Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Golden Sunrise Member
Default Thank you... and bathing suits....

Hi Gracie,

What a lovely thing to say. We are officially less than a month now, so the excitement is building.

Barefoot... I think the best way to find a suit that makes you look slimmer is to try the catalogs - especially Lands End. The suits come with a "protection" strip and you can try them on in the relative comfort of you own home. I hate trying on suits in stores - between the florescent lights and the sales people trying to be helpful.

The suits that make you look thinner also seem to be heavier - something has to keep my pooch under control. So I just say the H * * L with it and go for comfort,

Kate
Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Hi Gracie,

Barefoot... I think the best way to find a suit that makes you look slimmer is to try the catalogs - especially Lands End. Kate
Does Lands End have a website? I've never heard of it. And bathing suits usually can't be returned. So how does that work if you're ordering from a catalogue?

Thanks Kate!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Bare, we're dying to know! (dyeing? lol) How did your hair color adventure turn out? What did you have done? What did you ask them to do? Did your hair turn out the way you hoped it would? Do you have any photos you can share? Was it really inexpensive? Inquiring minds want to know.

The last time I had my hair colored I asked for subtle highlights. I hoped for thin little SUBTLE highlights all over sort of like you used to get with a "frosting cap." Remember those? They were like shower caps with tiny holes all over and the stylist pulled your hair through with something like a crochet hook? And remember how much it hurt? But the results were usually worth the pain, at least that's how I remember it. I tried to explain it to my young stylist, but she had never heard of a frosting cap. I didn't want her to USE one, but I wanted results like I used to get with it, so I kept repeating the words "subtle" and "highlights."

When she was finished my entire head was a strange, shimmery copper color (much like an astronaut's face mask) with bright white skunk stripes all over the top! WIDE skunk stripes. Yikes! I've been afraid to have it colored again. I don't know what to ask for. Apparently the definitions of subtle and highlights have changed over the years. Does anybody know what the new terminology is?
JudyJudyJudy,

How well I remember that cap. And how well I know the horrors of a botched dye-job. Back in the days of that plastic cap plus crochet hook, I ended up with a badly done "frosting." I tried to cover those streaks with brown. Not a good plan. I turned my hair olive green.

Subtle highlights these days are called "spotlights" in my neck of the woods. I think sometimes spotlights are just in front though. Make sure how that translates. But something tells me that the one who got a hold of you did not have a clue about much of anything.

Later on in the thread, you said that you saw a color pen on television. I hope we can track that down. And I hope it comes in darker colors, too.

Here's why......

My hair grows really fast. I cannot get by much more than a month before those white roots start to glare. I am white right on top and even though the rest of the color still looks fine, if I let that white top get too long, from a distance it looks like Friar Tuck's haircut. I think his haircut was called a tonsure. Anyway, from a distance, that white top starts to look like it is scalp. Hence, the Friar Tuck haircut (or hair shave) look.

So you can bet I am there with my life savings money, just turning it over to my hairdresser. I am extremely loyal to my hairdresser. She saved me from pink hair years ago when my former hairdresser could not seem to figure out that it was time to change from semi-permanent to permanent color. She is one heck of a chemist, knows color like nobody I have ever seen. But she is close to my age and I fear she will retire. I have told her that I will stalk her once a month if she dares to retire. We always have such a good time, too, while she is coloring my hair. We can talk about hormones and such. She is not one of those young ones wearing those 5-inch high-heeled shoes while standing on her feet all day.

Ironically, when this thread started about a year ago, I think the first discussion was about hair color. I was going on and on about Wella and could I find Wella in TV. Wella is the only one that will cover my while roots.

She uses Wella on the roots and I get spotlights every three months or so, sometimes I get highlights, always subtle though. She also uses something she calls "clear." I think it is a Goldwell product. It goes on last and what it does is it brings back the shine. (I am tellin' ya, it is a piece of work.)

So this gets pretty expensive because my hair grows kind of fast and sometimes I would like to be able to just do something to the roots with a Crayola or something like that, only better, when those roots first come in. Not only to save some money, but if I am away from home and need my roots done, whatever would I do? I have had too many bad dye jobs over the years. Green. Pink. And a few others in between. Not up to taking a chance again.

So anyway, Judy, I hope this pen comes in a color to help me get those roots on top and stretch the time in between those hairdresser appointments. I don't know if I can really make it work right though. A couple of times I have actually had people say that they did not think my hair was dyed. That is the best compliment you can get on a dye-job as far as I am concerned. So I will probably continue to pay through the nose to get the expertise. But I want to learn more about that pen, just in case.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 03-27-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Dancing Thyme

Bare, here's the link. They have great stuff. About returning bathing suits? I'm not sure but a quick phone all to cust serv will answer that. Hope this helps.

http://www.landsend.com/ix/womens-cl...ze=12&store=le

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Does Lands End have a website? I've never heard of it. And bathing suits usually can't be returned. So how does that work if you're ordering from a catalogue?

Thanks Kate!
Barefoot,

I was just going on and on about my roots here and when I sent it to post I looked back and saw your post so here I am again.

Kate is right. Lands End is great. And yes you can return bathing suits. And they come in "long" torso (read "more stretch" between the lines there) I have been ordering the same black bathing suit from them for more than a hundred years now. I stockpile them so that when the chlorine eats one, I have another one ready. I think it is called the "tugless tank" or something like that. They have an amazing selection of bathing suits.

(And btw, I have always said "bathing suits." But when Chicago son-in-law came into the family, he thought that was weird and that we should call them swimming suits. But I do not pay any attention to what he says. He also thought Cincinnati Skyline Chili was weird and now he is hooked on it. HAH!!!)

Boomer
Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

That is funny Boomer! We say bathing suits here in Michigan too, but if you think about it, swimming suits does make more sense. When you are using a public pool you really hope that people aren't going there to bathe.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Sage

I just checked out the Lands End site .. they have 203 bathing suits. A plethora! I wonder if the sizes are "true"??

Before every house was equipped with running water, (shudder), perhaps the term "bathing suit" was quite accurate.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1 View Post
That is funny Boomer! We say bathing suits here in Michigan too, but if you think about it, swimming suits does make more sense. When you are using a public pool you really hope that people aren't going there to bathe.
You know, though, SS, now that I think about it a little bit. Is it called the "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue"? You don't suppose my SIL, when he tried to correct us, was operating under the influence of such a thing do you?

Boomer
Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 AM

Barefoot, I have ordered my bathing suits from Lands End for the last 5 years. The sizes are true and the quality is very good. Just wish I got to use them more in Michigan!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Soaring Parsley
Default Maybe get the catalogue itself

Barefoot,

I tend to be a dinosaur when it comes to trying to shop online. Actually I find it to be slow and in the case of all those bathing suit choices, maybe a little overwhelming. I like to just flip through a catalogue I can hold in my hands. And go back later easily. (I really must be a dinosaur.) I just took a look at the Lands End catalogue I just got and it has a big section on bathing suits. If you don't mind getting catalogues in the mail, you might want to call and have them send you one.

Boomer
Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 AM

I agree. Look in the book first, then check the one you like online. They show back views too.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Hi Ladies,

It seems some of my sistuhs have also used Lands End. I have tried sometimes buying a couple of styles in a couple of sizes, then returning the ones you don't like.

Because they have that privacy strip on the bottom, they let you return them. I have also found their operators and on-line chat folks to be very knowledgeable about the products. So they can tell you if that Tugless Tank that Boomer likes fits true ti size. Even when I was a size 6 (back when I met Mr. Katezbox a mere 8 years ago), I still took a size larger in a suit.

I also really like that they have a lot of the two piece tankini styles. I am really short waisted, but have long legs to they fit me better especially now that I am a bit fluffier. And don't worry about the "-ini" at the end - these cover up what needs covering!

We New Englanders also call them bathing suits.

Kate
Old 03-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
JudyJudyJudy,

Later on in the thread, you said that you saw a color pen on television. I hope we can track that down. And I hope it comes in darker colors, too.

. . .
So anyway, Judy, I hope this pen comes in a color to help me get those roots on top and stretch the time in between those hairdresser appointments. I don't know if I can really make it work right though. A couple of times I have actually had people say that they did not think my hair was dyed. That is the best compliment you can get on a dye-job as far as I am concerned. So I will probably continue to pay through the nose to get the expertise. But I want to learn more about that pen, just in case.

Boomer
OK Bare & Boomer, I've been searching and googling for this product for days, and this is all I could find: http://www.quicktint.net/what_they_said.html
This product doesn't look like a hair dye; it looks more like a cover-up -- like mascara for the hair (hairscara?).

I thought the product they had on the Today show was actual hair color in a pen, but it was early in the morning and I was still on my first cup of coffee. The product was one of the featured new beauty "must-haves" for spring, and the Today Show folks were very excited about it. Good luck finding anything about it at the Today Show website! I should keep a pencil and paper handy so I can take notes while watching tv. Oh man, I'm turning into my mil.
Forgetfully yours,
Judy
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Google is our friend...

I found a product called the "Tween Time Instant Haircolor Touch-Up Stick". It is by Roux and available on Amazon in a variety of delightfully un-gray colors for $6.95.

I have found that most links folks post on TOTV lately, just redirect back to the thread. So just go to www.amazon.com and seach on "tween time."

Kate

PS - due to our upcoming move (yeah) I have to go nearly 8 weeks - i'm gonna but me some of this stuff and see if it works.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Google is our friend...

I found a product called the "Tween Time Instant Haircolor Touch-Up Stick". It is by Roux and available on Amazon in a variety of delightfully un-gray colors for $6.95.

I have found that most links folks post on TOTV lately, just redirect back to the thread. So just go to www.amazon.com and seach on "tween time."

Kate

PS - due to our upcoming move (yeah) I have to go nearly 8 weeks - i'm gonna but me some of this stuff and see if it works.
GULP - the shipping is almost as much as the stick... maybe I'll try to find it locally.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.