Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Sage

I know sun is bad for your skin, but on the surface (so to speak), cold weather seems even worse! For some reason, body oils (even baby oil) tends to make me itch.

I've hit on something this week that is working well for me. Burt's Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Cream. I bought it as a hand cream, but have started using it on arms and legs and what a huge difference! Kind of expensive though for an all-over twice-daily cream. Just bought some 100 percent Shea Butter to try.

What do you do for winter dry skin when lotion isn't enough?

Oh, hi Judy04123 welcome to Lower Paradise + Girl Talk!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Platinum member
Default My discoveries!

Over the years I have tried anything and everything to soothe dryness.
I researched vitamins, ate all the right stuff, and bought every cream and lotion out there, expensive or cheap. I slathered myself continually, and still wasn't accomplishing much. Half an hour later, I was scratching and itchy.

Then I researched more and discovered a few things. To make a long story short, I now use:
1) Shampoo that is SLS free. (SLS is a detergent that I find I can't tolerate.)
2) Facial cleanser made of water soluble olive oil. (one ingredient!)
3) Face moisturizer is pure olive oil too, very refined. (same company as the cleanser.)
4) Pure Castile Olive oil soap for bathing. ( Or anything that is SLS free!)
5) AND, a spray can of olive oil for moisturizing my legs, hands, arms. I buy this from the food aisle in the grocery store, spray it lightly while damp after my shower, wait a moment and dress. It sinks in beautifully, no oiliness.
No clogged pores, no dry skin and after years and years, no itching. I'm thrilled.

I still take specific supplements... now I see results!
If anyone wants to know about the face stuff, the company is DHC.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Platinum member
Default P.S. to PTurner

OH, I forgot to mention. Baby oil is not so good. It's made from petroleum, can you believe that?!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Over the years I have tried anything and everything to soothe dryness.
I researched vitamins, ate all the right stuff, and bought every cream and lotion out there, expensive or cheap. I slathered myself continually, and still wasn't accomplishing much. Half an hour later, I was scratching and itchy.

Then I researched more and discovered a few things. To make a long story short, I now use:
1) Shampoo that is SLS free. (SLS is a detergent that I find I can't tolerate.)
2) Facial cleanser made of water soluble olive oil. (one ingredient!)
3) Face moisturizer is pure olive oil too, very refined. (same company as the cleanser.)
4) Pure Castile Olive oil soap for bathing. ( Or anything that is SLS free!)
5) AND, a spray can of olive oil for moisturizing my legs, hands, arms. I buy this from the food aisle in the grocery store, spray it lightly while damp after my shower, wait a moment and dress. It sinks in beautifully, no oiliness.
No clogged pores, no dry skin and after years and years, no itching. I'm thrilled.

I still take specific supplements... now I see results!
If anyone wants to know about the face stuff, the company is DHC.
Uptown Girl, Love your avatar!

Question ... Doesn't olive oil clog the pores on your face? I'm going to try it on my legs right now!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Platinum member
Default Stranger than fiction!

Hi Bare!
Not many have believed me, until I convince them to try it. I originally tried this water soluble olive oil to soothe problems with contact lens/eye issues.
(another story.)
It's specially processed to rinse off in water. No chemical additives, they just changed a molecule in the oil.
Anyway, I keep a stack of white washcloths just for my face and after applying and hand splashing it off, I give my face a final wipe down using a warm, wet washcloth. (I use a fresh cloth each time, then toss it in the wash.)
I pat barely dry and use a squirt of this same company's olive oil to seal it in everywhere, except my nose. Both bottle pumps are pre-set to squirt small amounts, so it's idiot proof even if I'm not paying attention.

By the time I get dressed, my face is ready for make up. I use the whole gamut of traditional makeup and have no problem applying or wearing it all day. NO clogged pores, no mascara rings, no greasy look at all, and my wrinkles look softer and prettier!

I use a mascara that has olive oil in it too... Neutrogena Healthy Volume.
AND, one wonderful bonus is that my eyelashes are longer than they have been in years, even after menopause.
I can only find this stuff online, and have used it exclusively for 4 years. It's not overly expensive and lasts a long time. They have a boatload of other products, but this suffices for me.

And thanks for the compliment on my avatar, it's part of a painting I did. A self portrait from my younger years that my husband is fond of. Once I finally move to TV, you can come and see the whole thing if you like. I think I painted it as a psychic pre-cursor to moving to paradise!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Uptown girl, do you mind giving us a link or providing the name of the onsite provider for your olive oil products? I'd like to give them a try! Also something I've tried lately that has worked wonders for my face is a rotating brush cleaner by Olay that is a knock-off for the Clarisonic. So instead of $200, I spent $30 to find out if this idea really works, and it does! I stopped wearing foundation, but especially for those that still use make up, this thing would be fabulous. It cleans your pores so well that they close up a bit and become smaller. I use it once a day with their supplied exfoliating cleaner and then follow up with moisturizer. I found it at Walgreens and just love it.

You painting looks so beautiful. I am a realistic artist with oils -- we'll have to join an art group together!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Sage

Hi Uptown Girl,
Thanks so much for the tips. I also wondered about it clogging pours. Sounds like you've figured out how to use it effectively.

Oddly, despite my dry skin elsewhere, my face isn't really dry. Definitely plan to try olive oil on the rest of my skin. I use Avalon Organics Hydrating Cleaning Milk for facial cleansing.

Does anyone know anything about Merle Norman products? I've used them, primarily because there is one near me. I like their Collagen toner, Energizing Concentrate and night cream, although I don't know the "skinny" on the line.

I agree, your painting is beautiful.

K9, Thanks for the tip about the rotating brush. I'm gonna try that too! Also, I didn't know you are an artist too! One more thing to love about you!

Goodnight, girlfriends...
Old 01-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Platinum member
Default info on olive oil products

Hi K9,
Just Google DHC .... that's the name of the company.
I order two products:

Deep Cleansing Oil (this is the water soluble olive oil)
Olive Virgin Oil (this is the moisturizer)

As I mentioned, they have lots of other stuff, but this alone works for me.

When you order, (a secure site) they allow you to receive 4 free samples of your choosing, and even give you a discount if you order again. I've had a solid experience with each interaction I've had.

if you try it, let me know how it works for you!

P.S. As a fellow painter, you may have tried water soluble oils. They are based on this same chemistry!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Sage

I'm checking it out too. Here's a link.

DHC Products
Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Do you paint also, PTurner?

A couple of photos I took this month, which I may use later as part of a painting (that is my little poodle Bebe)

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Sage

Do I paint? Not yet.

I bought the Olay rotating brush today and used it this p.m. WOW! It feels great on your face! I'm glad I didn't discover the brush before an inexpensive "knockoff" was made. I like it so much I might have sprung for the expensive one. Thanks for the tip, K9.

Your photo is gorgeous. Who's the beauty next to Bebe?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default WEN Hair Care Products

The beauty is Chantal, my Canadian friend, who was visiting with her husband. We took lots of photos, some indoors and some outdoors. Now I'm in the process of editing them, adding backgrounds, etc. Keeps me busy and out of Mr. K9's hair. Well, we'll just have to get you started painting! It's so relaxing -- and art is so individual and subjective, anything goes.

The more you use that Olay brush, the better your skin. I've started working my way down my neck, which is looking more like a turkey's each year, hoping this miracle brush will make a difference.

Another miracle worker I've found is a hair product that was recommended to me by a friend. It is called WEN and you wash your hair with conditioner, not shampoo. Sounds ooey-gooey, but your hair gets really clean. Very gently conditions your hair. Mine has been thinning for the past year; estrogen extrudes out of my body with each hot flash. Check it out on Google or Bing. Best price I've found is QVC. I love the stuff! Here's a link: http://www.wenhaircare.com/index.php...S|e|6749367616
Old 01-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Platinum member

K9,
I like your photos! Please, keep us posted as you are creating!
I'm excited for you.... !!!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks, Uptown Girl. I'm excited too -- guess that's why I shared the pics with you. I can't wait to get started. Why don't you share some of your work with us?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Platinum member
Default Show my work?

Well... I'll try. It took me forever just to get my avatar up. That failed about 8 times before it went through. Maybe the Censor Person is off on break just now, and they have to okay it first? Either that or I am inept.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.