Has 2020 changed your attitude about your real hair color?

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Location: Native to West Palm Beach, FL I am renting current home, yet to decide if TV will be next move.

Natural Redhead, for whatever reason, even in my mid-late 50's absolutely NO gray hairs have shown up.... anywhere...
Old 09-02-2020, 01:24 PM

I always covered my grey with a semi- permanent color to keep it chocolate brown. I hated the stark difference as it grew it out so I had the excess color professionally removed after the salons opened back up. Now it is a honey blond because the dye still left some color but the line is not so stark. I love the change! Turns out I am going to be pretty white!
Old 09-02-2020, 02:31 PM

One of the most liberating things I have ever done! I let my hair go natural 12 years ago, it's not below my shoulders and a snowy white/silver/gray color.
During COVID I also broke the fake nail habit, over 40 years of wearing them.
Never felt better!
Old 09-02-2020, 03:05 PM

I'm doing the same! Last color was March 3. Am liking the color growing in - mostly silver, so I'm going to keep going to see what color it really turn out!
Old 09-02-2020, 06:25 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

In Nora Ephron’s book, I Feel Bad About My Neck And Other Thoughts On Being A Woman, there is a chapter titled “On Maintenance.” There are subtitles within the chapter. Half of those have to do with hair: “Hair” “Hair Dye” “Unwanted Hair.”
Old 09-02-2020, 08:48 PM

I had started letting my natural color grow in before COVID appeared. I colored my hair for years but got tired of the upkeep. Been surprised that I wasn't as gray/white as I had anticipated. My 90 year old mom still has most of her natural brunette color so I must take after her. Am loving the freedom of natural hair.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:53 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

I In my past life, keeping up with my roots required a 3-step process — retouch at the roots — foils for highlights (highlights that looked like threads, not stripes) and adding clear for shine.

If I am understanding all that correctly, I think what happens is the bleach used for the highlights roughs up the cuticle of the hair but then the clear calms it down and restores shine.

I don’t know for sure if that’s how that process works. But I do know that a gifted hairstylist has to be part artist and part chemist.

It took a lot of work to not look like I had a dye-job.

A couple of years ago, I started having the highlights brought up lighter and lighter. That was when I started having my brows tinted with a little of the base color that was used for the root retouch. My eyebrows had been quietly turning white so my hairstylist talked me into letting her color them. I am glad she did.

I will continue with the brow-tinting, even if I let my hair go natural. One concern I have had about going natural is that I will look washed out. The brow tinting seems like it helps the eye area to be more defined — especially after I put on a little eyeliner and mascara. Who remembers putting on eyeliner and mascara? (sigh)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-03-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
hair, silver, color, gray, white

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.