Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

My other thing I am doing is not eating after dinner. Staying away from the kitchen. Boomer
Yeah, right Boomer, easy for you to say. Staying away from the kitchen after dinner. If I could master this one "issue", not eating after dinner, I would be a happy camper. BUT, there are things in the kitchen constantly calling my name. Cookies and icecream and goodies. I can hear you saying ... Don't buy them and bring them home. I don't! Fireboy is the culprit. I hide them from myself, but of course I know all the hiding places! And then they call out my name. Sometimes at 3 AM they wake me up.

I'm looking for a chain and padlock for the fridge.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Yeah, right Boomer, easy for you to say. Staying away from the kitchen after dinner. If I could master this one "issue", not eating after dinner, I would be a happy camper. BUT, there are things in the kitchen constantly calling my name. Cookies and icecream and goodies. I can hear you saying ... Don't buy them and bring them home. I don't! Fireboy is the culprit. I hide them from myself, but of course I know all the hiding places! And then they call out my name. Sometimes at 3 AM they wake me up.

I'm looking for a chain and padlock for the fridge.
Oh Barefoot,

I will not say that. I know exactly what you mean. Today, Mr. Boomer and I were at the grocery together. I had run into someone I know and while we were catching up, Mr. B. escaped and went off by himself and brought back Coke and cookies, too. I told him that he had to hide the cookies from me, but that we had to put the Coke back. I cannot resist Coke if it is in the house. It can be down in the basement and I will go get it. Pepsi? Nope. Coke? Getoutamyway! Sooooo, no Coke in the house. Pepsi could be here for months on end and I would not care.

It is so difficult sometimes to be at the store with a husband. Grocery stores -- they get away and buy bad stuff.

And then there is when you end up in Home Depot. Mr. Boomer always escapes in Home Depot, too, and goes off to look longingly at expensive power tools. (I cannot for the life of me figure out which one he could possibly NOT own.) Sometimes I cannot find him in Home Depot. It is a big place. Endlessly fascinating to Mr. B. Sometimes, when I cannot find him, and I just want to leave Home Depot, I make obscene phone calls to him on his cell. And then he shows up. Works like a charm.

Whoops! Looks like it is after midnight.

Goodnight.

Boomer
Old 08-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Sage
Arrow Diet Foods and Home Depot!

Two things that are deeply coveted in this house. Mythical places, faraway dreams. I buy diet foods and watch them as they go bad in the fridge and vetman buys power tools and watches the boxes pile up in the garage. Some never opened. Yes, the intent is there, but our carry through, does not carry through.

Ha! My dad was in construction and I remember the first time he shook vetman's hand, he said to me later... "Never worked a hard days labor in his life!" Hahaha! Well, being a veterinarian is no walk in the park, but I knew what my Dad meant.

I'm seriously considering Nutrisystems again! Hey, Cash for Chunkers would be great! Let's get that ball rolling. (Oh Lordy! Now I'm thinking about meatballs! While vetman, fast asleep, is probably dreaming of an unopened power washer!)
Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 AM

Chelsea, someone has two months of Nutrisystem for sale in today's Daily Sun. I can relate to that person. Tried that program last year and lost all hope in life! The food's in a plastic bag out of sight (and usually out of mind).
I had success with a bariatric dr back in Alabama. Is there one in this area? What I liked best, of course, is that I dropped the weight quickly.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I met Nora Ephron once - she is an amazing person. Saw Julia and Julie this weekend. Loved it - could watch it again. Meryl Streep was soooo Julia and the actress who plays Julie - Amy??? was great too.
jojo, I was so caught up in the my butterball angst and my power tool plots last night that I missed this post of yours. You met Nora Ephron! If ever I meet you, please expect to be quizzed at great length about every aspect of your meeting with Nora Ephron, every nuance, every word. Oh my! I think Nora Ephron is a genius with dialogue and timing. I just looked her up and found that she just turned 68. Somewhat older than I am, but I feel like she has been around during all my formative adult years. I guess she has.

Actually, I did something that I never do. I went to see "Julie and Julia" the day it opened. I just had to see it. No time to line up a girl thing. I wanted to see it NOW.

And so on Friday night, Mr. Boomer went with me to the movie that I figured would be a chick flick. I could see though that Mr. Boomer had hope in his eyes. He said to me twice on the way there, "Julia Child was a spy wasn't she?"

Actually, it turned out that Mr. B liked it, too. (It might have been because of all that really fattening food in it.) But he had to admit that he liked it. Well.....he said it was OK. Pretty good. Some such thing.

"Julie and Julia" is one movie that I will go to see again. (I rarely do that.) But for this one, I will. For me, it is so much about the dialogue. Nora Ephron comes up with the best scripts, full of wonderful, funny lines. (That is also why I can watch "The Golden Girls" repeatedly. Whoever wrote those scripts was also exceptional with dialogue. I even liked "The Golden Girls" back when they seemed so ancient to me. Geez! What happened to that?)

So anyway, back to those diet tips confessions. I have got to get rid of last winter's 10 pounds. I cannot do that every time winter comes rolling around. (Yet another reason to winter in Florida.) And I need to lose more than just that 10. It is not like I was a stick to start with. What is it they say? "Built for comfort not for speed."

A year ago almost, in that thread about that dress, I finally showed you my picture, which I later took out when I got all bashful. And then in May of this year, I confessed about how I needed to fit into that dress again to do a reading at another niece's wedding. (-- other side of the family so I could wear the same dress. The dress was turning into the uniform of the reading aunt maybe.) Well, I did not report that I actually managed to get into that dress again, but I had to wonder if I looked like a sausage in its casing. (That woman who invented Spanx deserves every million she made though.)

Well, anyway, two pounds gone from that V8 thing I told you about last night. V8 and colorful food. I sure miss that white food. That is why I had to indulge in that Graeter's vanilla ice cream yesterday. But hey, hot fudge is a color isn't it?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-10-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
Hey, Cash for Chunkers would be great! Let's get that ball rolling.
LMAO...I'd join that club! If I could get cash for my "chunks" I could retire sooner!

I was hoping that retiring to TV would help my "chunkiness" - staying so active and all.

On our recent visit there we were VERY active all day long, but now that I think about it a lot of the activity was walking from restaurant to restaurant with stop at ice cream place at end of the day. LOL
Old 08-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
I'm seriously considering Nutrisystems again! Hey, Cash for Chunkers would be great! Let's get that ball rolling. (Oh Lordy! Now I'm thinking about meatballs......................!
Ohhhhhhh, Chelsea, you said meatballs. When you said meatballs, I started thinking about how grouchy I feel right now and how I want spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. With cheese. Lots of cheese. And maybe garlic bread. Yeah, that's it. I do not want this boring chicken and that colorful salad and this blasted V8.

What was it they used to say about this stuff? "It sure doesn't taste like tomato juice"?????? (I think that was their ad.) And then somebody else would say, "Of course not, it tastes like V8."

Welllllll, that just makes me want to say, "Yeah. So? Is that supposed to be a good thing?"

And now, that jingle or ad or whatever is stuck in my head. (And I hope that you can all hear me saying that ad in my snippiest, most mocking tone. I am also making faces. I am grouchy. Grouchy. Grouchy.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-10-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,502 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I kinda like V8 Boom. I think because it is so SALTY. I drink a lot of it when I am trying to take off weight. I also have eaten lots of those baby oranges called Clementines, so many I got an acid sore in my mouth.

I am grouchy too. I need a donut fix.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

I do not want this boring chicken and that colorful salad and this blasted V8.
What was it they used to say about this stuff? "It sure doesn't taste like tomato juice"?????? (I think that was their ad.) And then somebody else would say, "Of course not, it tastes like V8." Welllllll, that just makes me want to say, "Yeah. So? Is that supposed to be a good thing?"
Boomer
Boomer, blasted V8? And I was just going to run out and buy a carton of it. I guess I'll wait for a few days and see how much grouchier you get!

Speaking of weight issues ... Have you seen Keedy's latest comment about Hilary Clinton putting on weight? Grrrrr.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Sage

hmmmmmm! I was totally glued to that infommercial last night on TV about that body shaper thing that takes 2 sizes off of you??? For 39.99 you can be two sizes smaller. I cant remember the name of it but it started with a "K"

I absolutely hated girdles in our girdle days and couldnt stand the confinement. It has been wonderful letting everything hang out all these years. Ahhh! total bodily freedom except for bras which I would love to burn!

Well, so Im wondering has any body tried a body shaper and are they and are they tight and uncomfortable? Im such a sucker for anything that they say will make you look sliimmer instantly. Right now Im taking a colon cleanse and Acai Berry supplement like Rachel Ray did ,and I havant noticed one bit of difference., except Im running to the ladies room constantly!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Boomer,
Speaking of weight issues ... Have you seen Keedy's latest comment about Hilary Clinton putting on weight? Grrrrr.
Agree Bare...the comment was totally irrelevant and would never have been made about a man.

I do not generally read the political forum and have even used the TOTV "ignore" feature to filter out posts from one particular member who often writes in there.

Sadly, it seems that almost half of the posts on TOTV these days relate to Politics and tend towards partisan bickering rather than solutions. I enjoy reading the stories on TOTV of people selling houses, finding TV, human interest, fun jokes, good/bad contractors and restaurants, mulling the future of TV, etc. There's enough hard news and analysis on television, newspapers, and the internet.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Agree Bare...the comment was totally irrelevant and would never have been made about a man.

I do not generally read the political forum and have even used the TOTV "ignore" feature to filter out posts from one particular member who often writes in there.

Sadly, it seems that almost half of the posts on TOTV these days relate to Politics and tend towards partisan bickering rather than solutions. I enjoy reading the stories on TOTV of people selling houses, finding TV, human interest, fun jokes, good/bad contractors and restaurants, mulling the future of TV, etc. There's enough hard news and analysis on television, newspapers, and the internet.
As I logged into the forum just now 9 of first 10 posts were, you guessed it,
political.

I too enjoyed totv when it was about life in TV, for villagers, by villagers, and wannabees.

Where is the ignore button? Can I ignore a whole forum?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 AM

I agree with the politcal posts. Some of them are so combative-not what I need.

I enjoy totv when it is about villagers not politics.

Is there a way to filter out that forum?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Soaring Parsley
Default thanks to V'07 and also of V8

'07!

I did not know about such a filter. I should have known that you would know what to do.

I look sometimes. And then sometimes I get caught up in my whole moderate thing, and next thing I know I am writing And what is the point?

And '07, about that other stuff you said about what you like here on TOTV, well I would be holding up a bunch of those little "I agree" signs, but I can't find any. They must be using all of them over in the political forum.

So there is a filter that will keep me from looking. I did not know that.............................

And Barefoot, do not give up quite yet on the V8. I have not given up.

And GG, you're right. It does not taste really so bad. I was just grouchy. But I got through it and it was boring chicken and colorful salad for supper. I know what you mean about salt. It can be one of my favorite food groups. Next to fat and sugar.

The V8 I use is the low-sodium version. It has 140 mg per serving while the regular has 480 mg. Both are 50 calories. Sodium at less than 2400 mg a day is the standard. I need to stay less than that. I can really tell when I have been overdoing the sodium. A little fluid retention kicks in and really can hold the pounds on me. The Baylor study where I got this V8 thing was done I think for people with blood pressure issues and so that was why the low-sodium V8 and the DASH diet.

Geez. Please forgive me. Here I am sounding like I am turning into to one of those people who goes around giving unsolicited and righteous advice about what people should eat and must pontificate about all the food stuff we already know.

The only thing is -- those people are usually as skinny as rails and can make me feel like, not only am I so obviously a bit zaftig, but also dense. ....know the type? --those people who approach it differently than just sharing ideas about a common problem.

It is fun and encouraging to share ideas about things that might work to take off weight. But those people are different about it. And they always think they are being so subtle.

Recently I finally said to somebody who was going on and on about calories and exercise and yadda, yadda, like I am an idiot, "Yeah. I know. I have been turning into quite the little butterball since you saw me last.".............. (Like I don't know ten pounds is a size. Geez. Here I am, grouchy anyway in these first few days of trying this new thing, and then I get a not-so-subtle unsolicited sermon from a stick! And I hated when I said that because I am usually nice and one of my friends even calls me party-insurance. I hate it when I act , er grouchy.)

Thanks for listening. Seeya later. Maybe I will tell you about how I exercised today. But it will not be a sermon. Those are only available from stick-people.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-11-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Gold member

Yes, the Political forum is dominated by a relatively small number of like-minded individuals. As my wife (Kat) says, eagerly looking for the outrage of the day to start a thread and then go on and on about it, until the next outrage of the day. Sure wish there was a filter or blocker of some sort.

I keep getting suckered into looking at it!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.