Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Girl Talk

MJ -- Finally made the MoM on Saturday with Kathie, et al. Great fun. The produce is nothing to write home about (okay, I'm spoiled by the Farmers' Markets in California) but it definitely has a little everything from pure schlock to Red Hat gear to anything you can possibly think of. Have to go again soon and bring my knives to be sharpened!

I saw some palm trees being sold on the side of the road on 441 very near Walmart (can't remember the exact location). A truck was loading up with a bunch of seriously tall ones. I noticed that the smaller ones 4-6 feet were selling for $45.00.

BF, here's hoping it really is okay to plant a tree in your front yard.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Good morning, Girls,

I am sitting on my exercise ball even as we speak, -er type - whatever.

Barefoot, I am so happy to hear that you are on a quest for an exercise ball. Let us all know how it goes.

Another Linda, Maybe you can chat up the young man in your office who swears by the exercise ball as a desk chair and see if he will give us pointers. He could become our great guru via cyberspace and the next thing you know he will write a book and appear on "The View" or some such show. We could make him a star.

I need to pass on a warning about these things though, other than that the mouse gets away from you and causes you to send unedited, incoherent messages long before their time. ---

Be sure to corral the :edit: thing at night, in case you need to get up and you are walking around in the dark. These things might be short and round but they are agile and stealthy and will plot against you and roll into your path when you least expect it. - or maybe mine is just harboring hostility because I abandoned it in the basement and forgot all about it for a long, long time.

So be careful and have fun. We really may just be onto/on to something.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:43 PM

Thanx Red, will check it out today... :bigthumbsup:
Old 02-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Sage

MJ -- Hope you haven't left. It's only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sorry!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-25-2008, 02:53 PM

Red,
I knew that about the MoM.

But today will check out the palm tree info... 040

Thanx again...
Old 02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Sage

They probably only sell on that corner on weekends, too. Kinda like the flower and other junk vendors. But the palms did look pretty.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

Gonna change my nic to the "energizer bunny" (see earlier posts)
Handie :joke:
Old 02-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Gold member

Hi Red,

Went to the Market also on Sunday - got there about 1:30. Noticed that there are two areas that sell produce. One has opened sides and the other is part of the enclosed market.

I went to the one that is part of the enclosed market (did not see the other one until we were leaving), red peppers were 5 for a dollar as well as cucumbers. Romaine lettuce, good size, were 2 for a dollar, garlic, felt lazy and bought the peeled, that was $1.50 for a bag about 2 inches by 6 inches. And other produce items.

I did notice you had to walk up and down both aisles, as the vendors sold the same items for different prices.

Red, which market did you go to?

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Sage

Checked them both out. Just wasn't impressed. I don't want to buy my produce by the basket (except berries). I'm used to picking out what I want from a large selection. Was also hoping for more variety, more Asian items (lemon grass, bok choy, etc.). As I said, I'm spoiled and will either have to get used to things the way they are here or stick with the grocery stores.

I did read today that Bushnell is starting a "growers market," which sounds more like what I'm looking for. They said it is still small but will grow over time. February 6 only had 3 vendors but it sounds like more are coming every week. I will definitely have to check it out once I find out where (1) Bushnell is and (2) exactly where and when the market is happening. Sadly, they are limiting it to strictly items grown locally. To me, a good market has things like cheese, bread, jams and jellies. These are not allowed at this market, at least not yet.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Gold member

Hi Red,

Forgot to mention some time ago, that I noticed you added not Antarctica on the bottom of your page.

We are going to see if we can find two Asian markets we saw about 8 weeks ago. Did not go into them, but want to go back. The prices for some items I wanted in Publix were very high compared to what I was paying for them in upstate NY.

I was able to sort through everything I bought. The only items I noticed in baskets were the tomatoes and even those they said you could pick out the fruits you wanted.

What I miss most is the Community Supported Agriculture farm we belonged to. I will have to see if they have one fairly close to the Villages.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 02-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Sage

Well, I will admit it was mainly tomatoes and fresh herbs (especially lemon basil) I wanted. Jess rarely eats tomatoes, so they're for me and they'd go bad before I could finish even one of the small basketsof beefsteaks. Did see some other things in baskets like raddishes (all the green gone which made me very suspicious -- too old to show the green?) and in bags (lettuce, mainly).

If you find the Asian markets again, please let me know. I agree that the stores around here are entirely too expensive when it comes to the Chinese produce and stir fry is a big thing in this household.

And, yes, I haven't lived on the continent of Anarctica. Only continent I've missed, even though South America was minimal. Actually, until my father became ill, North America was the continent we spent the least amount of time in with Europe being the highest. Asia (eastern, usually island nations) and Africa (northeastern, including the Middle East here, with the Belgian Congo and South Africa thrown in for good measure) were pretty equal. Australia/New Zealand were a quick in/out but we still had a home in each for our short stay.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Gold member

Hi Red,

Do you want some tomatoes? I have the golden and the red. Bought the basket and not to sure if we will finish all of them. Still have some left over from when I went the farm market in Leesburg.

HB
Old 02-26-2008, 04:14 AM
Sage

Exercise Ball ...
I really want an exercise ball to use as a desk chair (I wanna be just like BBB).
I know someone out there knows where I can buy one in TOTV. Please tell me where??

Palm Trees ...
Re palm trees, I learned a lot after I bought one. We talked to M & M Landscaping, Terrascape, Tropiscape, Fairfield Farms, A & C Enterprises, etc. The man who planted it (actually it took three men) pointed out to me some trees on our street that had not been properly planted. They were not doing well at all. If there are air pockets left around the root ball, it can kill them. I think it is worth it to pay a bit more and get a guarantee. I have a comfortable feeling that our very large tree has been properly planted. Also, he explained to me why some palm trees need irrigation, and why some other types do not. And too much water will rot their root ball.

Boy oh boy, have I learned a lot of stuff about life in TV over the past four months!!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:31 AM
Time for Tee

You can buy a exercise ball at the Wellness center which is next to the hospital. They cost around $29.00 if I remember. Have two or three sizes so ask for information before you buy one. I took golf condition classes at Wellness and used them for all kinds of crazy movements. Hope this helps!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:43 AM
Sage

Tee Time: Thanks for the info re buying a ball at the Wellness Center. I've never been there and didn't even think about it. Is the Wellness Center expensive, and is it worthwhile? Does it have a hot tub?

BBB: What size of ball do I need for a chair?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.