Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Hi Bare,

I had heard the same rumor about Helen - but give her a try. Feel free to use me as a referral. I was referred by a friend and maybe that is why I got in???
Old 07-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hi LELANDJANE. I don't know about hairdressers in TV, but I just wanted to say that yes, it does happen overnight. And it always seems like it happens when you were planning to go somewhere the next day where you wanted your hair to look decent and then you wake up with the real roots showing and with your hair about an inch or two longer than when you went to bed. I do not get it either.

Barefoot, I know what you mean about fish. I love crab and shrimp and grouper is OK. Salmon for a little bit. But I cannot say there is any regular fish that truly floats my boat. And so I slather those filets with something like that Hellmann's and creamy horseradish and fresh dill thing. You can also leave out the fresh dill and just add a little ketchup to the Hellmann's and the horseradish stuff. That comes out kind of like that sauce they served with the bloomin' onion in some restaurant -- I cannot remember which one right now. It has been a while since I have had a bloomin' onion. That sauce is really good on crabcakes.

Today I got a little too carried away with my virtuous eating mode and tried to make a recipe that I saw in "Real Simple" magazine. It was for vegeburgers. It was one of the most disgusting things I have ever made. The basic ingredient was lentils and then it had couscous and some onion and carrots and an egg and oh I do not know why I am even talking about it. It was gross. Lentils are weird and their texture is weird. Or at least I think so. They had to go through the food processor which made them even weirder. It was a lot of work and Annie my dog got most of mine.

When I want to lay off meat for a couple of days, I often make beans and brown rice. I do not bother with the routine with the dried beans. I just use cans of beans, usually red ones. And then I top them with sour cream and chopped green onions. Mr. B. hits them hard with a hot sauce from his collection. I cannot do hot sauce.

Well, here I am, going on and on, trying to be such a Helpful Henrietta, acting like I know what I am talking about, when you all probably can tell that I really wolf down cheeseburgers whenever I get the chance.

But back to that sour cream for the beans and rice. I prefer Daisy brand sour cream. And my mayo has to be Hellmann's. I figure if I am going to go off the deep end, I might as well do it the way I want to.

Anyway, Barefoot, just a spoonful of Hellmann's helps the fish go down -- in the most delightful waaaaaay. (You have to sing that last part.)

Boomer Poppins

Last edited by Boomer; 07-20-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Today I got a little too carried away with my virtuous eating mode and tried to make a recipe that I saw in "Real Simple" magazine.

Boomer Poppins
Ms Boomer

What do you expect from a magazine that doesn't know an adverb from an adjective???

On the other hand I LOVE lentils. Jim makes the most wonderful Red Lentil soup - the Turkish thing again. I get a new son-in-law and a whole new world of foods....

k

PS - Hate Mayo - may be the only high calorie food I dislike... but I have a lot of friends who feel the way you and Bare do about fish, and would probably like your horesradish concoction... kind of like an upgraded tartar sauce...
Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Soaring Parsley

Kate, I have had lentil soup that is good. But promise me that you will never, ever, ever put a bunch of canned lentils into a food processor, turn them into some kind of hideous mush, add a few ingredients, and then make the mess into patties, and put them on hamburger buns and try to pretend that you are eating something that is good. All the mayo in the refrigerator could not save those things. Annie was not too thrilled either. You are right. I should have known.

And Hi, Bettiboop, I saw what you said about not liking how your hair looks. I don't know if you have tried color, but sometimes a good colorist can really help. Especially with highlights that add dimension. There are cutting techniques that good hairdressers know that can add volume to fine hair. And there are also the thickening sprays. Bumble and Bumble makes a really good one. There are lots of great products out there now that add lift. Fine hair is not such a bad thing. The hair may be fine but there can be lots of them. It is just that the hair is usually very soft when it is fine and it wants to lay flat.

I always thought my hair looked kind of flat until I found the right hairdresser. Sometimes she uses these weird scissors that have teeth and look like she is about to cut off all my hair. But the teeth are varying lengths and so you end up with all sorts of layers that kind of stack up. She comes at me with a razor sometimes, too. -- And sometimes she is even trying to cut my hair with it.

The hair thing can become such an issue for us women. In fact I think it was the first topic of discussion when the "Girl Talk" thread started over a year ago. It always comes up eventually when women talk. We are always in search of the perfect hair and we never seem to like our own. Oh well.

But Bettiboop, you are probably just being too hard on yourself. Your hair looks so cute in your avatar picture. (btw, Bettiboop is one of my favorite characters)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-21-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 PM

I called today to Tuscany and got an appt. with Helen for Thursday at 1:00.
I'll let you all know!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

LOL Boomer, if only my hair was that cute!
Lately I've been tempted to just shave my head...I kinda like the thought of just needing a washcloth to do my hair.

Quote:
But Bettiboop, you are probably just being too hard on yourself. Your hair looks so cute in your avatar picture. (btw, Bettiboop is one of my favorite characters)

Boomer
Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LELANDJANE View Post
I'll let you all know!!!
Good luck Jane. She is a really nice person as well as a great hairdresser.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Sage

My frizz is getting frizzier by the minute. With this wet and humid summer I just want to put a bag over my head and cut a hole so I can breathe!

Does anyone know of a de-frizzing product on the market that I can try?

I have never known the joy of silky smooth hair no matter what I have used on it. I would like to know what that feels like before I go to meet my maker.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
I called today to Tuscany and got an appt. with Helen for Thursday at 1:00. I'll let you all know!!!
Yes, LLJ, please let us know how Helen works out for you. I'm planning to use Kate's suggestion when I arrive in October. Only three more months until I'm through my Canadian exile and I can return to The Bubble.

Boomer, now I'm out hunting for Bumble and Bumble. I always take your suggestions to heart. I need something for my lifeless, fine hair. I find that if I don't wash my hair for a month, it has lots of body. But now that I've lost all my friends, I need to find a more appealing solution.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
My frizz is getting frizzier by the minute. With this wet and humid summer I just want to put a bag over my head and cut a hole so I can breathe!

Does anyone know of a de-frizzing product on the market that I can try?

I have never known the joy of silky smooth hair no matter what I have used on it. I would like to know what that feels like before I go to meet my maker.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
Nonie,

I have a lot of hair... lots and lots and lots of it. To call it curly is being kind. What it really is is frizzy (with some wave). I have found two products that really help.

1. In place of conditioner every other time I shampoo, I use Moroccan Oil masque.

2. Before I dry my hair I use Keune Straight & Style. They carry the Keune line at Tuscany.

I only wash my hair about twice/week and blow it dry when it is damp. Later that day or the next day I use a professional-quality flat iron. The dept. store irons do not get hot enough.

My hair shines - it doesn't frizz much - even in TV in July!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Sage
Wink I found it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Yes, LLJ, please let us know how Helen works out for you. I'm planning to use Kate's suggestion when I arrive in October. Only three more months until I'm through my Canadian exile and I can return to The Bubble.

Boomer, now I'm out hunting for Bumble and Bumble. I always take your suggestions to heart. I need something for my lifeless, fine hair. I find that if I don't wash my hair for a month, it has lots of body. But now that I've lost all my friends, I need to find a more appealing solution.
Bare... I found one Bumble but can't locate the other one! Big kiss to you darlin'!

BOOMER!!!!!! What makes you think that Girl Talk is finished??? Are we ever really finished talking? I think not!
Old 08-01-2009, 11:13 PM
Soaring Parsley

Girls!

How lovely to see this thread reappear!

I just returned from my class reunion.

I will not tell you which one!

Too much wine!

Too much fun!

I will not post further tonight!

I have said quite enough I think.

And don't you just love this thread.

Thank you, Barefoot, for starting it all those many, many moons ago.

Boomer (er, did I make any typos???)
Old 08-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Girls!

How lovely to see this thread reappear! And don't you just love this thread.
Thank you, Barefoot, for starting it all those many, many moons ago.

Boomer (er, did I make any typos???)
You are welcome Boomer. I just love this thread, yes I do.

Last night I was talking to friends about eating fish. And I was telling them how this girl that I know, Boomer, says that mayo and horseradish and dill hide the fishy taste.

It wasn't until later I realized that I really don't know Boomer at all, or Kate, or LL Jane, or lots of people.

But I sure feel that I actually do know you all, and that you're all my friends.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Barefoot.

You are so right as usual.

This is a magnificent thread. One of the reasons is that there is no sniping or cutting or malicious intent.....JUST like you. You were one of the people I didn't know in person a little more than a year ago and you are just as you appear in this thread; nice and kind and funny and smart.

It was a very good idea to start this thread.

Psst. Do you think Boomer had a headache after that reunion?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I'll let you all know!!!
Soooooo,Lelandjane, what happened with the haircut?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.