Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Before I put on the tinted moisturizer, I use a product that I learned about at a makeup counter two years ago and I still love it. Special Camouflage by Paula Dorf New York. It is in a tiny container with half yellow and half peachy-pink. The yellow tames those too-pink places you want to cover. It's the yellow part that works better to camouflage pink spots on your face than anything I have ever found.
http://www.pauladorf.com/p-153-special-camouflage.aspx
Maybelline Elizabeth Boomer
I love to talk about makeup because aren't we all just searching for that foundation or anti-aging cream that makes us look a dewy 25 again.

I have a feeling that Paula Dorf may get a sudden depletion of her Special Camouflage! Boomer, thanks for sharing that tip. What stores carry Paula Dorf products?

Uptown Girl, you're in exactly the right thread to natter on about makeup because guys aren't allowed to read this thread. Well, sometimes Tony drops by, to make sure we're keeping it clean! But he's the only guy that is allowed.

There is a hair salon called Root 466 in The Villages (located in Southern Trace Plaza) which is a distributor for Bare Minerals. You can stop by with a bare face and they'll do mineral makeup for you. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. You can try before you buy.

I just bought some Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation SPF 20 to give it a try. And I quite like it. It's light, which is nice when it is hot. And instead of two steps (tinted moisturer plus powder), you can just do one step.

By the way, Barb, thanks a bunch for the info about the treadmill!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hi Up,

Thanks for asking this question. That's because there are times during which there is nothing better for the spirit than getting into a little bit (or a lot) of girl talk. It works even when you can't actually see the girls you are talking to. That has been proven by the longevity of this thread, started by Barefoot almost 3 years ago.

So about that makeup question.....well, hang on because I am about to digress on the topic of makeup in general. I was thinking a few days ago about asking here in Girl Talk about favorite makeups, and then I forgot about it. I am glad you brought up the topic.

We girls work really hard on our makeup, with the goal of trying to look like we are not wearing makeup.

I know we all have our makeup favorites, and we can be intensely loyal to those favorites. But way too often cosmetic companies decide to change the line. And that makes me seriously toy with the idea of becoming a hoarder of those few makeup brands that have my loyalty.

Over and over, I buy a Lancome eye pencil that Lancome calls Le Crayon Poudre. Ahhh, such a fancy-schmancy name -- a name that I am certain makes Lancome feel entitled to charge fools like me 20-some bucks for a little brown stick. I line my eyes with it and then smear the liner around and wipe most of it off. -- Can’t look like I am wearing eyeliner -- right? I make myself feel better for being had on the price of the little brown stick because it lasts about a year. And I don’t spend much on mascara. Still buying that good old Maybelline in the pink and green tube at the drugstore. Been using that one for years.

I started using a tinted moisturizer instead of foundation a few years ago. The best one I have found is from Elizabeth Arden. I bought a new tube of it yesterday. (I had reached the point you all know about -- when you get to where you have run out, but yet a glimmer of pathetic optimism makes you get the scissors and hack up the tube to get to the very last dregs.)

When I finally went to the mall to buy a new tube, the woman at the counter said the formula had been changed. (EEK! I knew I should have been hoarding that stuff. Too late now.) The new version is called Pure Finish Mineral Tinted Moisturizer. The SPF is 15. Minerals are the new part. Have not used it yet. Will see.

I usually finish things off with a little Elizabeth Arden AeroMatte ultralucent pressed powder. I cannot use loose powder. My contact lenses would hate it.

Now, here is the part of my dissertation that if it works for you, I will be your new best friend....

Before I put on the tinted moisturizer, I use a product that I learned about at a makeup counter two years ago and I still love it. Special Camouflage by Paula Dorf New York. It is in a tiny container with half yellow and half peachy-pink. The yellow tames those too-pink places you want to cover. It's the yellow part that works better to camouflage pink spots on your face than anything I have ever found.

Again, it costs a stupid amount of money. Yesterday, it cost me 23 bucks for the tiny jar, up from 20 bucks when I first discovered the stuff. It’s a really tiny jar and I only want the yellow part. But I buy it and I live in fear that Paula Dorf will stop making it. (Don’t think I have not noticed that the name Paula Dorf has a remarkable similarity to that other Paula – my arch-nemesis Paula Deen – the only woman in the world that I just KNOW Mr. Boomer would leave me for.)

But, I digress, back to Paula Dorf……

One day, my sister and I were together at the makeup counter and we were getting a little concerned because the sales rep could find only ONE of these Paula Dorf things. But she finally managed to find a second one, thank goodness. Had she not, my sister and I might have reverted to our childhood days of fighting like only sisters can. You know -- hair-pulling and scratching and pinching and biting and all that stuff of fond childhood memories. (I wonder how that would have gone over in a major department store aisle.)

Well, I certainly have managed to go on and on a bit and probably was no help at all....unless Paula Dorf works for those parts you want to cover. And if that happens, you will owe me a cyber-glass of wine sometime here in the Girl Talk thread where we will toast camouflage.

Here's a link to Paula Dorf stuff.

http://www.pauladorf.com/p-153-special-camouflage.aspx

Maybelline Elizabeth Boomer
Maybelline Elizabeth Boomer... (I LOVE that!!) My new and fabulous friend! And, OH YAY!... I have been looking for yellow camouflage forever... truly I have, and this may be just what I need!
See, I'm a painter. Have done portraits and figures over time and realize how many colors make up wonderful skin on canvas. Sometimes wished I could just paint them on my face and be done with it!
Hugs to all for your REAL tips and insight. Did some research last night and found that the mineral foundation formulas aren't all equal, and some have ingredients that won't work for me (talc especially reeks havoc...) Think that I will ponder it awhile longer. At least until my current stuff is depleted. Then, I'll look for a free demo locally!
Thanks again... Smooch!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Minerals

Yep, I have used it and like it....just a thought...they are micro particles and Dr Oz is concerned about it getting into the lungs so when you brush it on don't breath it in. He was also concerning around the eyes. When I put it on a brush it does seem to make a mess on my counter....when I try to get some off of the brush cause I got too much on.

Will be interested to know about the tinted moisturizer tho....Let us know what you think.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Default Bare Minerals

I have been using Bare Minerals for years. I love it. It really gives a finished look without being heavy. I like to put it on before my exercise classes because AFTER I exercise I can look like a red beet. It is a quick brush application. I use the skin rev-er-upper AND primer lotion for all day wear. Just a drop of each! I have tried the Maybelline minerals and the other mineral (Joan Lunden promotes?) but I feel there is a difference.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post

Yep, I have used it and like it....just a thought...they are micro particles and Dr Oz is concerned about it getting into the lungs so when you brush it on don't breath it in. He was also concerning around the eyes.
I think that many of Dr. Oz' concerns and recommendations are designed to be controversial and get him publicity. Of course, it doesn't hurt to be careful.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Oz, but I do like the new show "The Doctors". The moderator is very cute! Oh - I'm so shallow.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I think that many of Dr. Oz' concerns and recommendations are designed to be controversial and get him publicity. Of course, it doesn't hurt to be careful.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Oz, but I do like the new show "The Doctors". The moderator is very cute! Oh - I'm so shallow.
Ohhhh Bare!!!! I love the Dr Oz show!! Did you know that The Doctors' moderator Travis Stork was on "The Bachelor" show? He's still a bachelor. The Doctors show isn't new here, it's on for a few years now here in the "States." ......b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 01-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
Yep, I have used it and like it....just a thought...they are micro particles and Dr Oz is concerned about it getting into the lungs so when you brush it on don't breath it in. He was also concerning around the eyes. When I put it on a brush it does seem to make a mess on my counter....when I try to get some off of the brush cause I got too much on.

Will be interested to know about the tinted moisturizer tho....Let us know what you think.
The particles are one of the things I thought about.... and precisely why I stay away from talc (a ground up rock that doesn't dissolve in water). Get it near your eyes and you're in trouble. It will permanently embed in contact lenses too.
So even without any talc included, I'm wary of this makeup, before you put on the 'sealer'. Getting it all off at night may be a challenge too, if it doesn't dissolve in water. Sigh.... I've got to try being a guy in my next lifetime! Then all I'll need to do is shave. My face.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Sage

I tried the Bare Minerals. I liked it, but found it messy to use, especially the eye makeup. The thin brush for applying the liner didn't hold the powder well and some would spill on my cheek. I would put the eye makeup on first, so I could wash the color off my face before applying the foundation. I like the foundation, although I too prefer the tinted moisturizer.

Has anyone else tried the Revlon ColorStay Overtime lipcolor. It's the first "lipstick" I ever used that doesn't come off-- even when you eat.

It's double-sided. One side is the liquid color that is applied with a felt-tip stick. The other side is an optional glossy sealer. As a bonus, it keeps your lips well moisturized, even in winter.

Covergirl makes a similar product. The liquid lipcolor/stick comes in one applicator and a lip balm (like Chapstick) comes in a second applicator in the same box. I like the Revlon better, but with both of them, the color stays on all day. Imagine.

I used to use a Merle Norman color pencil. It has liner on one side and lip color on the other. I loved the easy application-- you didn't even need a mirror to put it on. But it sure didn't stay on very long.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 PM

I love to hear all the beauty hints. I was using bare minerals for years and stopped because it seemed to be chalky on my face. Well I went to see my daughter at Christmas and came home with new bare minerals. The sale girl asked me how often I washed my brushes It makes a huge difference when applying the minerals. When I went back to school everyone said how nice my skin looked. I agree with the other posts I am sick of spending so much money on cosmetics. The best thing is permanent eyeliner and eyebrow.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Veteran member

"Has anyone else tried the Revlon ColorStay Overtime lipcolor. It's the first "lipstick" I ever used that doesn't come off-- even when you eat."
================================================

Just wondering if this lipstick is dry? All of the colorstay lipsticks I have ever
tried were SO dry that I would end up throwing them away. Even using the gloss that comes with....it would seem to dry out fast
Old 01-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191 View Post
Ohhhh Bare!!!! I love the Dr Oz show!! Did you know that The Doctors' moderator Travis Stork was on "The Bachelor" show? He's still a bachelor. The Doctors show isn't new here, it's on for a few years now here in the "States." ......b
Oh my gosh Barb, I knew Travis looked familiar! So much for trusting his medical advise.

I always plan to NEVER watch The Bachelor again! I hate that phony show! But for some reason, I always watch it.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 AM

Can anyone recommend a good moisturizer that is 30 spf and not greasy?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

I have been using Aloe Moisturizing Cream for years. I buy it at GNC, same strip shopping center Bonefish Grill is in. This cream dries fast and is a wonderful moisturizer and I wouldn't use anything else. It only costs about 2.99. It lasts for a long time and you only need to use a small amount. I don't know what the spf is but the jar says spf balanced.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Does anyone know of any Zumba or Jaxxercises classes here in the Villages or nearby? Thanks Helena
Old 01-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Default Check the Recreation News for Zumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena View Post
Does anyone know of any Zumba or Jaxxercises classes here in the Villages or nearby? Thanks Helena
The link to it is here - http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/a...es/recnews.pdf - Pg 54 has several entries.

N. Reading, MA; Hampstead, NH; last stop SummerChase Cottages,TV!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.