Pinholes in clothes?

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Gold member
Default Pinholes in clothes?

From time to time have noticed pinhole size tears in clothing items such as tee shirts or shorts. Three of my friends have also mentioned it - seems to occur after the clothes come out of the washing machine. We all have different types of washers and use different detergents - can't figure this out. Anyone else have/had this type of problem? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Sage

Are the holes generally in consistent locations (front of garments, for example)?

Bill
Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Sage

Yep, I've noticed it too on a few all-cotton tee shirts. Not sure if it is the washer or some kind of critter causing it. Interesting to hear that others have noticed it.

Bill, to your question, have only noticed it on the front of the shirt.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Sage

If it's on the front - and perhaps about waist high - it could be from occasionally rubbing against a counter top or a work bench.

Check this thread out (from a different forum). Read to your heart's content - all kinds of ideas, thoughts, and premises. But check the post by "dpak1" from Mar. 21, '08, about 1/3 of the way down the page. The posts are in ascending date sequence so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Read that post and subsequent ones as well:

Holes in Clothing -part II - Laundry Room Forum - GardenWeb

Bill
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Veteran member

I have been noticing that also. Don't know how they got there. Would love to find an answer.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Veteran member

Are these the shirts you wear when you fill your water in the golf cart batteries? My husband has numerous holes from the acid splashing.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Sage

I don't know what is causing the pin holes in T shirts. But I have noticed that someone is coming into my closet in the middle of the night and shrinking all my clothes.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I don't know what is causing the pin holes in T shirts. But I have noticed that someone is coming into my closet in the middle of the night and shrinking all my clothes.
Oh, Geeze, is THAT what it is?! And here I thought it was the fried egg and bacon and cheese sandwiches at Light House Inn. Whew, what a relief.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Platinum member

If you're washing clothes on the cotton setting it will do this, the cotton setting is for towels and sheets, not cotton knits.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:40 AM

Wow, nice to know that I am not the only one that has noticed tiny holes in their T-Shirts and only on the front. I wash them on permament cycle but interesting that it is only my shirts and not my husbands. I was thinking there were tiny critters in my closet chewing on my T-Shirts.

"Saving one dog won't change the world...but the world will change for that one dog."
Old 05-08-2012, 05:49 AM

We had the same problem. I finally determined that it happened every time my husband added water to our electric golf cart. Now exactly sure what he was doing that was causing this, but every since we purchased a gasoline cart, the problem has stopped. I am absolutely sure that was what was causing it. I even noticed it on the back of one of my tops once, and I figured he must have somehow splashed it on the back of my seat.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjo View Post
Are these the shirts you wear when you fill your water in the golf cart batteries? My husband has numerous holes from the acid splashing.
That's an interesting theory... We have two electric carts and each do our own battery maintenance, usually while wearing old T shirts.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Default Me too!

My theory was because I always sit on the couch with the laptop and I thought when I closed the cover it was catching my shirt and I thought that was putting the hole at my waist in the front.

Wow, I didn't realize we had an epidemic of T-shirt holes here in the Villages!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Send a message via AIM to KateTut

Same here. Those pinholes have ruined dozens of nice shirts for me and it aggravates me to no end!

I have narrowed the cause down to two things in my case:

-Rubbing against the granite in the kitchen, particularly when cleaning and my shirt gets wet.

-The seatbelt in the car, particularly when I have jeans on (the metal grommet button).

I thought it was the washer for awhile, but we went from an agitator to a front loader, and I was very careful to zip jeans and fasten other closures...still holes.

There was a button on the seatbelt that rubbed against my belt line, so my husband took that off. It helped some. I got one of those fluffy seatbelt protectors, and that helps some. I got a cobbler-styles apron and that helps a lot...if I remember to put it on.

I still get pinholes now and then, but it's vastly improved. It's always in the expensive shirts, of course.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

I was just looking at the shirt I have on today and wondering where that tiny hole came from. Yes, it has affected several of my shirts. I thought it was because my clothes are so old and were just wearing out.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.