What Do I Do?

Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2021, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,273 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
However, a large percentage just sits home alone.
That's sad... We've only been down in TV Land (off and on) for 9 months and we've already had dinner at our home and our friend's homes at least a half dozen times...

Invite them, and they will come...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-01-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiF View Post
Ladies - I’m packing for our move and I have a question. We aren’t getting a big house, most likely a small designer or bungalow villa so kitchen space will be iffy. All my kitchenware, dishes, glasses, silverware etc. are at least services for 12 and even 14. And lots of serving pieces. That’s because I cook a lot and regularly host meals. In Florida, until we get to know people and get involved at church, it’ll mostly be family who visit and sometimes friends (2-4). So I’m debating on bringing down so much kitchen stuff. What did you do? Did you wish you had? Or sorry you brought it all? We’re paying a moving company so that makes a difference too. I love what I have and hate to get rid of it. Hopefully I get a nice big pantry closet! 🤞
Buy your house first....then decide. Sounds like you may be putting the cart before the horse
Old 10-01-2021, 08:18 AM

Bring whatever you love. If it doesn’t fit in the house, store it in the garage or attic or public storage space. Then through natural selection, if you don’t use it in one or two years, sell it or give it away.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:19 AM

Sold most everything. You won’t have space,for all that. Guaranteed! Life is simpler done here.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
My sense is that the vast majority of people in The Villages never have anyone over for dinner and are never asked over to anyone else’s house. In the year I’ve lived here, I’ve had one dinner for six at the dining table and one pool party for eight, where we ate finger food off paper plates and used disposable cups. I have a thirty year old set of Corel that gets little use and a nice set of stainless dinnerware for twelve, half of which I keep in the garage. I got rid of all the redundancies. I haven’t missed them at all. Kitchen appliances I rarely use I keep in cupboards in the garage.

You may be one of the people who throw dinner parties—that sounds wonderful. However, a large percentage just sits home alone. A larger percentage meets friends at the golf course, or at a recreation center for some club, or maybe meets at a restaurant or at a town square. But that doesn’t mean they bring them home. This comes as a surprise to me, as I was hoping to do more entertaining and develop a group of friends that met at each other’s homes, but that doesn’t seem to be common here. To a large extent, the friendliness here means saying hello to people you meet while going for a walk. If you don’t go for a walk, your interaction may be more limited.
We’ll have to have you over!
Old 10-01-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptmckiou View Post
You would be surprised how much you can fit in a dining room credenza. It holds my 24 place setting of Lenox with all the accessories I.e. bowls, coffee cups, dessert plates, plus many of my glass bowls, vases, box of silverware, etc. I chose one double upper cabinet in the kitchen for all the crystal stemware. I use one deep drawer to put my daily China. Drawers are nice for China. What I cut back on was daily coffee cups and glassware. I had at least a dozen coffee cups (mugs) which take up a lot of space. I now have four. If I need more, I can use the coffee cups from the fine China set. I also got rid of all the mix and match old pots and pans. I replaced it with a high end set where everything is new and matches and a few less pieces. If you run out of space, put things in totes in your guest closets or garage.
I like that idea, thanks.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:45 AM

Keep the things you enjoy using. You can always donate items to a thrift shop later. I kept a lot of china and crystal that spends most of its time boxed in a closet. For the rare holidays I haul it out and it makes the occasion more festive and in a way keeps a tradition going.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:43 AM

We both cook and love entertaining people in our home. While most don't reciprocate, we still enjoy being the hosts. If you are interested in continuing to cook, then bring down your tools of the trade. For me, it is frustrating to cook a favorite recipe and realize you don't have the right equipment. One suggestion, as you go through your current things, ask when was the last time I used this item?

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 10-01-2021, 09:44 AM

Remember there is NO cellar like back home and the life style is totally different. We sold everything and bought new for our new life.
Almost wish we had brought some things but glad we didn't.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We are here 9 years at the most we had people for dinner 15 times and the last time was a few years ago. We out frequently and always on the holidays. Two weeks ago I gave away my dining room set, including a large breakfront, all the linen table cloths and napkins, napkin rings, place mats and a set of dishes. The next thing going is my Grandmother's Royal Doulton china18 8 piece place settings, and a dozen serving pieces. It felt great to purge.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:57 AM

[QUOTE=VickiF;2010656]Ladies - I’m packing for our move and I have a question. We aren’t getting a big house, most likely a small designer or bungalow villa so kitchen space will be iffy. All my kitchenware, dishes, glasses, silverware etc. are at least services for 12 and even 14. And lots of serving pieces.
================================================== =================
I had to part with 3 sets of serving for 12- Two of which I loved. No room for all those dishes and glasses etc. What I found was when I visited our home in the Villages before we actually moved here was that I could get by with a lot less than I thought. It isn't worth the moving cost only to find there is no place to store everything.
Try to de-clutter & bring minimal things. When you arrive & you can pick up extra as needed. My furniture wouldn't go in this size house nor would most of the decor.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:01 AM

For many of us.... the only reason we have a kitchen is because it came with the house!
Old 10-01-2021, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneMigiano View Post
For many of us.... the only reason we have a kitchen is because it came with the house!
I agree. I could use my oven as a filing cabinet! The good news it stays clean!
Old 10-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Default What to bring?

After seven years,
(1) I don’t regret bringing all of my kitchen stuff. Like you, we enjoy cooking and hosting dinners. That didn’t stop when we moved to The Villages. It has all come in handy.
(2) Wish I hadn’t brought any furniture. We’ve disposed of most of it. Cost us to move it here more than we sold it for!
(3) Like someone else said above, don’t get rid of all of your yard tools. We did-and Home Depot and Ace Hardware have been very happy to sell us replacements!
Good luck with your move and welcome to the wonderful Villages!
Old 10-01-2021, 10:50 AM

I agree..not the homey experience I anticipated
Closed Thread

Tags
kitchen, big, i’m, debating, 2-4

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.