Heels to Die For

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Sage
Default Re: Heels to Die For

Thanks for the tip about Webster. Now I won't waste my time getting dust on my Birks in that location.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:54 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

:yikes: YEEEOWCH!!! :yikes:

Oh my aching feet!!! I have had problems with my feet all my life! Bunions, Arthritis, Flat feet and over the past 20 years several nasty, painful bouts of Plantar Fasciitis in both feet :'( :'( :'(

As a matter of fact I have been experiencing pain in my right foot lately as a result of plantar fasciitis. Time for some Physical Therapy.

In 1998 I had physical therapy for six weeks which worked incredibly well. Once a week I received Iontophoresis, learned where to apply pressure to specific points on my feet, stretch and roll a tennis ball under my feet. The most important thing for me is wearing shoes with adequate arch support so heels of any type are totally out of the question! I stick to Birkenstocks and now Crocs. I spent Sunday afternoon walking around at a trade show on hard concrete flooring without pain because of my Crocs but as soon as I have to put on my heavy, steel toed work boots I'm in trouble again.

For those unfamiliar with it, here is the definition of Iontophoesis:
The use of electric current to deliver medication through the skin. Typically, prescription steroidal anti-inflammatory or analgesics drugs are used. Medication is delivered directly to the area of injury in an attempt to control pain and inflammation. The problems that oral and/or injectable medication can cause are eliminated.

www.itcpharmacy.com/podiatry_iontophoresis.php
www.plantar-fasciitis.org
Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 AM
Gold member

I am afraid I have to join the plantar fasciitis club too. A lifetime of high heels could be the cause, but I do love them. I used to even wear them camping and trekking in the mountains. Crazy yes, but I managed as well as those who wore those ugly hiking boots. I am not exactly the outdoors type anyway. Too far from all the nice concrete and I start to get nervous...all that green stuff, it just looks the same to me.
Now I wear lower heels, but heels none the less it seems that I have shortened muscles in my legs that even yoga can't elongate. I'm with Red. Give me heels.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Veteran member

I'm a faithful member of the Birkenstock Club, have about 7 pairs of sandals and can't wear any other shoes comfortably. Good Grief - If I ever had a formal event to attend I'd have to go out and buy a pair of shoes but I don't think I can wear closed shoes anymore. Even in the Oregon winters, I wear my Birks with wool socks. When it's freezing and snowy I do wear fur-lined boots but don't walk as well as in my good old Birki's!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 AM

Okay ladies: I didn't even finish reading to the last post. Had to stop and post this little tid bit. Since I am a nurse . . . and since I have had PLANTAR FASCIITIS, that is "inflammation of the fascia, I can chime in here. First, the fascia goes from the heel all the way to the ball of your foot. If, for any reason, that becomes inflammed, here's what you do. (This fascia is attached to your heel and ball of your foot like a piece of chicken skin to a chicken thigh, if you get my drift.

1. Wear small heels, not flat shoes. Lifting up your heels takes the pressure off and allows the fascia to stretch with each step.
2. ICE, ICE, ICE !! And when you are done, STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH.
3. Take Aleve, 2 tabs at breakfast and dinner (must be with food) for at least 2 weeks. This will help reduce the inflammation so the stretches are less painful.
4. When, and you know this happens to you, you get out of bed at night or first thing in the morning, DO NOT LET YOUR FEET TOUCH THE FLOOR before you point and flex, point and flex, do leg lifts (little ones) and leg bends in bed to get the circulation going to your feet. Otherwise, you will be hobbling all the way to the bathroom in terrible pain.
5. If you really have pain in the a.m. when you awake, you may need to see an orthopedic and get a night splint for your foot. When we sleep, the foot collapses (stretches forward) and causes pain. A splint keeps your foot flexed so this is prevented. I needed a splint and wore it for 6 mths. My PF occurred during nursing school when I was a student AND worked f/t and cared for 4 kids, a house, a husband, a life. On my feet too much.

So, Red, heels (small ones that lift your heel just a bit) are therapeutic for heel pain sufferers.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:01 AM
Sage

Jerseygirl,

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

Your good sound advice is greatly appreciated. I will start your recommended therapy immediately.

Had 2 cortisone shots recently but did not help much. At this point, Ill try anything.

Do these darn things ever just go away by themselves? :dontknow:

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 AM

CIB, I love Birk's also. Sometimes they bother my feet if I wear them too long cuz of the flatness. I do need little heel once in a while.

Nonie: Think heel spurs are different in that the fascia isn't affected as badly. You have a "spur", a little growth of bone projecting off the calcaneous (heel bone). I thought that's what I had back then. They are formed from friction, like a callous, only bone juts out, little knob-like projections. Gross. BUT, far as I know, the treatment is the same as if you had PF. Cortisone should help but many times only briefly. Exercise to stretch the fascia around the heel spur, ice to decrease inflammation, Aleve is like a miracle drug for these two conditions, and stretch like crazy to get the blood circulating in that area. Stop during the day and stretch, stretch in the grocery line, while riding in the car, while swimming - always point and flex, rotate ankle, it's the best. I bet if you do these things consistently for a few weeks, you will be out of pain totally. Then, just continue the stretching of your foot/calf muscles throughout the day. Another great stretch is to assume a wide stance, about 12 inches from a wall, then lean into the wall, keeping both feet flat on the floor. Hurts at first. Also, bend down and reach your toe, opposite knee bent, toe pointing up to ceiling, heel on floor. That'll get ya screaming at first. Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:58 AM
Sage

Jerseygirl,

Once again a huge thankyou for the wonderful advice! Started stretching and icing and Im feeling much better already. Its like a miracle!!! Who needs a podiatrist when we have you???

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:29 AM

Nonie: So glad to hear your heel is better. Keep up the good work. Don't stop taking care of it for at least a few weeks. Once it feels better consistently, for a few weeks, you can do "maintenance" therapy on it. May have to pick it up again for a few week time period if it flares up but, it's a small price to pay (compared to podiatrists, orthopedic docs, physical therapy, etc). You can do your own PT, at your convenience. Great news. Glad I could help, only because I have done all the field work when I suffered, very badly, with that.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Veteran member

I have PF also and sure appreciate the help and advice on this string. But I have the hardest time finding shoes I can wear with any comfort all day long. Did get crocs (from Bealls) as foot doctors office staff suggested but found them too loose and uncomfortable. When shopping at Ace Hardware, I found their gardening shoe...very similar to crocs and much cheaper (around $15). These have helped my foot pain quite a bit and they're more comfortable than the crocs.

Will Birkenstocks help with the PF? I wear MBT's on occasion (much too heavy a shoe) and New Balance.

Thanks for the advice on the exercises. Have been using ice often, but not told to stretch and flex my foot....so will get with it! You've given me new hope that I can get rid of this pain on my own!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Sage

Marianne, the Birks saved me.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianne237
I have PF also and sure appreciate the help and advice on this string.
Will Birkenstocks help with the PF?
When I had PF, I was told by my podiatrist to always wear a bit of a heel and to avoid Birks as they have a negative heel. I know some people love them. But I almost always wear orthodics, even in dress sandals, and shoes with a slight heel.

Stretching is the most important part, I stand on the ball of my foot on a stair backwards (holding on of course) and stretch my heel downwards. And you should always stretch your foot before you get out of bed in the morning (I use an elastic band).

Good luck, it takes a while to get back to "normal", but you will!!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 AM

BF: IMHO, I agree with you, Birk's are no good if you have PF. In my experience, a little heel gives enough lift to take the pressure off the fascia. When I wear a flat - like flip flops - I'm in agony quickly. Especially if I'm out all day in flats. So, to me, that's proof that the heel theory is valid. Also, I change up my shoes alot, never wearing the same shoes day in and day out. Also buy new Nikes every 6 mths. as they break down quickly,depending on how much you wear them and how hard you are on your shoes (walking 2 blocks v. 2 mi. per day). Hope everybody's foot pain is on the mend.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Sage

I think that's the point about the Birks. Your foot is in that gentle stretch all day with the negative heel. They sure worked for me. Our feet are all different, though, so whatever does it for you is what you should be wearing. Just get better. PF is a pain.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Platinum member

When I had PF, Birks were the only shoe that feel OK on my feet. Interesting how we all have a different take on this.
Tampa, FL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.