me, anyway. I got night sweats for 2 or 3 nights several years ago, then never again. Knock on wood, I don't have either those or the "personal summers". Been paid back in spades though with the dead metabolism, feeling tired often and forgetfulness.

Got thyroid checked earlier this year after having some dizzyness, blackouts and vertigo. Sure enough, thyroid was barely functioning. Since taking synthroid, those symptoms are gone. Also, no longer gaining weight, but can't take off the weight gained even with eating less/more healthy and exercize.

Plan to try low-glycemic approach. In addition to Freeda, anyone had success with it???
Old 07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Judy and Barefoot,

Being a Cincinnati girl, I hope it will be Graeter's ice cream, but I gotta tellya, Haagen Daas rum raisin is my backup.

And speaking of Cincinnati, Mark Twain is supposed to have said that if the world is ending you should go to Cincinnati because everything there happens 20 years later. Well, Twain was probably right. I just heard about Greek yogurt. Probably everybody else already knows about it.

When I heard about Greek yogurt, I thought maybe I could make myself believe this stuff tastes like ice cream. So I bought a brand called Chobani and I mixed it with walnuts and blueberries and bananas. It was fine --as long as you wanted to be eating Greek yogurt with walnuts and blueberries and bananas and not Graeter's ice cream. (Sigh) If only I had a better imagination.

Barefoot, when I read about your friend Hyacinth using a baby spoon, I got up and went into the kitchen and opened the silverware drawer and sure enough, there I found a little fork and a little spoon -- toddler size, left over from the days when my grandchildren were little. Ironically, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed them there (the spoon and fork, not my grandchildren) and wondered what I was going to do with them, and now, here's a plan, right here on Girl Talk.

And, Judy, I agree. Barefoot would be our queen if she found the magic solution. Heck, Barefoot would be Queen of the Entire Universe if she did that. I sure hope she would still have time for us little people back here in Girl Talk.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-30-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

She would be The Queen indeed.....

I am almost 58, when I turned 50, almost overnight, my body SHAPE changed. I did not gain weight (according to the scale) BUT, now my hips have hips, by butt is disappearing and all my weight shifted to my hips, they seem to grow wider by the year. Also, I suddenly had muffin top, something I never had before. So my conclusion is that the lack of estrogen equals the lack of muscle tone (I know I have to lift weights but it is so darn boring).

They do not manufacture clothes for this body type....I am reduced to elastic waists only. OMG, I have just become my Mother.

The night sweats have finally stopped after 7 years and now only get a hot flash when I drink something hot or too much red wine..... You will get a kick out of this one....once when having my 12th hot flash for the day, hubby says "Geez, Can't you control that?"

PS: Love the greek yogurt, especially mixed with cool whip!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I've had hot flashes for 12 years . . . no kidding. They have changed through the years and are now the worse ever. My face, chest, back and arms turn bright red and I sweat profusely. One flash can last only a few seconds up to 5 minutes. My doctor recommended that I NOT take hormones, but instead try over-the-counter "Estroven" and it has helped immensely. If you are suffering, try it!

As for the Greek yogurt. Boomer, try putting it in a blender with frozen fruit and it will taste like frozen yogurt -- much better than just refrigerated yogurt!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Estrogen is a proven cancer trigger. Even artificial (natural) estrogen. If there is breast cancer in your genetic makeup, than even soy milk is something that a physician should evaluate.

I think that you should have your vitamin D levels checked by a regular M.D.

Mine were almost non existant. He put me on an extremely high dosage of vitamin D. Once weekly for three months. I lost 30 pounds in that time frame. He told me to continue to take 1000 units a day. I think any additives need to be evaluated by a physician.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.