Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Hey Bare,
I've recently been able to get some good nights sleep!
I listen to my relaxation and deep sleep CD,s. I think it helps!
I've heard that 4am is a very psychic time........
Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyg View Post
Hey Bare,
I've recently been able to get some good nights sleep!
I listen to my relaxation and deep sleep CD,s. I think it helps!
I've heard that 4am is a very psychic time........
I listen to Relaxation Apps on my iPad, and they really do work. They put me to sleep. But then my Sleep Timer App doesn't work to turn the Relaxation App off, and they run all night. So on Monday I'm attending an iPad meeting to figure out some stuff.

Anyway Billy, let's get together soon!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post

To answer Bare's question, the dream group I spoke of was not here in TV, but many years ago in Chicago. We helped participate so that a group of Psychologists could learn how to conduct the therapy. My friend was their teacher and a fellow artist.
We did it as an experiment to tap into our artistic creativity. What was to be a six week class for them turned into a year long wonderful journey for us.
I, too am open to exploring some of the more esoteric pathways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I do believe in the power of dreams and that we can "pre program" them. I especially enjoy dreams when I'm flying in the air by myself.

I also believe that while we're asleep our spirit guides communicate with us. Last week I had a dream that the 19 year old cat we recently had euthanized was now a kitten. She was running and jumping and chasing butterflies. I believe the dream was sent to comfort me. I woke up smiling.
Thanks to Uptown Girl for a PM about my dreams. It really helped. We are very much on the same page as far as our spiritual beliefs go!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Veteran member
Default How many pounds before you worry?

Do you weigh yourself daily? Weekly? Monthly? Never? Do you go by the feel of your clothes? When do you know its time to diet or cut back or do you live on a perpetual diet with moments of splurge? How do you control it all or do you just feel like you 've earned the right to eat what you want by now? How about exercise? Do you plan it or suffer through a formal plan or just skip it? What's your version?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Veteran member

I have a scale that does the weight, Fat, water and Muscle percentages and bone, so I weigh myself every day before showering. I used to not do it regularly and added pounds without really knowing it, until I needed larger clothes. When I food combine I can drop down to my regular weight, but have never been able to lose and keep off the extra 5 pounds that I would like to. Now that I'm on an Lugol's iodine and salt protocol, my thyroid is getting back to balance so perhaps I can shed the extra bit, but it is not a major concern. I figure as long as I feel healthy and can maintain a stable weight, I'm ahead of the game.

One thing that I noticed with the scale is that when I don't do Tai Chi or dancing or some form of weight bearing activity regularly, the weight may go down, but the fat goes up and the muscle goes down, because the fat weighs less than the muscle. So I have learned that it isn't about the total weight as much as it is about keeping the fat% lower. And that is a challenge, especially when we are in TV and eating out more. Wish we could spot lose as most of the extra fat is around the middle.

LW888
Old 02-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Sage

I weigh myself about 4 times a week but I can just tell about how much I weigh just by how I feel and I'm usually right within 2/10 of a pound. If I feel heavier on a given day I adjust my diet and eat smaller, lighter meals and the next day I'm back on track. I walk, a lot, and sometimes do cardio taped on DVD. I plan on swimming a lot when I move here. I do very little weigh training. It all seems to work for me. The belly seems to be the hardest to keep under control.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Sage

I weigh daily on a scale that shows weight, fat percent and water percent. Wish I had one that showed muscle as I'm trying to build up muscle just a bit to boost my metabolism.

I was too thin most of my adult life until I was 50. Then my metabolism died and I found myself eating less and less and weighing more and more. I got up to 134. This past fall, I decided to give it back-- the weight that is. I had a goal to weigh 114 by my 60th birthday, then to lose more and maintain a weight below 110. (I'm under 5'2" tall and small boned.)

On my 60th birthday last month, I weighed 113.6! Amazing the power of a goal! Yesterday morning I cracked the 110 mark weighing in at 109.8 Did it by exersizing 50-minutes daily, portion control, eating mostly whole foods, some protein with every meal and drinking green tea.

To avoid boredom with exercize, I vary among weight classes, zoomba, yoga, pilates and walking. Several years ago, I tried exercizing 3 days a week and found myself making excuses not to go. Something amazing happened when I decided on a daily program. It was hard at first, but after three weeks without missing, I couldn't stand to miss a day! I find I greatly look forward to it. I guess you build up an addiction to it. Best addiction ever! Who knew.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Veteran member
Default Congratulations Pturner.

You are an inspiration. Wish I had your determination. I am 5'1" and medium boned and today I was at 124 with the fat going down and the muscle up so that for me was a bonus. I was under 90 until I was married and then gradually moved up. I also had a very high metabolism, probably hyperthyroid. Think it reversed after my kids were born. Charts say I should be around 115 so aiming for 120 makes sense to me given I will be 70 in July. I like to make allowances for age. People always comment on how small I am, but really I just hide it well. I'm adjusting our diet at the moment and minimizing/eliminating grains and sugars may help with the weight. Looking forward to getting down to TV and back to clogging.

LW888
Old 02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
Do you weigh yourself daily? Weekly? Monthly? Never? Do you go by the feel of your clothes? When do you know its time to diet or cut back or do you live on a perpetual diet with moments of splurge? How do you control it all or do you just feel like you 've earned the right to eat what you want by now? How about exercise? Do you plan it or suffer through a formal plan or just skip it? What's your version?
I'd love to say that I'm one of those people who never think about weight, eat whatever they want, and think that personality is more important than how much you weigh. Someone who feels that it's OK to eat two desserts for breakfast. That is the person I'd like to be.

The person I am is quite different. Weigh myself weekly or daily? Try hourly. I'm kidding, but most everyone I know obsesses about weight, and wishes they weighed less. I have three friends who have gone the "lap band" route. Of course we all know we have to eat less and exercise more, no matter how many books claim they have the "new" information about weight loss.

My doctor says that middle age equals a muffin top, because of women's hormonal changes. Our shapes definitely do change over the years, age and gravity takes a toll. I try to be happy with the body God gave me, and give thanks that I'm alive and healthy and able to enjoy my golden years. But there are definitely times I look in the mirror and sigh for my old bikini days.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I weigh daily on a scale that shows weight, fat percent and water percent. Wish I had one that showed muscle as I'm trying to build up muscle just a bit to boost my metabolism.

I was too thin most of my adult life until I was 50. Then my metabolism died and I found myself eating less and less and weighing more and more. I got up to 134. This past fall, I decided to give it back-- the weight that is. I had a goal to weigh 114 by my 60th birthday, then to lose more and maintain a weight below 110. (I'm under 5'2" tall and small boned.)

On my 60th birthday last month, I weighed 113.6! Amazing the power of a goal! Yesterday morning I cracked the 110 mark weighing in at 109.8 Did it by exersizing 50-minutes daily, portion control, eating mostly whole foods, some protein with every meal and drinking green tea.

To avoid boredom with exercize, I vary among weight classes, zoomba, yoga, pilates and walking. Several years ago, I tried exercizing 3 days a week and found myself making excuses not to go. Something amazing happened when I decided on a daily program. It was hard at first, but after three weeks without missing, I couldn't stand to miss a day! I find I greatly look forward to it. I guess you build up an addiction to it. Best addiction ever! Who knew.
Pturner, Congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment and you're not yet full time in The Villages. I find it so easy to be active when I'm here. Unfortunately my travel schedule does not lead to healthy eating or exercise when on the road.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Veteran member
Default Inspirational!!

Ladies, I would take my hat off to you and how you are working so hard at keeping your weight in check but it's freezing here so I'm keeping it on and THINKING it off <wink>. I weight myself daily and play with the same 2 lbs all the time. It's so hard to get any exercise in the cold of winter. When the weather is nice I love to walk but brrr, I hate to go out in the cold. On Thursday I saw I was up that retched 2 lbs after a VERY stressful week at work where I know I snacked more than I should have so I forced myself to walk even though there was snow on the ground and the winds were whipping around me. The weight is off again but it's a constant merry go round of indulge and punishment. You think I could learn. Most of the time I try to keep my diet healthy. I LOVE the recipes from the Hungry Girl and Gina's Skinny Recipes so that helps. If I ate out all the time it would be harder. Thanks for sharing. So good to have other women to share with. I truly admire how you lost the weight PTurner.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I try to be happy with the body God gave me, and give thanks that I'm alive and healthy and able to enjoy my golden years. But there are definitely times I look in the mirror and sigh for my old bikini days.
I so hear you Barefoot. My dear friend has MS and I think about her and how her body has betrayed her; how hard it is for her to do just normal things in life and I feel bad obsessing about my arms or whatever. I wish I could let it just be but I've never been one of those people who didn't have to think about it. Any weight I don't put on is strictly by obsession only. I so admire anyone who is comfortable with their bodies at ANY weight and wish I could feel like that. You never hear a woman say what a man says casually with a smile on her face, "Yup, got an extra 25 right here" (patting her gut).
Old 02-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Eternal Member
Smile Girl Power on "Shark Tank"

Shark Tank has become one of my most favorite TV programs.
I particularly enjoyed this enthusiastic mother who appeared last week asking for financial help. I think you will enjoy.
Another why didn't I think of that??

Watch Week 4: Shark Tank Season 3 Episode 4 | Free Full TV Shows Online | XFINITY TV

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgal View Post
Shark Tank has become one of my most favorite TV programs.
I particularly enjoyed this enthusiastic mother who appeared last week asking for financial help. I think you will enjoy.
Another why didn't I think of that??

Watch Week 4: Shark Tank Season 3 Episode 4 | Free Full TV Shows Online | XFINITY TV
That is one committed business gal! Good for her. We have an identical show in Canada but it's called Dragon's Den. It even has two of the same entrepreneurs as "judges". I love both shows.

When I see ideas like Swifters, I always say to myself "Why didn't I think of that".
Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
I so hear you Barefoot. My dear friend has MS and I think about her and how her body has betrayed her; how hard it is for her to do just normal things in life and I feel bad obsessing about my arms or whatever. I wish I could let it just be but I've never been one of those people who didn't have to think about it. Any weight I don't put on is strictly by obsession only. I so admire anyone who is comfortable with their bodies at ANY weight and wish I could feel like that. You never hear a woman say what a man says casually with a smile on her face, "Yup, got an extra 25 right here" (patting her gut).
I also admire women who are comfortable with their bodies at any weight. In a perfect world, we'd all love ourselves, no matter how we look or what afflictions we have. I love the Dove ads.

You are so right about the difference between men and women where weight is concerned! I've seen so many men whip off their t-shirts to take a swim with no thought of their beer gut whatsoever. And then I see gorgeous women wearing bathing suit coverups until they slide modestly into the pool.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.