Going gray

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2018, 12:25 AM

Ooops deleted.....

Last edited by Villagevip; 06-25-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:20 AM

I had then try to lift the color at a salon when I started to go gray and was tied of the gray and brown look. Instead I ended up widget gray and orange. Bozo the clown was not the best look. It took about 3 months to light to blond. Finally was able to cut that off and now all gray.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I have heard talk about going gray, by having hair colored somehow to hide the fact that you are growing out.
Has anyone had this done or know of a place that does it. I would think that any colorist could do it, but would prefer one with experience in this "reverse highlight" or what ever it is. Just want to see how gray I really am. It has been years since I have seen my natural color.
I have short hair and used the same hair color for years. When people started commenting that my hair was more blonde everytime they saw me, I knew it was time to grow out the gray. I went one haircut (8 weeks) and looked like a skunk. My hairdresser suggested that she do a few foils just on top to blend the blonde and gray. It didn't take long, only had to do it once, a couple more haircuts and the blonde highlights took care of my problem while it was growing out. Painless! It was the most liberating thing I have done for myself and my gray hair is attractive if I get a good haircut. Any hairdresser who does coloring should know how to do this if you explain that you just want the foils on top to camouflage the gray growing in.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
I have short hair and used the same hair color for years. When people started commenting that my hair was more blonde everytime they saw me, I knew it was time to grow out the gray. I went one haircut (8 weeks) and looked like a skunk. My hairdresser suggested that she do a few foils just on top to blend the blonde and gray. It didn't take long, only had to do it once, a couple more haircuts and the blonde highlights took care of my problem while it was growing out. Painless! It was the most liberating thing I have done for myself and my gray hair is attractive if I get a good haircut. Any hairdresser who does coloring should know how to do this if you explain that you just want the foils on top to camouflage the gray growing in.

Yes....this does work!!!
Old 06-27-2018, 01:04 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

I have been highlighting for years. But my hair grows so fast that it is costing me a fortune to keep my snow white roots covered.

But if I let my roots go longer than 4 weeks -- which is pushing it -- my hair would start to look like Friar Tuck's tonsure. (My hair is so white, if I let it grow in very far, from a distance, it looks like scalp.)

Lately, I have been having the highlights brought up lighter and lighter so we will see where that goes. I bet I will have to always have some dimension with a darker color though or my face would just fade away.

Here is an article I found which shows transitioning steps that worked.

How to Go Gray - Tips for Transitioning to Gray Hair
Old 06-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Sorry to gender crash this forum, but ladies, grey is half-stepping. White is where it's at.
White is what I am.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_8728 (2).JPG
Views:	426
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	75472  
Old 06-27-2018, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sorry. Last post didn't come up. Hmmm.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_8728 (2).JPG
Views:	426
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	75473  
Old 06-27-2018, 06:21 PM
Platinum member

Thanks, Boomer, interesting article! And pretty color, Graciegirl, lucky you! I think that I will have dark hair and gray, maybe not too pretty.

Tags
gray, highlight, reverse, prefer, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.