Girl Talk

Girl Talk

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 02-26-2019, 02:18 PM
Sage

A question for knitters: Do any dry cleaners in the area block knitted items? I was given a beautiful hand-knitted scarf, but it is not blocked and basically rolls into a long tube. Years ago you could have knits blocked at the cleaner's.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:19 PM

Love the topics! Thanks for starting this. We're still in VA; moving to TV next week, DeSoto! Can barely wait. I envision living in sandals and therefore want pedicures. Need recommendations for pedicure, hopefully south of 466A. Thanks, ladies. : )
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2019, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
Love the topics! Thanks for starting this. We're still in VA; moving to TV next week, DeSoto! Can barely wait. I envision living in sandals and therefore want pedicures. Need recommendations for pedicure, hopefully south of 466A. Thanks, ladies. : )
Chrisinva, welcome to The Villages. I think there is a new Angela's in the vicinity of Brownwood south of CR 466A. There is an existing Angela's in Buffalo Ridge Plaza across from Southern Trace on CR 466 and CR 101. I live mid-Villages, so it's the one I prefer. It's golf cart accessible and offers good prices and a quiet ambiance.

Boomer, I don't know about J. Peterman's products. However if it's not made in China (and everything seems to be made in China these days), I find the sizes are fairly consistent. I also find Chico's sizes confusing.

CFrance, knitting is definitely out of my league.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Chrisinva, welcome to The Villages. I think there is a new Angela's in the vicinity of Brownwood south of CR 466A. There is an existing Angela's in Buffalo Ridge Plaza across from Southern Trace on CR 466 and CR 101. I live mid-Villages, so it's the one I prefer. It's golf cart accessible and offers good prices and a quiet ambiance.

Boomer, I don't know about J. Peterman's products. However if it's not made in China (and everything seems to be made in China these days), I find the sizes are fairly consistent. I also find Chico's sizes confusing.

CFrance, knitting is definitely out of my league.
I think the new Angela's is in Trailwinds.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-27-2019, 11:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Oh my! I just got a J. Peterman catalog and I can’t stop reading that hilariously over-the-top prose that is their trademark copy.

Remember, that was the guy parodied on Seinfeld. He was Elaine’s boss and he talked just like the catalog copy. Tickled the heck outa me.

I have never bought anything from J. Peterman. But I think I just might do that.

Has anyone here ever bought from J. Peterman?

If so, how is the quality and how are the sizes?

Is a 12 a 12 or is it a 16 or a 10?

(You know how it goes with sizes. Every clothing manufacturer does its thing — and then there is Chico’s — where you have to break their code. For years I was afraid to try anything on in Chico’s, fled the scene quickly, because I thought Chico’s was for sizes 1 and 2 only. I always thought that was a dumb marketing scheme but I guess it works for them.)

As far as quality goes, when I was still working, Coldwater Creek was my go to and then something changed with them and their fabrics and soon the stores went away. I still cannot part with some of my old Coldwater Creek jackets.

Anyway, anybody? Any advice on J. Peterman?
Hey Boomer, I have never heard of J. Peterman's, but I just looked at their catalog and some of their dresses look really interesting. Did you see the 1927 Beaded flapper dress # 2924.

As for Chico's - weird sizing. But, I had a great experience in there ... I was hunting through the racks and this lovely lady came up and said "There is nothing in here that would fit you dear, this is a fat ladies store" She obviously needed her eyes checked, but did I feel good for just a short while.

My go to store is Anne Taylor. I LOVE her stuff, and their sales are incredible. Right now she is unloading last year's dresses for about $30 to $40.

I also like the clothing in Soft Surroundings, under Katie Belles, but you have to be 8ft tall and built like a string bean to wear their styles. I used to really like Talbots, my go to place for business clothes when I was working, but they are quite awful now. My husband calls them Tall Butts ..... He's a prince

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-27-2019, 11:24 AM

You could block the scarf yourself, CFrance. Soft somewhat cool steam iron and a sheet between the scarf and iron. Let it cool. If it still does not hold the shape then apply a mild starch (water with a bit of flour) or spray starch very lightly. We used this method on very delicate lace doilies which my mother and I used to crochet.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
A question for knitters: Do any dry cleaners in the area block knitted items? I was given a beautiful hand-knitted scarf, but it is not blocked and basically rolls into a long tube. Years ago you could have knits blocked at the cleaner's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
You could block the scarf yourself, CFrance. Soft somewhat cool steam iron and a sheet between the scarf and iron. Let it cool. If it still does not hold the shape then apply a mild starch (water with a bit of flour) or spray starch very lightly. We used this method on very delicate lace doilies which my mother and I used to crochet.
I would not use starch/flour in blocking your scarf particularly if you don't know what the fiber content is. I've always used "Magic Sizing" or a light spray starch when ironing doilies, napkins, etc. if needed (cotton only).

Regarding your scarf . . . wet it or I guess I should say dampen it. Just so it is not soaking wet is okay, but it should be wet. Place it on a towel that is large enough to accommodate the size of your scarf. Shape it. Pull it gently to shape if necessary. If it will not hold the shape you've put it in, pin it or clip it to the towel so when it dries, it will still hold the shape. Use only stainless or plastic pins or clips.

This method should work. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2019, 11:11 PM

Advice of Midnight sounds good, in the old country we had to improvise, no Magic Sizing.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Advice of Midnight sounds good, in the old country we had to improvise, no Magic Sizing.

I'm smiling.

No, I'm laughing!
I'm not even sure Magic Sizing is still available in supermarkets!
I haven't bought it in a looooong time.

Thanks!