Married singles

Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Default Married singles

Is there a club in the Villages for people that have a husband or wife in a long term facility that would like to meet other people in the same situation or members of a single group that doesn’t have a problem with this situation?
Old 12-23-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

I can understand your situation and I'm sure that there are quite a few people in your predicament. I don't think I've heard of any particular groups that cater to this idea of "married singles" you have, but perhaps there should be. In the mean time, you might want to look into groups that support people with spouses suffering from Alzheimer or dementia. In addition to support for each other, there may be some social aspect to them as well.

I respect your being open about this and hope people don't make light of it. The late Margaret Thatcher (former prime minister of the United Kingdom) was in a similar situation. Her husband slid into dementia and was eventually placed in a memory unit. While there, he gradually lost his memory of his wife but was still healthy and active enough to begin a sexual relationship with another patient. When asked about it, Ms. Thatcher claimed that she had no issues with it because he deserved a little happiness. Well, so did she, so does your spouse and so do you.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:25 PM
Sage

I'm interested as a husband of my wife who lives in a memory care facility and is declining. I'm ready to move on and get on with my life.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:37 AM

There are groups such as the Rainbow Group which is bi /gay plus friends of the Villages . There is also a SIngles Club that meets here. I think they even play golf both here and different courses outside of the Villages from time to time. There are always other groups on here that you can join, that meets on here also. Check the groups section on here at Talk of The Villages, I am sure you will be accepted in any of the groups. Who knows there may be people on here that knows someone who has lost a significant other , and can introduce you to their friends/acquaintences that are really looking for someone. If you are a golfer there are many mixed golf leagues where men and women play who have lost significant others. My advice is put yourself out there, you will be much happier than you are now being lonely.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:42 AM

There is a Sunday night dance for mainly singles, but some couples also. You would feel at home at these dances. Here is the latest information:
It’s here! This Sunday is our first dance in Wildwood. The address is 6500 Powell Rd. Wildwood. Please put it in your maps so you can find it.
Doors open at 5:30. Music from 6:30 to 9:30. The ticket price is $12. Snacks will be on the tables, we hope. We have to set the tables up, so I hope we have time to put the snacks out. We’ll work it all out. No cushions here. Will have to bring your own..we will still supply the water and the soda. The dance will be BYOB..
There is a parking lot around the building and extra parking to the left of the building, in the grass..
Fred Campbell will be playing the first night.
Futures dates: Jan. 13, 20 and Jan 27th. If the dance is well attended we could possible add a fourth date. We also have dates for February & March.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I can understand your situation and I'm sure that there are quite a few people in your predicament. I don't think I've heard of any particular groups that cater to this idea of "married singles" you have, but perhaps there should be. In the mean time, you might want to look into groups that support people with spouses suffering from Alzheimer or dementia. In addition to support for each other, there may be some social aspect to them as well.

I respect your being open about this and hope people don't make light of it. The late Margaret Thatcher (former prime minister of the United Kingdom) was in a similar situation. Her husband slid into dementia and was eventually placed in a memory unit. While there, he gradually lost his memory of his wife but was still healthy and active enough to begin a sexual relationship with another patient. When asked about it, Ms. Thatcher claimed that she had no issues with it because he deserved a little happiness. Well, so did she, so does your spouse and so do you.
Not disputing your story of Dennis Thatcher, but could you give me the source information, because I have not seen that story anywhere.
Thank you.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Not disputing your story of Dennis Thatcher, but could you give me the source information, because I have not seen that story anywhere.
Thank you.
It appears Denis Thatcher succumbed to pancreatic cancer.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Thank you.
I think that story is about Sandra Day O'Connor's husband.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Closed Thread

Tags
people, situation, meet, members, single

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.