Goodbye Gel Nails

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Goodbye Gel Nails

Ladies I've had a love affair with gel nails for a few years now and recently my hands and lower arms have been painful so I had the gel nails removed. What prompted me to remove them is the pain was similar but worse than an uncomfortable feeling I use to have after a gel session when the tech would break the skin. I sometimes felt a stiffness in my fingers and they would get itchy. The current tech is much gentler but when the the pain became constant I realized it may be due to the chemicals I was absorbing. It has been a few weeks and my pain is gone. I listened to my intuition and took the plunge and rescued my beautiful nails. I went through the process of elimination about what was causing the pain, arthritis, carpal tunnel, etc., and listened to my intuition and was correct. When I think about the chemicals I was absorbing I'm grateful that I don't have any lasting damage.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't have artificial nails for a number of reasons. One is.... Germs love dark, moist areas and under those nails is a good place to breed.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Location: Ft. Lauderdale - New Castle,PA - Overland Park, KS - Palm Bay, FL - Village of Charlotte

I gave up my acrylic nails last year and have not been happier. I had forgotten how beautiful my 'natural' nails are.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

Not to mention that many of these nail salons don't adhere to sanitary measures that protect you from nasty infections. One must be very trusting to go to some of them, but even high-end salons can be quietly "dirty". Be careful out there Ladies!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Unhappy Geesh =- who would ever think it was their nails??

I have never heard about this before and I didn't know the glue chemicals are absorbed by the body. I just did some research and it's true. I'm glad you found the source of your problems and all is well. You're a smart lady to figure it out.

I've had acrylic nails for many, many years and really they look so nice, I'm not ready to give them up, yet. If I do develop any pain or symptoms you describe, they'll be the first to go.

I'm stunned. Who knew?

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.