Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2016, 02:37 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Boomer, where did you watch Florence Foster Jenkins? Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant are two of my favorite actors.

By the way, I keep seeing on other threads that you're considering selling. Please tell me you're not leaving The Villages.
Hi Barefoot,

I watched Florence on cable.

Yeah. I know. I have been dropping breadcrumbs around here as I work this thing through. Thought about it last year, but it is always so nice to be there and I really like our house and neighbors and location. But.........it's the "being there" part that is becoming less and less -- due to our northern life. Sometimes I just want to be a (gasp) renter.

Still north. Will see what happens.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:59 PM
Soaring Parsley

Hi again,

Here's another Meryl Streep movie for you......Ricki and the Flash. In this one she plays an aging rocker who had left her kids behind in Indianapolis to chase her dream. Her kids grow up. She comes back into their lives. The story is pretty predictable, but I liked it.

I had to check the iPad to see if she was doing her own singing and, of course, she was.

Having watched two Meryl Streep movies on cable this weekend reminded me of how gifted she truly is. Florence and Ricki were very different kinds of women.........but they both sure did love their music.

It has been such an exciting weekend for me. Got one of those stupid colds that makes me feel like my head is a concrete block. Had to turn down an invitation to have an actual social life so I could lie around, wearing mismatched flannel, eating popsicles, and watching cable. But, at least, I liked the movies.

What I probably need now is a recipe for a hot toddy.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-01-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hi again,

Here's another Meryl Streep movie for you......Ricki and the Flash. In this one she plays an aging rocker who had left her kids behind in Indianapolis to chase her dream. Her kids grow up. She comes back into their lives. The story is pretty predictable, but I liked it.

I had to check the iPad to see if she was doing her own singing and, of course, she was.

Having watched two Meryl Streep movies on cable this weekend reminded me of how gifted she truly is. Florence and Ricki were very different kinds of women.........but they both sure did love their music.

It has been such an exciting weekend for me. Got one of those stupid colds that makes me feel like my head is a concrete block. Had to turn down an invitation to have an actual social life so I could lie around, wearing mismatched flannel, eating popsicles, and watching cable. But, at least, I liked the movies.

What I probably need now is a recipe for a hot toddy.
I watched Ricki and the Flash on a plane ride. She sure is good. Somehow I knew she did her own singing, with a lot of coaching. They were going to dub her, but he said no. She put in the work. An amazing talent.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Soaring Parsley

In another thread this morning, I wrote an agreeing and commiserating rant about people who have bad manners. These clods are inflicting themselves on others, more and more, and everywhere. I try not to rant. But sometimes I just have to.

Anyway, I almost deleted what I wrote because......why bother.......but I decided instead to come over here to "Girl Talk" to recommend a book on the topic of my rant.......

The book is Rude B**ches Make Me Tired: slightly profane and entirely logical answers to modern etiquette dilemmas by Celia Rivenbark. (The title says it all.)

Celia Rivenbark is a southern writer with a bit of a mouth on her and an insightful attitude......I like her. I am just aggravated because she writes stuff I think but I did not write a book. Dammit. Oh well, anyway........One of her other books is Stop Dressing Your Six-Year Old Like A Skank. (I have not read that one yet.)

Rivenbark says things that need to be said. Sometimes her writing makes me laugh out loud.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-05-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:08 PM

Wanted to share an experience I had with Rosalie, seamstress -

I am sorry to say that my dealings with Rosalie were not positive.
I have spoken with the police about what occurred and they said I was to trusting. I did not get a receipt from her, nor did I make a notation on my check what the amount was for.

I gave her size 16 silk lined Talbot slacks. She gave me back size 18 slacks, that were of a brand I never heard of.

I am now in the process of handling this matter through other means.

Vicar of Dibley
Old 01-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
In another thread this morning, I wrote an agreeing and commiserating rant about people who have bad manners. These clods are inflicting themselves on others, more and more, and everywhere. I try not to rant. But sometimes I just have to.

Anyway, I almost deleted what I wrote because......why bother.......but I decided instead to come over here to "Girl Talk" to recommend a book on the topic of my rant.......

The book is Rude B**ches Make Me Tired: slightly profane and entirely logical answers to modern etiquette dilemmas by Celia Rivenbark. (The title says it all.)

Celia Rivenbark is a southern writer with a bit of a mouth on her and an insightful attitude......I like her. I am just aggravated because she writes stuff I think but I did not write a book. Dammit. Oh well, anyway........One of her other books is Stop Dressing Your Six-Year Old Like A Skank. (I have not read that one yet.)

Rivenbark says things that need to be said. Sometimes her writing makes me laugh out loud.

Boomer
Boomer, want to thank you for your reading recommendations. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a book suggestions area on TOTV, although there probably is one and I just have not looked for it.

I am constantly amazed at the sheer rudeness of people, both men and women here in TV. Today I got the finger salute because a woman in a golf cart thought she should have been where I was in my great big car (hey lady, don't mess with a big old car while you are in a plastic cadillac especially when you are in the wrong). Last night I was getting some cold cuts in Publix when a woman came up with a picture in a magazine and told the deli person that is what she wanted. Truthfully, the whole counter stopped dead and everyone looked to see just what was going on! Last week, in Dr. River's waiting room, I got up to open the door for a lady in a wheelchair when a man pushed his way in from outside and almost fell over her! And I could go on and on, but what is the use.

It bothers me though that civility is taking a back seat to decency.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICAR OF DIBLEY View Post
Wanted to share an experience I had with Rosalie, seamstress -

I am sorry to say that my dealings with Rosalie were not positive.
I have spoken with the police about what occurred and they said I was to trusting. I did not get a receipt from her, nor did I make a notation on my check what the amount was for.

I gave her size 16 silk lined Talbot slacks. She gave me back size 18 slacks, that were of a brand I never heard of.

I once had an issue with a seamstress (not in TV). I dropped off a pair of slacks to be shortened, and a skirt to be lengthened. You can guess... she did the opposite. My problem was that a) I did not write down the instructions and keep a copy, and b) I did not inspect the clothing before taking the clothes home. The woman just denied doing anything wrong, and I was out the cost of the alterations. Not to mention being left with a mini skirt and no way to fix that. With two little kids and no proof, was not going to take her to small claims court over a somewhat insignificant amount of $ in their eyes.

But lesson learned.

Last edited by CFrance; 01-19-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
The book is Rude B**ches Make Me Tired: slightly profane and entirely logical answers to modern etiquette dilemmas by Celia Rivenbark. She says things that need to be said. Sometimes her writing makes me laugh out loud.
I'll put that book on my "must read" list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICAR OF DIBLEY View Post
Wanted to share an experience I had with Rosalie, seamstress. I am sorry to say that my dealings with Rosalie were not positive.
It's hard to understand how such a mistake could happen.
I bet the woman who got slacks that were too small was equally upset.

Quote:
Here's another Meryl Streep movie for you......Ricki and the Flash. In this one she plays an aging rocker who had left her kids behind in Indianapolis to chase her dream. Her kids grow up. She comes back into their lives. The story is pretty predictable, but I liked it. I had to check the iPad to see if she was doing her own singing and, of course, she was.
I think Meryl Streep is the BEST actor in movies, she is so talented and can play any role convincingly.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:14 AM
Soaring Parsley

This Is Us -- Tuesdays, on NBC........

-- Definitely Binge Worthy. (if you're not there already)

-- Well defined characters who make us want to keep tuning in to see how they are doing.

-- And the two "old" guys (the characters, Dr. Katowski and William Hill) are scripted to give the best advice, wise and wonderful.

-- The show might make you cry sometimes........but that's OK.

-- I recently heard about it from a friend, found it "On Demand" and now I am all caught up and set to record tonight.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:15 PM

Call Wella to see where they sell in the area
Old 02-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Sage

We are currently living in a rental home for a few months while our house is being renovated.
My scalp is itchy all the time, and I've never experienced anything similar in ten years in Florida.
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this, and what they did to fix it.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:54 PM
Sage

Boomer, have you decided if you're selling your house?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
We are currently living in a rental home for a few months while our house is being renovated.
My scalp is itchy all the time, and I've never experienced anything similar in ten years in Florida.
You have any argan oil left? You could massage that into your scalp. Or call Samantha and ask her.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
You have any argan oil left? You could massage that into your scalp.
I thought you were going to say I had cooties.
I think it's probably a lack of humidity. Argon oil might work.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Is your scalp only itchy since you moved into your rental? Cat allergy? Mold in the home? T-gel shampoo and conditioner works wonders..

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.