Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Gold member
Default Re: Girl Talk

Nonie, just had my hair done at Salon St. T, stylist name is Kevin. He seemed extremely knowledgeable about a variety of products.

I will ask him tomorrow when I see him and let you know what he says.

See ya,

HB
Old 03-21-2008, 04:26 AM
Gold member

Barefoot, this is a possibility for you.

http://www.sababotanical.com/
Old 03-21-2008, 06:05 AM
Dancing Thyme

Barefoot, sorry to hear that. You must be very careful. That's why I'm gray/white. I developed severe dermatitis after my surgery from the meds so I waited all this time to color my hair back to my wonderful Auburn color, but I've done patch tests with even vegetable die products from L'Oreal and the health food stores, I still break out. Guess I'll have to love the "white". But you must make sure to do a patch test before every application. There's also a Roux product that I'm going to try and its basically colored water so I'll let you know how it comes out.

But, if your developing the signs of allergic condition now, it will only get worse so don't be too blase about it. It can give you serious problems. Take it from the lady who was in the hair care industry for many years,..... meeeeee!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Kathie,
I love your gray-white hair color! I wish I hadn't started coloring mine. I never wanted to be one of those older women with either blue
The Villages Florida
or dark, dark hair that just didn't look appropriate. And the highlights thing or gradually getting blonder seems like so much work, so I'm wondering how people get the courage to just stop coloring.
Any suggestions from the Sistahs?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Sage

If you have the coloring that goes with white or gray hair, you are lucky indeed. If I let mine grow out, it would age me by 15 years. I have to hope I don't become allergic to hair color.
Maybe in a couple more years I won't give a rat's butt if I'm all silver or not. I'd like that!
Old 03-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Sage

Does anyone know of an over the counter hair color that lasts?It seems that gray starts comming thru so quickly. Ive tried most of the more common name brands but lately in no time at all those awful grays are starring back at me!

I realize that no hair color will last forever but I would expect at least 6 weeks before new growth starts showing. Help!!!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:06 PM

Maybe Sistah Donna would have some suggestions - I believe she had some good recommendations on an earlier post a few months ago.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Sage

Nonie, I think hair grows so fast down here. I can color and in 4 weeks have lots of roots showing.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Dancing Thyme

Sam, I hope you're right cause I'm having another female problem right now --- HYPOTHYROIDISM!!

Anyone else having these problems? Seems its a really annoying female thing. My hair is thinning and they can't seem to get the fluctuation of my thyroid under control lately. I think its connected to stress as well and goodness knows, I'm under a lot of stress lately.
Hoping my final move to TV will solve all those problems.

Nonie, gray hairs are extremely resistant and hair color just doesn't want to grab onto the follicles, that's why the directions say to leave the color on longer for gray hair. I used to keep the color on for about 45 min. even though they say it stops working after 35. So try that, also you might want to try a wash in color shampoo inbetween colorings to cover the new growth. Hope this helps.

I'm so glad I have all you sistah's!! Can't wait until we are all together to chat in person.

Love ya, Kath

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

Old 03-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Gold member

Yes Kathy, I have hypothyroidism and have been on medication for some years now. Luckily I didn't have the thinning hair problem. That only happens when I use steroids and then it falls out constantly. It did take some return trips and blood work to adjust my thyroid meds. The one thing it really helped was how cold I always was, hand and feet extremely cold. Now most of the time my hands and feet are warm for the first time in my life. I do think stress has an affect on thyroid and I do believe it has an affect on skin, hair, nails. Hard to not stress but better for overall health is you can find a stress reliever.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 03-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan&Tom
Barefoot, this is a possibility for you. http://www.sababotanical.com/
Thanks, this was a great site with lots of helpful information. The application directions, if I understand them correctly, seem a little difficult but if it works, why not!

I took the liberty of writing to them last night to ask about allergy testing and received this response this morning: "Although there a slim chance of any one getting a allergic reaction from Lustrous Henna all natural hair colors, but no matter how natural a product is, some one could be allergic to it, as some people are allergic to nuts, some to the milk products etc. That is the reason an allergy patch test is recommended."

Good advice, so it seems that even "natural" could be a problem. I am going to order this product today, so I'll give you an update soon.

Thanks sistah's

Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Veteran member

Speaking of hair color...... years ago there was a product called Egyptian Henna; it was supposedly all natural, looked like DIRT which you mixed with hot water into something that resembled MUD and packed that on top of your head & then wrapped the whole thing with a towel for about 30 minutes. Does anyone remember that ??????? I used it a couple of times to fill-in the gray hairs and it was always satisfactory but soooo messy !
Old 03-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan&Tom
Barefoot, this is a possibility for you. http://www.sababotanical.com/
Thank you SO much for the web site, this is exactly what I was hoping for. :bigthumbsup:
Old 03-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe
years ago there was a product called Egyptian Henna; it was supposedly all natural, looked like DIRT which you mixed with hot water into something that resembled MUD and packed that on top of your head & then wrapped the whole thing with a towel for about 30 minutes. always satisfactory but soooo messy
CIB, Saba Botanical's hair color called Lustrous Henna has the same directions: Make paste in water and soak for 5-10 min then apply to hair, leave on 30-60 min. and rinse. Actually its much more involved than what I typed, but I think the whole process takes about 70 minutes and then the color doesn't start to appear for 24-48 hours?? Sounds strange and messy too. Also, if more than 30% gray, may require 2 applications for color to appear. With my white hair, but it will be more like 3-4 applications. Don't know if its worth it.

Kath

Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Sage

yuk!! What an ordeal, Thank goodness they came out with rub it on, wait 20 minutes and rinse it out.

I guess theres a lot to be said for modern convieniences.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.