Salon Academy -- Am I being unreasonable?

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Salon Academy -- Am I being unreasonable?

Am I being unresonable? I called today to ask to get a little cut off the top of my haircut. The instructor had told Shannon to leave it a little longer because the wave in my hair would make it shorter. Well, I've tried futzing with it for a week now and it would be sooooo much better with a quarter of an inch taken off.

I can get it cut next Wednesday but I'll have to pay for a full cut. Okay, they're cheap, but it's the principle of the thing. If the instructor hadn't told her to make it a bit longer, there wouldn't be a problem.

So, should I be willing to say okay, I'll pay again because they're a school or stay on my high horse because they mucked up and I shouldn't have to pay for their goof?

Advice, comments? Need your input, sistahs!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Salon Academy -- Am I being unreasonable?

I think you should talk to instructor and say that even though she has the experience her input on your cut didn't work and you don't feel you should have to pay full price again. Maybe a comprise: split the cost.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Sage

I tried talking to the manager and the instructor. They both told me that I would have to pay full price again. I wouldn't mind compromising but to be flat out told that I should have said something before I left if I wasn't happy with it and that I'd have to pay for what I consider the instructor's mistake (she even agreed it was her goof but too bad).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 PM

with you, Red. Seems to me you shouldn't have to pay anything for them to correct the problem. How would you know, before you left the place, that this cut would work for you??? Especially when you wanted it cut shorter in the first place. Being they are a school - I guess maybe they don't worry much about having happy customers, who will want to come back. :dontknow:
Old 02-22-2008, 11:43 PM

Red,
Having also owned a salon, I think that's very poor business on their part.
If it was a month since you got the trim that would be a different situation. But a few days!!!
Don't know about the school here, but it's not uncommon to have to cut a little more off a customer you hesitated on for fear of cutting it too short.
Only takes a few minutes. Much better to spend the time fixing it than doing it wrong or not fixing it.
They say, if you're unhappy, you tell 250 people, and that's not counting anything online.
That manager is a dumba$$!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Sage

Thanks, Mint! Hey, want to trim the top of my head? roflao

Old 02-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

All I know is this...after cutting my hair my stylist always tells me that if I'm not happy to call and come back in so she can cut it more to my liking...at no additonal charge. Maybe it's because I've been a regular customer of hers for 10 years, however, I think it's just plain old good client/stylist relationship (and a salon that knows their success depends on client happiness).

A school, especially, should teach the students that keeping a positive rapport with customers will not only build their base of clients but also provide a good word for the salon they will eventually work for. The school should not only teach that but practice what they teach.

Sadly, Red, if the manager can't be convinced, then where else can you go? I hear the school is owned by The Villages so not sure there is a higher authority to complain to.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Sage

Well, I think they may have lost a customer but I may stop by there and print out this thread. It could be interesting.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:18 AM

Red, I don't know if with your personality you could do it, but if you made a big stink at the front desk in front of other customers, I'll bet they'd bring you to that styling area right then and fix it free, even if the instructor had to do it...
You called before, too easy for them... Go down there. Put the pressure on.
I normally wouldn't recommend that, but if they want to be unreasonable, why shouldn't you??
Old 02-23-2008, 01:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Maybe we all should call and complain about the way we have heard they treat customers. Tell them we were influenced by the bad experience report and will pass the word to as many people as possible.

Hmmmmm.....power in numbers
Old 02-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Sage

These are kids, not professionals, who are learning how to cut hair. Thus the low prices.
IMHO.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

BF...I'm not berating the kids...it's the manager.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:36 AM
Gold member

I think the fault here is with the supervisor not the student. It would be a shame to punish a student for the supervisors mistake.
I would go to the academy and speak with the supervisor in person. Possibly she will be more respnsive in a public situation.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:48 AM
Sage

I agree that my issue is with the manager and instructor. Honestly, if it had been Shannon who had just not cut the top short enough, I would happily go back and pay for her to fix it, but she did this at the express direction of her instructor, who is not a student, has been a stylist for a quite awhile and should know what she is talking about. When I pointed it out on the phone that the mistake was by her, not Shannon (who I truly believe did an awesome job), I was told, "Yes, it probably was [my mistake]," with a little laugh.

That is what I'm objecting to -- the cavelier attitude and refusal to try to rectify the problem. I'm not asking for a new cut, I'm asking that a little more be taken off the top. I didn't wait a month, I even tried to work with the cut as it was. Heck, I'd even have been satisfied if the instructor told me to come in and she would fix it or offer for Shannon to do it at half-price.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:05 AM
mcelheny

All the hair places in the Villages and the school are owned by one person-Karen West(wife of one of the builders). Even at the school, the prices are not cheap. Students pay tuition--clients pay and the students don't get any of the money!! I went to some of the salons and had the worst experiences. Then I sat for 4 hours to get roots done at the school. The student(another big ego(daughter of a builder) did a terrible job!! She tried again and all my roots were still showing. Six hours later I ran from there...I might of had the worst because the girl I was suppose to have didn't show up. Although, the girl I did have kept bragging about her scores and was going into a shop in a week. I went the next day outside the Villages and the hair dresser said I should go demand my money back as all my roots were showing. I knew they wouldn't give a cent back and I will never go into that school again. The hairdresser in Lady Lake is overbooked fixing horror stories from the school and salons in the Villages. Her prices are firm and a third of what I had paid in the Villages. So warn everybody and do what you can to change this ...Alot of newbies and visitors are getting riped off by this greedy operation. Tell people to go outside the Villages for their hair.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.