Toenail fungus gone- Thanks Medi Spa of Ocala

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Default Toenail fungus gone- Thanks Medi Spa of Ocala

Had the laser treatment done at MediSpa in Ocala, nails are clear. I had 2 nails on each foot that had fungus. Very happy with the treatment I received. It did take several treatments over several months, but it worked.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:01 PM
Sage

I did it with Vicks Vaporub. My podiatrist recommended it. I didn't believe it would work, but it did
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I did it with Vicks Vaporub. My podiatrist recommended it. I didn't believe it would work, but it did
Tell me more about treating nail fungus with Vicks. How long did it take for nail to clear? Was your nail cut off when you used it or did you rub directly on nail? How often did you apply Vicks daily.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Gold member

This is interesting... hope to see more info regarding application of vicks
Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I have heard that...how nice the podiatrist recommended it!

Last edited by shcisamax; 12-10-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Gold member

I used it Vicks on my nails and it did work - for a time. The nails cleared up almost entirely but after a while they returned to their former condition. It took about 2 months to clear up using Vicks every night with socks on in bed. I hate socks on in bed. Anyway after they cleared up I stopped using the Vicks and the fungus returned so that told me I would have to always apply Vicks at night. I guess if you don't mind applying it every night and wearing socks to bed it could work for you.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn630 View Post
Had the laser treatment done at MediSpa in Ocala, nails are clear. I had 2 nails on each foot that had fungus. Very happy with the treatment I received. It did take several treatments over several months, but it worked.
What was the cost of your laser treatments? Did Medicare cover it?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Derby R, Rohal P, Jackson C, et al. Novel treatment of onychomycosis using over-the-counter mentholated ointment: a clinical case series. J Am Board Fam Med. 2011;24(1):69-74.

Very small study (18 patients) of Vicks for fungal toenails. Treated daily for 48 weeks with a 28% fungal cure rate. 85% reported at least some improvement. No other published data
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21209346
Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtyard View Post
What was the cost of your laser treatments? Did Medicare cover it?
No you must pay out of pocket for treatment. I had it done in ny. First treatment was 1000, Second was 400. Improved slightly but no cure. Mine was done by a doctor. I would be careful going to a spa. The laser that was used on me was called PinPoint laser. It's suppose to be the best for toe nails . Google it.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:14 AM
Gold member

This article discusses all things mentioned here, and I thought this was interesting, since nail-salon pedicures are so popular these days:
"There’s no one route of [fungal nail] infection, but sources include pedicures and locker room showers. Fungi love moist, dark environments such as wet shoes, Kominsky says, so people such as lifeguards, landscapers and fishermen are particularly susceptible. Shoes are the reason why toenail fungus is much more common than fingernail fungus, which can also occur.

The elderly are more likely to have toenail fungus than younger people because….."
New laser treatment takes aim at toenail fungus - The Washington Post
Old 12-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Sage

Why is it so difficult to get rid of?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:21 PM

I had laser treatment done at medispa of Ocala. I bought a groupon savings certificate for 3 or 4 treatments for $500. My toe nails are coming in all clear. I previously tried home remedies and heavy duty oral med from Dr with no results. I am happy with results of laser.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:06 PM

There is a prescription drug called Lamisil. It is quite expensive but it has come of its patent protection and can be obtained in generic form called terbinafine which is quite inexpensive. My GP was not aware that it had come off patent protection. If you need this treatment, you can do the rest of the research.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:08 PM

Hi all,
My doc recommended the Vicks treatment years ago and it was working but I quit before it was totally gone. Recently I read about Tea Tree Oil (which is like a wonder cure for tons of things). I tried it and it worked much quicker. I hate the sock thing too so my solution is to put the oil on a piece of cotton on your nail then cover with a "finger cot" (little rubber finger covers). I polished my toes before the fungus was totally gone so I can't testify to the finality of it yet....but will def go with the tea tree oil. Stay tuned.....
Old 01-29-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleyxray View Post
There is a prescription drug called Lamisil. It is quite expensive but it has come of its patent protection and can be obtained in generic form called terbinafine which is quite inexpensive. My GP was not aware that it had come off patent protection. If you need this treatment, you can do the rest of the research.
I had severe fungus in 5 of my nails most of my adult life. Tried Vicks and other remedies to no avail. Doctor put me on Lamisil and I have been fungus free for over 7 years. You have to have a liver test halfway through the treatment. I am not sure about laser but I have always been told the fungus has to be killed from the inside which is how Lamisil works.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.