Girl Talk

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
I love Heidi Klum - or at least the version depicted in the media. She has a career, a loving husband, a blended family and she seems so kind and open minded. She comes across like this in every interview...
I agree. She has some kind of inner serenity that makes her even more beautiful.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default more glasses stuff

Barefoot,

Your Heidi Klum People link changed. Links have a way of doing that, I know. But I saw the link yesterday and right in the middle of the page was a picture of somebody wearing great big sunglasses with a gradient tint. (I think that's what you call it. The glasses were huge and the tint was dark right at eye level but faded to lighter at the bottom.) I think it was Jessica Simpson. (I don't even know anymore who half the people in People are.)

Anyway, today the person wearing those sunglasses is gone from the link and the only picture with sunglasses is of a dog wearing heart-shaped sunglasses. But those are not the ones I want. I want the big sunglasses with the gradient tint.

Even though I have worn contacts since I was 16, I have worn glasses since I was 7. And I still wear glasses sometimes. I have spent a lot of years trying to find frames that work for me. I remember being crushed because my prescription was too thick for granny glasses (those really little ones) when they were in style a long time ago.

I am so glad that kids now have so many choices for frames and don't seem to mind getting glasses and might even like them. So much style now. Not just a choice of maybe two frames. Not like when I started, in second grade, wearing my cateye glasses, which perfectly set off my frizzy home perm. I was a nerd before nerd was a word.

Down deep in my soul, I have never gotten over my cateye glasses, I guess, because a few years ago I found myself looking for the perfect pair of cateye reading glasses.

And I even found a pair of little cateye reading glasses with a few rhinestones. But now I have lost a couple of rhinestones. (Who hasn't.) And those glasses were never quite right anyway. They just were not big enough and did not have nearly enough rhinestones.

And so the search continues.

Second-grade me never would have believed that the next century would find grownup retired me on a search for the perfect pair of cateye reading glasses with rhinestones. (But I will not be getting a frizzy home perm.)

Boomer

PS: Dorothy Parker was wrong. -- as all of us glasses-wearing girls know.

Last edited by Boomer; 10-12-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Barefoot,

PS: Dorothy Parker was wrong. -- as all of us glasses-wearing girls know.

Yes we do -

Nerdy Kate
Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
I loved my rimless glasses, called Silhouttes. I'm kind of amused that Sarah Palin is getting credit for these as they have been around for quite a while. I wore them before my Lasik surgery 3 years ago and it really felt and almost looked as if you were not wearing glasses at all.

I haven't read all the posts, but I had very very bad vision and they can make the lenses extremely thin on the Silhouttes, not coke bottle at all! I would highly recommend them to anyone that doesn't want to have the surgery.
I forgot all about Silhouette eyeglasses. Just looked up their website and they have a dealer close to TV. I'm going to check them out for sure. I don't want to have my eyes sliced open. So thin lenses sound good to me.

See .. the stuff you learn from Girl Talk!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Sage
Default Children

Now this is quite personal, so perhaps it isn't a good subject for discussion on a website. If no-one chooses to respond, that is fine with me.

Some of us have had children and some have chosen not to have children. Myself, I'm one of the women who decided to be child free. I'm just wondering from other women who've chosen not to bear children, how they feel now about that decision?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Julie

You know Bare, I was told that I would have difficulty conceiving prior to getting married. My husband and I discussed the options and had decided to be a childless couple and we were both perfectly fine with that choice. Six years into our relationship my breasts became unbelievably tender (I hope that is not too descriptive), but the pain was really like nothing else I had experienced. At that point I told my husband that I should probably go to the doctor to be tested.

When the nurse called to tell me the good news about me being pregnant, I cried. I know that probably sounds horrible to some people, but we had resigned ourselves to a childless life and we were both OK with that decision. In fact, adjusting to the idea of now we're going to add another person to our relationship was difficult.

Having our son was truly a miracle and probably the best thing that ever happened to our relationship. I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to become a mother and raise such a fine young man whom I am now very proud. I often question God and ask how I was so lucky to have been given my son who means the world to me.

That said, I do not make judgements of other people who made the choice to not have children. I was in their shoes at one time and believe life would have still been very sweet without children.

How do you feel about your decision to not have children? Do people ever try to make you feel as if you made the wrong choice?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post

How do you feel about your decision to not have children? Do people ever try to make you feel as if you made the wrong choice?
Julie, I'm happy that you were blessed with a son. Obviously The Universe intended that you should be a mom.

I always wished I could have lived two parallel lives. The first one child free with an interesting career. And the second, as a stay-at-home mom with six kids and a wonderful, supportive husband. Since we only get one life to live, I choose Door Number One.

I feel I made the right choice for me. Although I must confess I have a few seconds of remorse when I see a mother/daughter with a strong bond. But I also have friends who are mothers who are estranged from their daughters.
I never wanted to be a single mother. It is a hard life to work and raise kids alone. Since I ended up being married more than once, I think the childless decision was the right one for me. I would have needed a strong support system if I had children plus a career.

The reason I started this topic was that I recently had lunch with a friend who is 52. She has a daughter who is 21, in university, on drugs, and constantly demanding money from her mother, to whom she is rude and unappreciative. My friend said to me "I wish I'd never had kids". I also have friends who have daughters who adore them and I admire the wonderful relationships they create.

It got me thinking about the many choices we make during our lifetime, and how they change our lives.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:28 PM

I realize this is totally off the subject you were discussing, but I'm new to TOTV and wanted to ask if anyone knows of a salon/spa, etc. that does "permanent" makeup?? My eyebrows are so light blonde that I have to use eyebrow pencil all the time. Does anyone have any recommendations; idea of cost, etc.?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Bigelow View Post
I realize this is totally off the subject you were discussing, but I'm new to TOTV and wanted to ask if anyone knows of a salon/spa, etc. that does "permanent" makeup?? My eyebrows are so light blonde that I have to use eyebrow pencil all the time. Does anyone have any recommendations; idea of cost, etc.?
You're in luck Lynne. We don't have any topic cops in Girl Talk. You can go off subject any time at all! Rambling is encouraged!

I've never tried permanent make up, but what a great idea! I hate worrying about eye makeup, that would be a real time saver. Is it like getting a tattoo? Is it painful? I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
You're in luck Lynne. We don't have any topic cops in Girl Talk. You can go off subject any time at all! Rambling is encouraged!

I've never tried permanent make up, but what a great idea! I hate worrying about eye makeup, that would be a real time saver. Is it like getting a tattoo? Is it painful? I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Girl talk is synonymous with "rambling" isn't it? That's what makes it fun!

Lynne, I've given some thought to permanent makeup...most specifically eye liner. I've never been one to wear a lot of makeup, but do like a little bit of liner to give my eyes some definition. Now that I can't see without glasses it is near impossible to do the liner. I try to do it "blindly" and sometimes it looks fine when I put my glasses back on to look at it and other times it's like...well... I've done some research, but I really haven't seen anyone near to me that I would trust to do it. Like everything else, you definitely want a reputable person doing it. Let us know what you decide!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Sage

Bettiboop,

Would a magnifying mirror help you to put on your eyeliner with your glasses off? I dont know if your nearsighted or farsighted but I wouldnt be able to put eye makeup on without my 5X magnifying mirror!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nONIE View Post
Bettiboop,

Would a magnifying mirror help you to put on your eyeliner with your glasses off? I dont know if your nearsighted or farsighted but I wouldnt be able to put eye makeup on without my 5X magnifying mirror!
Nonie, I do have a nice magnifying makeup mirror, but i don't have much luck with it. I'm not sure why. I get it out and give it another try every now and then, but for now it is designated to the "sell or give away" pile.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I always wished I could have lived two parallel lives. The first one child free with an interesting career. And the second, as a stay-at-home mom with six kids and a wonderful, supportive husband. Since we only get one life to live, I choose Door Number One.

It got me thinking about the many choices we make during our lifetime, and how they change our lives.
Bare, Even though you say you sometimes experience remorse when you see the mothers and daughters who are in relationships with strong bonds, life does not guarantee this as your friend who wishes she’d never had kids indicated.

Your idea of living parallel lives would be an interesting option. I opted for a scaled down version of door number two. When our son was born I was lucky enough to take six months off of work. I ended up going back to work until he turned three years old when we made the executive decision for me to become a stay-at-home mother. I never regretted that choice, not even one day. Being able to connect with our son and watch him mature into a well balanced happy individual who contributes to society was invaluable.

Nevertheless, I did have one regret nagging at the core of my soul and that was not earning a college degree. In 2004 I took the bull by the horns and re-entered college. Oh it was a tough go, especially that first semester back. The hard work paid off June 2008 when I graduated from college the same weekend as our son graduated from high school.

The majority of people, including my husband, are eager to begin their lives in retirement when making their move to TV. Color me crazy for looking forward to finding employment once we get settled in. I haven’t worked at a paying job for more than 17 years and am eager to have a work schedule. Yes I know whatever job I have will be a job and not necessarily a “career” so to speak. Who knows, I may end up working for a year or so then decide that I too am ready to “retire.”

I try not to think about all the choices I've made throughout my life and the "what ifs" it taxes my brain beyond belief. I'm a pretty simple person who wants to live a simple life. Remember that song by James Taylor called "Secret O' Life?" The first line: The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time resonates within me. Hmm, that gets me thinking (oh no my poor brain), I think I'm gonna change my signature to that first line in JT's song.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Julie,

While you are still in Pleasanton, see if you can get a job doing anything for that big software company there. You know the one I mean - it now has a different name because it was acquired by a bigger software company on the other side of SF.

When you are ready to move to TV, then start looking for jfor a transfer to a position that let you work from home. You could even go to their Orlando office (or Tampa office) occasionally.

Cryptic Kate
Old 10-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Sage

I love hearing women's life stories. Julie, thanks for giving us a glimpse into your life. Congratulations on graduating from college, well done!

I worked for 40 years; the first 20 as an IBM manager and the last 20 as a real estate broker. I loved working, but I enjoy being retired even more. I'm one of those people who slid seamlessly into retirement and never looked back.

Julie, you are obviously younger (like our Kate) and eager to work at something that you find fulfilling. Good for you. We'll look forward to hearing updates!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.