Moving soon

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas
Default Moving soon

I will be retiring (I think) and moving to TV. I am a scientist, type A, planner and organizer, and all around mentally engaged person. This has worked well for my profession and carried me far. However, I have become aware I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO RELAX. I can't meditate (or don't know how), can't get into yoga, don't like massages etc......because my mind is flying. I"ve had 2 massages during which I have composed letters, did grocery lists etc. I really want to start a new healthy life in TV. I will be moving there this summer and I want to take care of me instead of everyone else and I think I would like to join a group or have some personal help to try to relax and maybe do some mind-searching, bio-feedback, something to slow my mind and enjoy my surroundings mentally as well as physically.
Do any women out there have any ideas for me. I currently belong to a study club and we study various topics but-you see, its the researching and study that seems to keep me going. I don't know how to "zen" out and don't know how or where to start that process. My mind seems to be running all the time. HELP.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 PM

Hi SuziQ,
I think I know where you are coming from. While I know I am definitely not a Type A personality, I am a planner and organizer - it's what I do for a living (currently). I do try to make the most use of my time as well and often have a difficult time relaxing. When I get facials, my aesthetician told me that she always gets the feeling that I can't wait to jump out the chair and get on with something else. She is right about that! That is the main reason I am looking forward to retiring and moving to TV. I will have time to devote to "ME", my community and the pursuits that I have put off due to lack of time caused by the amount of hours that I work. My "list" grows daily. What excited me about TV was that there would be so many opportunities to try new things. For us that is the appeal. We are starting our move this week and hope to be full time next year.
Please feel free to send me a PM if you wish. If I'm not mistaken, I think we already emailed about my dog, Barney. Wishing you well with your planning.

Rona
Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Location: Ft. Lauderdale - New Castle,PA - Overland Park, KS - Palm Bay, FL - Village of Charlotte

I can so relate to your situation. I am still adjusting but I started with a step down approach. I started by doing some volunteer work within my profession. That kept me connected without alot of stress or major accountabilities but I still was able to use my skill set. I have migrated away from that role since we moved here. Now I am doing some volunteer work for my church which is fulfilling because they need my organization skills. I am studying Tai Chi because it is helpful with the meditation part or my adjustment. I have learned to play Mahjongg which lets me use my brain and then I play bunco to laugh and meet lots of new friends. It's a process but I am loving my new life everyday. PM me if you want to get together when you move here.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Platinum member

Suzi, I related to everything you wrote...including I'm retiring (I think)....
maybe we can start a club....
Old 02-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Sage

i am not the best person to give advice in this area because i am VERY relaxed and have been retired since my husband passed away when i was only 51...but if you want a quiet, tranquil friend to take in a movie with or whatever, please contact me when you get here! my best friend is type A and we both find that we help each other...i help her to calm down and she helps me to get out and do stuff!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Platinum member

I can relate to what you're saying. I'm not sure where you live now, but just moving to Florida gives you a sense of slower, more relaxed living. The Walmart cashiers will take a few moments to talk about the customer's grandchilden, and maybe look at their picture. So, in some respects, you will be forced to be a little more patient and used to a slower pace. I am also counting on being in TV to help me slow down and smell the roses.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

Count me in the club! I am a Type A personality, I have worked at a University for 32 years and I am moving to TV at the end of the school year in May. Stress reduction is #1 on my To Do list (are To Do lists even allowed?)

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Platinum member

sounds like a lot of us may be there about the same time...we definitely need to start something....just swapping stories about the hectic lives we led would probably be therapeutic.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum member

I, like many others juggled and multitasked for years to provide my living.
Downtime for me was rare. Thankfully, I stayed healthy enough to finally make it here, with time and ability to enjoy this wonderful new chapter of life.

I made a decision to strive to do the things that PLEASED me, even if I was not sure of what they might yet be.
The nice thing here in The Villages is, there are multitudes of things to try without having to make a permanent commitment. If you like it, return and do it again. If you don't, let it go.

For serenity, I took a clay sculpture class (through our college) I go to a drumming circle when I am in the mood. I dance like a beginner at a jazz class and find myself grinning the whole time I am there.
I found a morning water aerobics class that uses fun music, and another one in the evening where we watch the glorious sunsets reflect on the water and surround and engulf us as we move.

I found wonderful places along the golf car paths, that reveal ponds with water falls and beautiful wading birds. Grabbing a cup of coffee early in the morning and heading out for a ride before any hustle or bustle begins is a lovely way to begin the day.... a luxury I never had before.
Serenity begins to creep into your life effortlessly with things like this and these examples are but a small taste of all that can spark and refresh you here, but it takes time to let it unfold.

Think of it simply as a realignment back to who you really are inside.
I have a feeling you will do well.

to your new life. It's gong to be cool.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum member

check this out for meditation...I swear you can find anything at TV

Club Meetings & Special Events - Parapsychology Club of The Villages, FL
Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Veteran member

Suzi, I totally know where you are coming from! I have owned a marketing agency for the past 16 years and looking forward to permanently moving to TV in the next few years. We did buy a house in Duval and try to go to our home every 1 - 2 months.
I too think about turning off my brain at times.
I will send a pm.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2soon View Post
Suzi, I related to everything you wrote...including I'm retiring (I think)....
maybe we can start a club....
I will join the club! Bet we can get at least 5 members. Is that the # needed to create a club?

Lillian
Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 AM

I'm in..sooo nice to know that I am not alone. I always wish that I could take my head off at night n put it on the bureau til I need it.
Lets get together, talk, share, laugh and
P
L
A
Y
Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Veteran member

SuziQ now SuziQ in The Villages You'll figure it out. Life in The Villages will let you finally relax.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Veteran member

It did take a little time, but we conquered the "turn off the world" problem. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Relaxation happens!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.