Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Girl Talk

Think it was today, maybe yesterday, but the Sun had an article of a new shop opening that was selling wigs. She sells synthetics but can order real hair if you want. From the pics, they looked like pretty good wigs.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 AM

Couldn't tolerate the full wig thing, but LOVE my pieces. Have several 'phony ponies' with different lengths and amounts of curl. And they can really save me on a bad hair day or if I'm in a hurry. Just stick your own hair in a pony tail and attach the piece over it. It's not hot or uncomfortable. And they're usually about 30 to $40 for a nice one.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Gold member

Hi,

Face Products, I put a little liquid make up coloring into my favorite lotion - do it slowly so that I do not get a color I do not like. Shake it up - and it works - covers blemishes and moisturizes my skin at the same time.

I have a childhood friend who told me a few months ago that she had been wearing a wig for years. Never knew it - it looked natural. I will get the name of the company. I know they weren't expensive.

HB
Old 02-14-2008, 03:42 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
Face Products

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a nice tinted moisturer. My usual procedure when buying cosmetics if to drag home 4 or 5 different alternatives before I find something I like. :dontknow: What a waste of money! So I'm looking for recommendations.

I use a Canadian brand that isn't available in Florida. I'm looking for a product that isn't thick or greasy, and doesn't really offer much coverage, but provides a hint of colour and evens out skin tones.

(BTW, I think I'll try Urban Hair Studio in Oxford for my next hair cut and colour. Will let you know how it works out!) Thanks for the info. ;D
When I was in TV, the brand new Merle Norman had just opened. It is on the road that is on the far south end of TV. (I'm too lazy to go find my map tonight, but you'll know where I mean.) It's in the area of the new housing construction, and the shopping plaza where it is located was new, too.

The people who owned it were there at the time - really nice people. It had literally just opened I think.

Anyway, I was in search of such a moisturizer. The woman who helped me was great. She suggested this one, and I really like it: Luxiva Sheer Defense Tinted Moisturizer.

The nice thing about that Merle Norman was that the women who were working there knew all about just the kind of stuff that women of a certain age want. - nothing greasy, nothing cakey. We all work very, very hard to look this natural.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:07 AM
Sage

Boomer, I'm with you. I have always loved Merle Norman products. They mostly did away with them in Illinois and when we moved here in November, I was so happy to see one near me. :bigthumbsup:
Old 02-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Sage

BBB, if you get a surge of energy I'd love to know where Merle Norman is located (perhaps the new plaza on 466A?) I've never tried MN products, but I'll sure give them a try.

Nonie, wigs at Markets of Marion? Sure thing, let's go. They probably have hair pieces also, never thought of that option (thanks Mintjulep). I've never been to the Markets and would like to go sometime. I didn't see the article in the Daily Sun about a new wig shop.

Hope to see all the sisters at Crispers on Friday!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Soaring Parsley

Chelsea,

I think [i]Merle Norman[i] must be a franchise. Where I live they are mostly gone, too. I did go to one here about a year or so ago, and the person working there was some surly kid. I don't know why people invest in businesses and then leave them in the hands of people who don't know what they are doing.

Not only was the advice good at the one in TV, I really had fun. They were talking about how they needed to get different mirrors because the ones they had were on stands that were too short. (Women of a certain age do not want to look DOWN into a mirror. That's for sure.) I hope they replaced those short-stand mirrors. They were planning to do so immediately. The owners were so nice - from the Midwest, I think. :bigthumbsup:

(Oh, no. I just looked at Preview and realized this whole damned thing is in italics. I don't even care anymore. I am not going to try to fix it. I am going to bed.)
Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Soaring Parsley

Barefoot,

I think it was 466A. It was a brand new shopping area and a brand new store so I bet that's it.

Another topic -- a warning to the girls ---

I was snooping in the thread about your lunch and someone mentioned chocolate martinis. I don't know if you will be having any of those, but keep an eye on your own if you do.

Here's why:

We were out to lunch one day, and there were two women sitting at a table opposite us, but back slightly farther. I have an absolutely obnoxious habit - or maybe it's a gift - of being able to carry on a perfectly lucid conversation with whoever I'm with, while I automatically filter in any conversation going on within a certain range. (If it's an interesting conversation that is.) I don't really try to do this. It just happens. Always has. Mr. BB thinks I should be a spy.

Anyway, these two women were :edit: and :edit: about their stressful jobs as they drank their $8.00 chocolate martinis.

Well, at one point, one of the two excused herself to the ladies' room, leaving half of a chocolate martini on the table to finish when she returned.

You all guessed it, didn't you? The woman left alone at the table reached across and slurped down as much as she could of her friend's martini, leaving just enough so that it was not completely obvious.

You girls who like these things do know, don't you, that it has to be a really good vodka and a really nice chocolate liqueur. But did you know that splashing it with a little Baileys makes it perfect?

Old 02-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Merle Norman...I don't know where the new one is located but there is one just down a few doors from Belks on 441/27. I went there last summer to get my nails done, although I would not recommend the nail tech.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Gold member

Boomer do you have the "recipe?"

I think it was the WALTONS show that had the sisters on it and the "recipe" that everyone liked.

This is one drink I know I will like - it is high in calories and has a creamy texture. You guessed it, I am not, overly fond of dry red wines.

So heres to :beer2: in the wrong glass - the Administrators I think should add wine or champagne glasses also. They probably just thought of their own favorite drink.

I feel sorry for all the TV'ers and wannabees who do not come to this site - they do not know what they are missing.

So to all my sisters I raise my glass of Choclolate Martini with a large splash of Baileys.

Hyacinth Bucket

Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Soaring Parsley

OK.

It's morning. I'm back.

It is not the Merle Norman that Brightspot mentioned. That is the one that is closer to Spanish Springs.

I dug out the map this morning - 466A has to be it. It's the south end of the south side of TV. Colony Plaza sounds familiar.

I checked the Merle Norman website this morning. It says there are two there BUT it shows the other one TWICE -with no mention of the new one that I can find in the "Store Locater" section of the site. The owners should check the national web site. When you are paying costs to be a part of a franchise, the franchise really should acknowledge your existence.
H-m-m-m. Could this be why Merle Norman stores are becoming few and far between these days? Sales support from the franchise is crucial.

If any of you decide to set out to locate this place, I hope you like it. Like all of you, my impression of a place to do business is, first of all, about what kind of service the people who work there provide. I can only speak for the help I received. I hope it is still as good.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyacinth Bucket
Boomer do you have the "recipe?"

I think it was the WALTONS show that had the sisters on it and the "recipe" that everyone liked.

This is one drink I know I will like - it is high in calories and has a creamy texture. You guessed it, I am not, overly fond of dry red wines.

So heres to :beer2: in the wrong glass - the Administrators I think should add wine or champagne glasses also. They probably just thought of their own favorite drink.

I feel sorry for all the TV'ers and wannabees who do not come to this site - they do not know what they are missing.

So to all my sisters I raise my glass of Choclolate Martini with a large splash of Baileys.

Hyacinth Bucket

Ms. Bouquet,

I don't exactly have the recipe you requested but I do have a general idea. I know how to chat up a bartender, but sometimes there are nuances that you have to work out for yourself. (We also tip any bartender especially well who is willing to share a secret.)

So here is what she told me: She uses Stoli vodka.- plain vodka, not the flavored stuff (There are other good brands of vodka, too.) The liqueur is Godiva. (I don't know if there are any others.) And Baileys, of course, is Baileys. She shakes the vodka and the chocolate liqueur with ice and then strains the ice out when she pours the drink into the martini glass.

Here's where I get pretty fuzzy. I am not sure of the proportions of the vodka and the Godiva. It may be one to one. But this version is not sickeningly sweet so she may be lighter on the Godiva. And I believe the splash of Baileys is a pretty light one. I am also not sure if the Baileys goes into the shaker with the rest or just gets to splash in after it's in the glass.

It seems like if there are members of The Sisterhood down there in TV who find this interesting, they may want to go to the liquor store, gather at someone's house, and do a little research on these proportions. --like a wine tasting - only far less need to be elegant. If you do this, you will likely find that some prefer a sweeter version. Some prefer more Baileys - less Baileys - whatever. But you could probably have a lot of fun.

But if you do such a thing, be sure that you have someone to drive you home. Even though these things appear to be quite froo froo, they will sneak up and kick you from behind. Be careful

Well, I need to get off of this computer. I actually have a life today. And I am beginning to feel like I am lapsing into the "Boomer Chronicles" or something.

mustleavemyhousemustleavemyhousemustleavemyhousemu stleavemyhouse
Old 02-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Sage

You ladies should try an Oatmeal Cookie. In a 1 cup measure, put in 3/4 c Bailys, 1/4 c Butter Shots (Butterscotch schnapps) and about a tsp of Goldschlager (a cinnamon cordial).
Shake and our over crushed iced that is packed to the top of your glass. It is delicious.
Men love it, too.
I never measure when I make this, so the amounts above are approximate. Just don't put in to much Goldschlager.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Soaring Parsley

SAm,

That one sounds good, too. And I bet it smells wonderful. - maybe even dab a little behind the ears.

Boomer
Old 02-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Sage

It's delicious...and it doesn't go to your head...it goes to your arse...and thighs.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.