Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Pooh

Did you ever go back and read all of the old posts? Did you get to the posts on the banana hangers ? Boy did I just roar about those....fun to remember.

About Greek Yogurt, I know it is good for you and I personally love the tart taste. It takes some getting used to ...but I developed a taste for it.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Sage

I don't always go back and read old posts....getting lazy in my old age...lol. I'll have to go back now and read about those banana hangers

I, too, don't mind the tart taste of yogurt, but the Yoplait brand just didn't taste all that good to me. I do freeze the Yoplait whips....satisfies the urge for ice cream....well, some of the time.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Platinum member

Boomer, yes there was a Seinfeld episode about a low-fat frozen yogurt shop that opened in their neighborhood. They couldn't believe it was low fat, so they ate it every day -- and they gained weight! Thanks for the reminder!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 08-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Please may we have an update.
1st day was a fluke, losing a whole pound. But I have lost 3 lbs since Monday!

I lost something else too. My mid-afternoon slump! I am amazed because I have had a terrible time midday, sometimes feeling almost painfully sluggish. Knock on wood, it has disappeared.

In addition to boosting metabolism, this low GI plan is suppose to prevent your blood sugar from spiking high and then dropping low. I don't need a blood test to tell me that it has. I've had problems with low blood sugar for years. My fasting blood sugar is ultra-low everytime it's tested. Once when the results came back, it was so low my doctor said he didn't understand why I wasn't in a coma! So, OMB, the difference is amazing!

The Faze brand greek yogurt is also zero fat, yet creamy, creamy, creamy. I've never been a yogurt fan, but am developing a taste. With fresh berries and a touch of honey, it's quite good.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Put that yogurt in a blender and add some frozen strawberries. Amazing.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default some catching up to do here

Gracie, I loved your "Beware of Greeks bearing yogurt" warning. When I read it, I immediately visualized yogurt packaged inside a little wooden horse with wheels on it. I think it was Cassandra in the story of the Trojan War who ran around inside the walls of Troy, yelling about the Greeks, "Do not open that gate. Do not bring that wooden horse in here. It is not a surrender gift from the Greeks. It is a trick." But nobody would listen to her. And now, I will remember that story every time I think about Greek yogurt.

And Judy, you're right about that Seinfeld episode. Do you think we are in a Seinfeld episode here? I think maybe we are.

And pooh and ssmith,

I have to ask this. You are talking about banana "hangers" but i am wondering if you meant banana "hammocks." We were talking about those several months ago here. I told about the unfortunate choices of swim trunks made by a couple of guys who insisted on parading past my water aerobics class. There was Mr. See-Through-Pants who wore the baggy white ones -- baggy until they got wet. And then the guy wearing the banana hammock and we all know what those look like. Both -- unfortunate choices.

I thought that was what you meant. I typed "banana hammock" into Search and it took me to p. 103 of our thread here. I sure am going to be embarrassed though if you were talking about banana hangers like people have in their kitchen and here I am talking about something completely different.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-07-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I wonder if the Greek yogurt has another microorganism. The domestic ones have lactobacillus acidopholus and that triggers a migraine for me.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Sage
Default Low GI Index

Yea! I've lost 5 lbs. Sure would like to shed 5 more by 8/21. Sure would like to keep it off.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Sage

Excellent P. That's a lot of weight if you think of it in terms of a five pound bag of sugar you've lost!! Yea!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I have lost 4 pounds since the day before yesterday......but, btw, I had food poisoning from a restaurant quiche. I lived in Ice-Chip City for a while.

Seriously, congratulations, Pt. That is such a reasonable and healthy way to do it. Balanced.

Those blood sugar drops you talked about are wicked. I get mean if I go too long w/o food. Mean is not my style. I have a friend who gets those drops, too. We were on our way to a nice dinner out one evening when I diverted to an Arby's drive-thru on the way. She was sooooooo mean. All she needed was about half of an Arby's Jr. and then we could go on and have a nice leisurely dinner without her terrifying the server.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration, Pt.

Boomer
Old 08-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Sage

Cuz and Boomer, thanks so much for the moral support.

Boomer, I hope you got all the food poisoning out of your system! Had it once. Never want it again!!!

about your friend's "mean" attack.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Yep that is it

I meant banana hammocks...and get the giggles every time I remember that!!! P Turner, so what plan of glycemic index are you using? A certain book perhaps? Whatever it is I want to know more. Any recipes you use etc.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Good Job PTurner! You already look slender to me from your photo, so losing that much is quite a feat! You will knock 'em dead at the reunion (oops, is knock 'em dead going to offend someone? probably! yuk yuk).
Old 08-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Yea! I've lost 5 lbs. Sure would like to shed 5 more by 8/21. Sure would like to keep it off.
PT, congrats. Good going girl! Can you tell us some "basics" of what you're eating. Not exact portions or details .. just a list of some basic foods you're eating.

I'm also curious whether anyone has some good smoothie recipes which contain protein. Or perhaps you just add a protein powder? I think K-9 is our smoothie "go to" girl. Any good internet sites with smoothie suggestions?

Edit:

Just found a new good smoothie website called "3 fat chicks on a diet".

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-13-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Green & Protein Smoothies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm also curious whether anyone has some good smoothie recipes which contain protein. Or perhaps you just add a protein powder? I think K-9 is our smoothie "go to" girl. Any good internet sites with smoothie suggestions?
Here are two good websites with lots of recipes to try:

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/smoothie-recipes/

http://pimpmyproteinshake.blogspot.c...hake%20recipes

After reading lots of these recipes, I've come up with a simple formula that I follow. I go through my fridge and pantry and just use what's there. It's best to have a HIGH POWERED blender or liquifier so you won't end up with an unappetizing "chunky" instead of a smoothie. I use a VitaMix. Put into blender in order of soft stuff first, then hard stuff. Here goes:

- small amount of almond milk, or soy milk (or yogurt)

- protein powder if desired (I use Jay Robb rice, it tastes best)

- soft stuff: fresh fruit or veggies (like peaches, orange, apple, grapes, blueberries, melon, cucumber, tomato, sweet pepper, etc.)

- greens: uncooked spinach is good for beginners 'cause you cannot taste it

- hard stuff: whole carrot, uncooked cabbage, celery

- frozen stuff: frozen strawberries, frozen mixed fruit, 1/2 frozen banana (just take the peel off, break in half, place in baggie in freezer

- sweetener: 3/4 cup splenda, or use stevia, honey, agave, or your favorite sweetener

- flavorings: you can add cinnamon, peanut butter, extracts, nuts, etc.

Or, if you just want a fun flavor, simplify and just combine yogurt/milk with frozen fruit. Or yogurt/milk and dark chocolate, sweetener & ice. You get the idea . . .

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.