Going gray

Going gray

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

[QUOTE=Chi-Town;1555972]I had a friend whose hairline was receding. He said it wasn't receding, just moving down his back.

As my hair continues to thin I am going with the theory that grass can't grow on a busy path. And it seems that I am always the first to notice when it starts to rain. And since I always try to see the glass half full, a bottle of shampoo lasts practically forever, so I got that going for me.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:09 PM
Gold member

Sorry to gender crash this forum, but ladies, grey is half-stepping. White is where it's at.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I had a friend whose hairline was receding. He said it wasn't receding, just moving down his back.

Although I've let mine go gray, so far I've been lucky with the amount...and have even let it get long & bushy once in a while.

Have had more than one person say to me.... "I just love those novelty visors with bushy gray hair."

I love the look on their faces, when I take my visor off...and they see it's my own hair.

Oops, just realized this is the women's forum.

Oh well, I still think it's funny.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Sage

Before you go grey you might want to see if grey is Board approved.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Before you go grey you might want to see if grey is Board approved.
Live dangerously and do it without...ARC approval.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:25 AM

Ooops deleted.....

Last edited by Villagevip; 06-25-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:20 AM

I had then try to lift the color at a salon when I started to go gray and was tied of the gray and brown look. Instead I ended up widget gray and orange. Bozo the clown was not the best look. It took about 3 months to light to blond. Finally was able to cut that off and now all gray.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I have heard talk about going gray, by having hair colored somehow to hide the fact that you are growing out.
Has anyone had this done or know of a place that does it. I would think that any colorist could do it, but would prefer one with experience in this "reverse highlight" or what ever it is. Just want to see how gray I really am. It has been years since I have seen my natural color.
I have short hair and used the same hair color for years. When people started commenting that my hair was more blonde everytime they saw me, I knew it was time to grow out the gray. I went one haircut (8 weeks) and looked like a skunk. My hairdresser suggested that she do a few foils just on top to blend the blonde and gray. It didn't take long, only had to do it once, a couple more haircuts and the blonde highlights took care of my problem while it was growing out. Painless! It was the most liberating thing I have done for myself and my gray hair is attractive if I get a good haircut. Any hairdresser who does coloring should know how to do this if you explain that you just want the foils on top to camouflage the gray growing in.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
I have short hair and used the same hair color for years. When people started commenting that my hair was more blonde everytime they saw me, I knew it was time to grow out the gray. I went one haircut (8 weeks) and looked like a skunk. My hairdresser suggested that she do a few foils just on top to blend the blonde and gray. It didn't take long, only had to do it once, a couple more haircuts and the blonde highlights took care of my problem while it was growing out. Painless! It was the most liberating thing I have done for myself and my gray hair is attractive if I get a good haircut. Any hairdresser who does coloring should know how to do this if you explain that you just want the foils on top to camouflage the gray growing in.

Yes....this does work!!!
Old 06-27-2018, 01:04 PM
Soaring Parsley

I have been highlighting for years. But my hair grows so fast that it is costing me a fortune to keep my snow white roots covered.

But if I let my roots go longer than 4 weeks -- which is pushing it -- my hair would start to look like Friar Tuck's tonsure. (My hair is so white, if I let it grow in very far, from a distance, it looks like scalp.)

Lately, I have been having the highlights brought up lighter and lighter so we will see where that goes. I bet I will have to always have some dimension with a darker color though or my face would just fade away.

Here is an article I found which shows transitioning steps that worked.

How to Go Gray - Tips for Transitioning to Gray Hair
Closed Thread

Tags
gray, highlight, reverse, prefer, experience