Fishing opportunities?

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Default Fishing opportunities?

Hi all. My wife and I are planning a relo from Texas (near Galveston/Houston) to Florida next spring. We are looking at both Tampa area and the Villages, and have a lifestyle visit to the Villages planned in October.

My question is about fishing. I enjoy fishing, and have a lot invested in it, between equipment, time, and a boat (19 ft center console). How far do I have to travel from the Villages to get into decent fishing? I'm talking saltwater, freshwater, bays, lakes, rivers, ponds, etc.(fishing is fishing!)

Thanks,

Gary
Old 09-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Plenty of big lakes close to villages, about 80 mile west to west coast and around 100 to east coast for salt water fishing. St. John's River about 50 or so mile straight east. I sure you can continue your fishing activity here in central Florida. Other can comment about other areas in florida. Course Tampa would probably be the fisherman's heaven for salt water fishing IMO.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Platinum member

Do a search on this forum for fishing. A lot will come up. 2 clubs.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 09-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Hang on to Your Saltwater Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpnfish View Post
Hi all. My wife and I are planning a relo from Texas (near Galveston/Houston) to Florida next spring. We are looking at both Tampa area and the Villages, and have a lifestyle visit to the Villages planned in October.

My question is about fishing. I enjoy fishing, and have a lot invested in it, between equipment, time, and a boat (19 ft center console). How far do I have to travel from the Villages to get into decent fishing? I'm talking saltwater, freshwater, bays, lakes, rivers, ponds, etc.(fishing is fishing!)

Thanks,

Gary
Hi Gary:

Great Saltwater fishing just one hour West in Crystal River area. Light tackle spinning or fly can be effective there for redfish, specks/seatrout, Snook etc. The Keys are only 5 hours south on the Turnpike.

More great 🐟 3 hours away in Boca Grande, Pine Island areas
Including all listed above plus Tarpon.

You'll Love it here! I previously fished Venice, LA when I lived in South Louisiana...

Susan <•))><
Old 09-06-2017, 03:22 AM
Platinum member
Default Plenty of salt & fresh here to fish

Don't get rid of your center console. You have the best of both worlds....unlike me. Several friends have skinny saltwater boats. Others WISH they did. Many fish freshwater bass tournaments locally & beyond. There's salt & Freshwater Fishing Clubs with many in your situation. Check the web site of the Freshwater Fishing Club----> The Villages Freshwater Fishing | Covering the TV Freshwater Fishing Club and more
Closed Thread

Tags
fishing, villages, center, console, equipment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.