Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2016, 02:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Many of you will think I am crazy, but yesterday I had a new experience in my life ........... I had a pedicure! I don't like people touching me so I have always done my own finger and toe nails, but due to a weird fatty deposit which is growing around my waist I am having difficulty in reaching the toe nails! I also have a deformed nail which is unsightly and I hate people to see it.

Yesterday I allowed myself to be dragged to Nails and I am completely addicted. It takes me an hour to do what this beautiful young Asian woman did in about six minutes and then she followed up with an incredible foot and leg massage - I was in heaven.

I am still in love with my feet, the deformed nail looks almost normal and I love the color I chose. Cannot wait to go back!
Where is Nails? My mother needs a pedicure.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Where is Nails? My mother needs a pedicure.
I was taken by a friend to Brownwood to Nail Saloon, Brownwood Town Square, Keissel Road 352-391-9391.

As I said in my earlier post, I have never been into a Nail salon before so this was a new and very good experience. I really do have a toe nail that had a terrible fungus infection for many years and when it grew out it was deformed and miserable to try to cut. My friend uses Ivy to do her nails and Kim did mine. I would suggest you take your mother to Ivy, she was very gentle and soft spoken. Kim was great, but very efficient and fast paced.

I would add that I was amazed at how very careful they were with hygiene. They used a new set of tools for every client. I think your Mother would be very happy with them.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 PM
Sage

Madelaine, I also love pedicures.
If I were shipwrecked on an abandoned island and could take only one person with me,
I'd take Angela who does my pedicures. Don't tell Fireboy I said that.
I just had a pedicure today. I'm currently into denim colored nails with a sparkle finish.
When I'm in The Villages, the best nail spa I've found is Angela's Nails on CR 466
(across CR 101 from Southern Trace Plaza). 352-350-2932. Everyone who works there is good.
They give a blissful leg massage followed by hot towels.
It's very quiet and peaceful there.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I was taken by a friend to Brownwood to Nail Saloon, Brownwood Town Square, Keissel Road 352-391-9391.

As I said in my earlier post, I have never been into a Nail salon before so this was a new and very good experience. I really do have a toe nail that had a terrible fungus infection for many years and when it grew out it was deformed and miserable to try to cut. My friend uses Ivy to do her nails and Kim did mine. I would suggest you take your mother to Ivy, she was very gentle and soft spoken. Kim was great, but very efficient and fast paced.

I would add that I was amazed at how very careful they were with hygiene. They used a new set of tools for every client. I think your Mother would be very happy with them.
Thanks Madelaine. We will try this.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Madelaine, I also love pedicures.
If I were shipwrecked on an abandoned island and could take only one person with me,
I'd take Angela who does my pedicures. Don't tell Fireboy I said that.
I just had a pedicure today. I'm currently into denim colored nails with a sparkle finish.
When I'm in The Villages, the best nail spa I've found is Angela's Nails on CR 466
(across CR 101 from Southern Trace Plaza). 352-350-2932. Everyone who works there is good.
They give a blissful leg massage followed by hot towels.
It's very quiet and peaceful there.
Thanks for the information and that would be a much better location for me because I am closer to that area. I was always hesitant about going to just any old salon because of this ugly toe nail. I imagined someone would be throwing me out of their salon!

Hmm denim colored toe nails .......... sounds really pretty, I was in Wally World recently and the young and very beautiful cashier had Yellow nails and against her dark skin they were striking. Unfortunately, in my case, I think the other half would go into shock if I turned up with out of the ordinary colored nails. For my finger nails I use Essie nail polish, I get them in Target, and this is by far the best nail polish I have ever used and their colors are just scrumptious. Also, while I am on the subject, has anyone else found the wonderful nail remover pads in the little box that Publix carries now? They come six to a box for $1.99, but they are really super, each little square is just loaded with remover and I can do all ten toe nails and finger nails and then the little pad just miraculously dries out and is done. So much easier than messing with bottles of remover and cotton.

ALSO, yesterday I found and purchased a Gold Bond moisturizer for diabetics. Thankfully I am not diabetic, but I do have very dry feet. It costs about $10 and is the best cream I have tried so far. If anyone has very dry and cracked feet or elbows try this stuff, it is really good.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 06-04-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:33 AM
Smile Single Lady

Hi Ladies!

I've been lurking on these boards for several years now, but this is my first time to post. I actually retired in Florida almost five years ago, but got homesick and moved back to IL to be near family. Now that the reality of a few frozen winters has set in, I'm considering a move back to Florida, (at least part of the year), and I just love the community based feeling I get from reading about TV.

My question is, I am a single woman, (and LOVE it that way!), and I'm wondering how I would fit in there. Do you have many other singles there?

Thanks in advance for all your kind input!

Debbie
Old 06-06-2016, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbum View Post
Hi Ladies!

I've been lurking on these boards for several years now, but this is my first time to post. I actually retired in Florida almost five years ago, but got homesick and moved back to IL to be near family. Now that the reality of a few frozen winters has set in, I'm considering a move back to Florida, (at least part of the year), and I just love the community based feeling I get from reading about TV.

My question is, I am a single woman, (and LOVE it that way!), and I'm wondering how I would fit in there. Do you have many other singles there? Thanks in advance for all your kind input! Debbie
Hi NetBum and welcome. I am not a single woman, sometimes I think I am, but no I am married. However, there is a huge singles group here and they seem to have a wonderful time. Look on this board for posts from ChaChaCha and also Cathy1, infact chacha posted just this morning about a new dance and Cathy1 also posted. So if you search this board you will find people you could ask and who could tell you exactly what goes on in the TV singles world.

I know just a little about the singles due to my very best friend being widowed a year or so ago and she needed help adjusting.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
ALSO, yesterday I found and purchased a Gold Bond moisturizer for diabetics. Thankfully I am not diabetic, but I do have very dry feet. It costs about $10 and is the best cream I have tried so far. If anyone has very dry and cracked feet or elbows try this stuff, it is really good.
Thanks for the suggestion. I always like to try stuff other people have recommended.
I still use Paula's Choice daily - tinted moisturer with SPF that was suggested by Wandatime on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbum View Post
My question is, I am a single woman, (and LOVE it that way!), and I'm wondering how I would fit in there. Do you have many other singles there?
I suggest you send a PM to ChaChaCha. She is a warm and welcoming single.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 PM

Thanks for having girl talk. I miss my talks with girl friends back in Jax. I am looking for a small church where the congregation accepts casual dress and the sermons are uplifting but not judgmental. I am by myself and want to make friends. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2016, 12:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite381@comcast.net View Post
Thanks for having girl talk. I miss my talks with girl friends back in Jax. I am looking for a small church where the congregation accepts casual dress and the sermons are uplifting but not judgmental. I am by myself and want to make friends. Thanks!

I don't know much about churches in The Villages.
When I go to church, I go to Unity on 441 or New Covenant on CR 101.
Do you know about the Search button (above)? You can do a search on churches to see previous recommendations.
Chachacha is the "go to girl" for singles stuff.

I see you've been a TOTV member since 2014. I'm glad you've started posting.
Please feel free to ask any questions or bring up any topics here on Girl Talk.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite381@comcast.net View Post
Give First Presbyterian in Wildwood a try. Right off of 466Aby 301. They have a web site.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default Clothes-shur......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I am hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.....

I am so aggravated at having brand new black pants turn a noncommittal shade of charcoal gray after just two or three washings.

The pants are cotton, mostly capris. Some of them from L. L. Bean and Lands End.

I wash them in cold water. I turn them inside-out. I use Woolite. Sometimes I use Cheer. Both of those promise to guard my colors. But that is not happening.

I am spending my life-savings replacing capris because the ones in my closet look like 50 shades of charcoal.

Any laundry tips that can put me back in black?

I know. I know it is excruciatingly tacky to quote oneself, as I am doing above by citing p. 252, post 2511, here in "Girl Talk." But it has been a long time since our October discussion of how to keep our black pants black.

Thank you for all the good suggestions following my question when I originally asked. -- I thought I would pick up again here and tell you what I am doing that seems to be helping...........

I am still using Woolite or Cheer and turning the pants inside-out but NOW all I use is the delicate cycle and I have been adding a tiny bit of Downy to the wash cycle itself. Just putting it directly into the water. Not a lot though.......

This is based on the theory that clothes can kind of beat each other up while sloshing around together in the washer and the use of only the delicate cycle plus the touch of Downy might be making the clothes take it a little easier on each other and keep their color longer.

The old linen capris always get to go to the cleaners. But I admit that while they are gone, I fret a bit over the possibility of a dry cleaner using too much heat when pressing black linen and giving me back shiny pants.

I recently bought a couple of pairs of sort of dressy capris from Talbots, but so far they are just hanging in the closet waiting to go somewhere........Well, they did get to go to be hemmed so I will not look like I am wearing the dreaded highwater pants.....

which brings up that other issue of where do proper length capris stop? ...... Yeah. I know. Just above where the skinniest part of the leg starts???

Last edited by Boomer; 06-14-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:20 PM

Does anyone know where Thomas formerly at Solar Nails in Pinellas has gone? Heard he is somewhere around the Villages but do not know where, and, of course, they will not tell you.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I know. I know it is excruciatingly tacky to quote oneself, as I am doing above by citing p. 252, post 2511, here in "Girl Talk."
I didn't know it was excruciatingly tacky to quote oneself. Seriously, thanks for the lesson on Internet protocols.
I've never even tweeted.

Didn't someone suggest washing black pants with pepper? Have you tried that?

I can tell you what not to do. Do not wash your black pants with any color of towels, even dark.
Obviously I've never attended Laundry 101.
You will spend at least a week picking off lint. Your black pants will never recover.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:04 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I didn't know it was excruciatingly tacky to quote oneself. Seriously, thanks for the lesson on Internet protocols.
I've never even tweeted.

Didn't someone suggest washing black pants with pepper? Have you tried that?

I can tell you what not to do. Do not wash your black pants with any color of towels, even dark.
Obviously I've never attended Laundry 101.
You will spend at least a week picking off lint. Your black pants will never recover.
Actually, Barefoot, I was told that only one time and it was many, many years ago on TOTV -- which is still the only place I ever post. I have never read it anywhere else. For some reason, it stuck with me. -- But, like I said, that was long ago. I still quote myself from time to time, anyway.

I never have tweeted either, would not know where to begin.

And, I am not on Facebook -- for that one, I get chastised on a regular basis. I probably need to set up Facebook sometime.

And, although I have had an iPad for so long that this one is my second one, I still do not know how to link on the iPad.

So please do not pay any attention to what I said about quoting oneself. I read it here 9 years ago. EEK! 9 years around here. (Blush) (Blush) EEK! (I really must learn about this Facebook thing I keep hearing about.)

About your pants washed with the towels........uh oh, not only the lint but I bet the towels were abrasive to the pants while they were sloshing around together.

Also, while I am here, I might as well throw in that I finally finished watching Grace and Frankie.

Boomer
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.