Security

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove
Default Security

I know security should be a concern whether you are single or a couple. However, as a single woman, I do feel this is more of an important issue than when my husband was alive. Currently living up north I have a security system that covers all the basement and downstairs windows and doors - therefore leaving bedroom windows open is not a problem. I've never lived in a single story home. Can you offer some security measures that I should think about?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 AM
Platinum member

We also have a security system and when we move to TV, we will have one there too.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When the weather is nice we leave the windows open. We do in Ohio and we do in The Villages. A lot of people do in both places.

You read where seniors die when their air conditioning goes out and they won't open their windows. Many seniors are way too afraid, especially in a safe area.

I am beginning to think this fear is an age disorder.

I can see why you have misgivings living alone. Please come and see how this place really is. There aren't people prowling around in the dark as far as I can see and I am not much of a sleeper. Maybe a little barker might be good, if you are a dog person.

Please don't be afraid. It's all good here.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-12-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Sage

Just for the record, and Gracie's peace of mind, there is a system that has wires in the window screens that is sensitive to cutting or removal. You can leave the windows open and still have perimeter security. Gracie, don't ever change.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Sage

When you look at the national statistics from the US Dept. of Justice about crimes against seniors, here are the facts:

"National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), persons age 65 or older generally experienced victimizations at much lower rates than
younger groups of people from 1993 through 2002.
For the period 1993-2002 the elderly experienced nonfatal violent crime at a
rate 1/20th that of young persons (4 per 1,000 age 65 or older versus 82
victimizations per 1,000 persons age 12-24). Violent crimes include rape,
sexual assault, robbery, and aggravated and simple assaults."

This isn't a promotion for people not to be careful or to let their commonsense and the great wisdom that comes with age to be set aside when dealing with strangers. Just the facts.

Also, according to the report, "...Purse snatching/pocket picking
(personal larceny) was the only measured crime for which the elderly
were victimized at about the same rates as most other age groups..."

The most recent stats from the USDOJ on this subject are upto 2002. Other articles I've read show the trend continuing. I don't like misinformation or fear mongering. Just as a side note, we have a security light that comes on when we pull into our carport at TV. Our neighbors commented that they liked the fact that it comes on at night when they pull around our cul-de-sac and their headlights hit our driveway. Two of our neighbors installed them at their homes. Not just for security, but so we can see to get out of the car and into the house without tripping.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/cpa6502.pdf

Last edited by bkcunningham1; 07-12-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
When you look at the national statistics from the US Dept. of Justice about crimes against seniors, here are the facts:

"National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), persons age 65 or older generally experienced victimizations at much lower rates than
younger groups of people from 1993 through 2002.
For the period 1993-2002 the elderly experienced nonfatal violent crime at a
rate 1/20th that of young persons (4 per 1,000 age 65 or older versus 82
victimizations per 1,000 persons age 12-24). Violent crimes include rape,
sexual assault, robbery, and aggravated and simple assaults."

This isn't a promotion for people not to be careful or to let their commonsense and the great wisdom that comes with age to be set aside when dealing with strangers. Just the facts.

Also, according to the report, "...Purse snatching/pocket picking
(personal larceny) was the only measured crime for which the elderly
were victimized at about the same rates as most other age groups..."

The most recent stats from the USDOJ on this subject are upto 2002. Other articles I've read show the trend continuing. I don't like misinformation or fear mongering. Just as a side note, we have a security light that comes on when we pull into our carport at TV. Our neighbors commented that they liked the fact that it comes on at night when they pull around our cul-de-sac and their headlights hit our driveway. Two of our neighbors installed them at their homes. Not just for security, but so we can see to get out of the car and into the house without tripping.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/cpa6502.pdf
You should post this over on the "concealed carry guns" thread. Maybe it will calm some of the fear.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.