Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks Barefoot - I should have known by your user name you would know one.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Platinum member
Default Thanks, Boomer

for the info you provided on Erma Bombeck. It's always interesting to hear about first-hand experiences. I have all the books she wrote and still read them. I'm just not allowed to read them in bed because my giggling creates a disturbance and interferes with hubby's TV watching. I just go in the other room...my cat doesn't care.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
for the info you provided on Erma Bombeck. It's always interesting to hear about first-hand experiences. I have all the books she wrote and still read them. I'm just not allowed to read them in bed because my giggling creates a disturbance and interferes with hubby's TV watching. I just go in the other room...my cat doesn't care.
Proof that cats are sisters of the heart .... (even if they used to be boy kitties)
Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default Of Oprah and Snake Oil

Just now, when I should have been doing something useful, I got caught up in reading stuff online. (That never happens to any of you does it?)

And I came across this article from Newsweek. It takes a little while to read it. It's a long one. But I found it interesting. It hits Oprah's effect pretty hard. Not too kind. It covers how she has covered hormones and one-hour facelifts and sending energy out into the universe and all that medical and quasi-medical stuff of which the Oprah Hour is so often made. (I still like to watch her sometimes though.)

Interesting reading I thought. So I am passing it along here in the "Girl Talk" thread, in case any of you are goofing off and reading stuff online when you should be cooking an elaborate supper or making a dress out of the draperies or whatever.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/200025/page/1

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-09-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Boomer,

We subscribe to Newsweek. I saw the cover - but have not read the article. I have to confess that my first thought was how beautiful she looked - so maybe there is truth to her "remedies."

BTW you are far from the only one who gets distracted online. I behave better in the nice weather, but in the winter I hunker down with hot tea, red wine, a good book and a laptop to snuggle with.

Thank goodness I am in TV!

k
Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Boomer;208318]Just now, when I should have been doing something useful, I got caught up in reading stuff online. (That never happens to any of you does it?)
And I came across this article from Newsweek. It takes a little while to read it. It's a long one. But I found it interesting. It hits Oprah's effect pretty hard. Not too kind. It covers how she has covered hormones and one-hour facelifts and sending energy out into the universe and all that medical and quasi-medical stuff of which the Oprah Hour is so often made. http://www.newsweek.com/id/200025/page/1

I read a summary of that article about Oprah in the local newspaper and found it extremely interesting. There are many people that think if they see something on Oprah that it is gospel. I have been guilty myself of running to the store for the newest "Oprah recommended" product.

Supposedly Suzanne Sommers is a close friend of Oprah and SS scorns the medical profession. SS gets hormone injections in her vagina daily (ouch) plus taking hundred of vitamin pills every day. Wowser. And the article said Oprah was planning to do the same thing.

Conn .. I hope you enjoy Timmy's pedicures. He gives a lovely leg massage. I don't use him for my nails, though, I go to Nails and Beyond for my Pink and Whites.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Soaring Parsley

Barefoot,

Suzanne Sommers is over the top I would say. I think she is 62. But lots of 62 year-old women look just fine without all that stuff she does. Hormones are one thing. Been around for years. In and out of controversy. But all that extreme she goes to. Yikes!!

The article also talks about Dr. Chistiane Northrop. I actually like her books. But I did not know until I read this article that she has some kind of tarot cards for diagnosis. Her own it says, but still. Geez. That would freak me out a little if the doc whipped out tarot cards. Maybe it will catch on though. I wonder if my insurance would cover that.

And I wonder if Oprah will do a show about the article. Or maybe she will just buy Newsweek and fire the writer.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-09-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Soaring Parsley
Default Chick Flick Alert

I just watched "Last Chance Harvey" on Direct TV. It is a chick flick with Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. It's about romance that comes along later in life. It is just a nice little movie. Not the stuff of big box office. Just a nice little movie. You girls might like it, too.

(Oh, and btw, most men will not like this movie. Nobody gets "blowed up real good" and no women git nekkid and nobody farts or burps real loud.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-15-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Dancing Thyme

Boomer, sounds like its past your bedtime.. Remember your curfew for posting?? (farts & burps, reallllyyyy??)

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Boomer, sounds like its past your bedtime.. Remember your curfew for posting?? (farts & burps, reallllyyyy??)
Ohhhh Kathie, thank you so very much for the reminder. You are right. I must never type late at night. Reeeeeeallyyyyy is right. Now that you mention it, I do recall writing an entire dissertation on the subject late one night. And sometimes I do those awful confessions when I get too sleepy.

Oh my! The midnight hour is fast approaching.

Goodnight.
Boomer
Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I just watched "Last Chance Harvey" on Direct TV. It is a chick flick with Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. It's about romance that comes along later in life. It is just a nice little movie. Not the stuff of big box office. Just a nice little movie. You girls might like it, too.
(Oh, and btw, most men will not like this movie. Nobody gets "blowed up real good" and no women git nekkid and nobody farts or burps real loud.)
I also enjoyed "Last Chance Harvey". It is a nice, pleasant "feel good" movie. I don't go to movies any more with disasters, violence, blow-ups, wars, etc.

This means that on date night, Fireboy and I go to a movie theatre and see different movies. Being a Fire Captain, he loves action movies with lots of explosions. I see a chick flick which bores him insenseless. We meet after the movie and we're both satisfied. Works for us!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post

This means that on date night, Fireboy and I go to a movie theatre and see different movies. Being a Fire Captain, he loves action movies with lots of explosions. ...............
Oh Barefoot, how well I know just what you mean about Captain Fireboy and those action movies. And like you, I do not like those testosterone-driven flicks. Mr. Boomer loves them. He was a Green Beret.

Boomer
Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I thought I'd start a thread so we can talk about girly stuff like self esteem, sushi, pedicures, sex after 50, etc, and the guys can't hear us. And we can go off topic as often as we want.

Guys, don't read this, it is for girls only. Handie, this includes you!!

BBB, Nonie and Donna: I just know you've got some stuff to say!!
Did the girls need this or what? Almost 30,000 views! What a great idea!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by carm310 View Post
Did the girls need this or what? Almost 30,000 views! What a great idea!
Hi carm,

Yes it is fun. Started more than 16 months ago and still moving right along. In and out of topics. All over the place. And nobody ever gets confused. Women can follow it perfectly. Just like those real life conversations women have. You will like it here.

And nobody has ever tried to make us all line up and stick to just one topic. And I cannot imagine that ever happening.

I am so very, very, ever so very sure that men never ever read this thing called "Girl Talk."

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-16-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

I love anything with Emma Thompson - she is one of my favorite actors.

Carm this is a great group - we laugh and cry together.

Boomer, I suspect the population that is not female trolls here because they think we may chat about what my friend Nancy calls "Nookie".

k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.