Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Hi Kate, it is such a good thing that we women are far too genteel to ever talk about farts.

And about those dogs, a vet once told me that retriever types are especially prone to being gassy. I had a dog who was that way. Her mama was a Golden although my dog Mandy was solid black. One of the most memorable dogs of my life.

Now that I have developed a tenuous relationship with Photobucket, maybe I will post a picture sometime of my dog I have now. Annie. Named that because she was an orphan who showed up at the door of our screened porch at our last house. She just looked in that screen door. Right at me.

I was wallowing around in a chaise lounge reading a book when her little face appeared. She was only a few months old. Still had some baby teeth so the vet knew approximate age. That was more than 15 years ago. She is a beauty. Aren't they all. Her breed? I call her breed "Nature's Finest Genetic Engineering."

Hey, Whalen, I just saw that New York thing. I really need to go there again. It has been too many years. I always wanted to go sometime and just be a theater glutton. Go from one play to the next. Fellow boomer Dolly Parton now has "9 to 5" there as a musical I see. Talk about a woman's show huh. I still remember that movie and I still laugh about it. In fact, I should track it down on DVD.

I give Dolly a lot of credit. I think she is a genius.

One of my favorite things I ever heard her say was when she was still carrying weight. Before she was so tiny like she is now. You know how there is always that whole thing about deep-seated reasons for overeating. Rotten childhood. Bad relationships. All the stuff we always hear.

Dolly had commented about how she dressed. Said she realized that her clothes made her look like she was trying to stuff 10 pounds of potatoes into a 5 pound sack.

And then Dolly said, "I don't eat too much because my mama smacked me. I eat too much because I am a damned hawg."

I just love it when a woman shoots straight.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-17-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Veteran member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Boomer,

The pottery (and the room) are beautiful. I have never heard that spider term before - but I'll bet you are spot on about the "artsy fartsy" theory. And we did have a dog we used to blame flatulence on - of course sometimes it really was her. We called her "Gassie Cassie." Cassie was a golden retriever.

I think maybe you might wish to expand the scope of your study. It is related (in a way) to farts. When I started my first job after college, we had a cart that stopped at each mail station for us to get coffee or tea in the morning. About 30 minutes after the cart departed, I was amazed to see all the men (Wall Street Journals tucked under their arms) head to the Men's Room. Why is it, that men need to have a good sit down with a periodical before they are capable of producing a (to use a "guy" term) dump?
Kate,
I really laughed out loud.
Worked with an attorney a while back and every morning about 10am he would leave his office, and as he walked dorn the hall he would smack his copy of the WSJ against the side of knee to give all fair warning:
Jim's on his way to the John.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Soaring Parsley

Kate & Whalen,

I will just bet that you two know as well as I do exactly where to place something in your house when you have been trying and trying to get the man in your life to read it.

You know, do you think we should be sure to remember these discussions for when we are invited to Buckingham Palace?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-17-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Veteran member
Talking Golf

Boomer,
Saw your post on another thread about golf etiquette and your lack of prowess on the course.
Well as to etiquette I know nothing but as to ability take heart.
I live across the street from the 9th hole of Kilimanjaro, an exexutive course, and let me tell you after watching some of the play there it has encouraged me, me the Brooklyn girl, to take lessons. These golfers are sooo bad, Kate no offence apparently you are a real golfer, I figure if they can play I'll give it a try.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Soaring Parsley

Hey Whalen,

I have got to stop logging on here after 11. I end up seeing something and I pick up on it and next thing you know it is midnight or even later. If I am not careful, I could end up turning my diurnal self into a nocturnal type. Then who knows what I could end up posting in the wee hours and then I would have to be banned.........Ohhhhhhhh, somebody, pleeeeeeeeese.

About those golf lessons. Me, too. I am awful. But there is something about the infernal game that attracts me. I think it is the pretty places. And the lunch and drinks after. Oh who am I kidding. I know for sure it is the pretty places and the lunch and drinks after.

I am just going to have to accept who I am at this point in life. I used to whine around here all the time about how even my very best friend in high school would never pick me for her team in gym class. There I would be. Left standing on that line in the gym. Standing there. All alone. Wearing that ugly gymsuit. Standing there. Just like the cheese in "The Farmer in the Dell." (Whoops. I digress. Or was that a flashback?) Anyway, we are still friends, but I do bring up the issue from time to time. In fact, I made her take golf lessons with me. HAH! Golf -- the great leveler.

I always have big plans though. I can pretend that someday I will be respectable at golf. But who am I kidding. Like just this week I decided it was back to the virtuous dinners around this place. I fixed salmon twice. But each time I got out the Hellmann's Real Mayo, spooned out a couple of big dollops into a bowl, added some of that creamy horseradish and some fresh dill. Now, I know that smearing that glorious Hellmann's concoction all over that fish may have canceled out my good intentions. But hey. I think I will count it as a wash. I have to keep up the good attitude. Just like with golf.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-17-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
got out the Hellmann's Real Mayo, spooned out a couple of big dollops into a bowl, added some of that creamy horseradish and some fresh dill. Now, I know that smearing that glorious Hellmann's concoction all over that fish may have canceled out my good intentions.
Boomer
Actually, Boomer, that is a great idea. I'm trying to eat fish but I don't like the taste. It never occured to me to smear it with Hellmans. May not be as healthy, but it sounds like a wining combination!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
Boomer,
Saw your post on another thread about golf etiquette and your lack of prowess on the course.
Well as to etiquette I know nothing but as to ability take heart.
I live across the street from the 9th hole of Kilimanjaro, an exexutive course, and let me tell you after watching some of the play there it has encouraged me, me the Brooklyn girl, to take lessons. These golfers are sooo bad, Kate no offence apparently you are a real golfer, I figure if they can play I'll give it a try.
Whalen,

No offense taken - but Kilimanjaro is not an executive. It is one of the 3 courses that make up the Havana Championship course. And Kilimanjaro is the toughest of the 3. That 9th hole is REALLLLLLLYYYYYYY intimidating - very little room for error.

I would love to play with you when you get started - we would have a great time.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Whalen,

I would love to play with you when you get started - we would have a great time.
I'm hoping Whalen will take some golf lessons with me when I arrive. I'm a total sports nerd.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 PM

OK, girls, change of topic!
I'm here now and I got up this morning needing a haircut. Yesterday seemed ok but it happened overnight! Does that ever happen to anybody else?
Anyway, I need a good hairdresser fast. I'll also need color and hilites soon, so I'd like to get established with one good person. Any suggestions?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LELANDJANE View Post
OK, girls, change of topic!
I'm here now and I got up this morning needing a haircut. Yesterday seemed ok but it happened overnight! Does that ever happen to anybody else?
Anyway, I need a good hairdresser fast. I'll also need color and hilites soon, so I'd like to get established with one good person. Any suggestions?
Yes, the haircut thing is weird when it happens overnight. I've noticed the same thing about pedicures and fills for my nails.

LLJ, I have used several beauticians in TV, but I'm still looking for that one person that can rock my world. I'll be interested to hear the suggestions.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Sage

Bare,

your hair is absolutely beautiful. You dont know frustration until you have naturally frizzy hair like mine! No amount of the most expensive conditioners or shampoos make any difference at all! So when you find that special beautician, please please let me know. In the meantime Ill suffer in silence and keep a paper bag over my head!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Nonie,

Shame on you - you look beautiful.

Ladies,

I go to Helen at Tuscany in LSL. By far not the cheapest option, but I have hard to cut hair and need color - so I am sold. My hair is thick and curly, my friend Nancy's is straighter and fine - and she does a fabulous job with both of us.

k
Old 07-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=katezbox;215576]

Nonie, Shame on you - you look beautiful.

Ladies, I go to Helen at Tuscany in LSL. By far not the cheapest option, but I have hard to cut hair and need color - so I am sold. My hair is thick and curly, my friend Nancy's is straighter and fine - and she does a fabulous job with both of us. [ /QUOTE]

Nonie always looks terrific! But for some unexplained reason, she doesn't like her hair. Oh well, we all have body bits we'd like to shed I'm sure.

Kate, I thought that Helen at Tuscany wasn't accepting new clients. Am I wrong about that?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

Nonie, I am envious of your thick head of hair! Mine has always been baby fine and I hate it. Lies flat on my head with no body whatsoever.

I can relate to the frizz though. I have noticed lately that the few hairs I do have are now starting to frizz too...What's up with that!?! Oh well, a little frizz might give my hair some body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
You dont know frustration until you have naturally frizzy hair like mine
Old 07-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettiboop View Post
Nonie, I am envious of your thick head of hair! Mine has always been baby fine and I hate it. Lies flat on my head with no body whatsoever.

I can relate to the frizz though. I have noticed lately that the few hairs I do have are now starting to frizz too...What's up with that!?! Oh well, a little frizz might give my hair some body.
Thats so nice of you all but I kid you not, It is just a thin mass of frizz now. That avatar was 9 years ago when there was a little bit of thickness.Thats why I wear it pulled up all the time.

Thankyou for the suggestion of Helen at Tuscany's, I may give her a shot next time Im down.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.