How does the floor look?

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2016, 08:05 AM
Default How does the floor look?

I noticed some lippage here and there. Some a credit card thickness and a couple areas 3 credit card thickness.The Villages FloridaThe Villages FloridaThe Villages FloridaThe Villages FloridaThe Villages Florida

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 AM
Sage

If you have lippage on a new installation, don't pay for it, and have it removed and re-installed properly. There's no excuse for poor workmanship.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
If you have lippage on a new installation, don't pay for it, and have it removed and re-installed properly. There's no excuse for poor workmanship.
It's within one to two dimes thick.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

You may or may not have a case for the contractor to redo.

If it meets these standards (which are pretty loose), it will be harder to force them to fix it.

Lippage - Floor DetectiveFloor Detective

Quote:
Lippage

The Tile Council of north America defines Lippage as “a condition where one edge of a tile is higher than an adjacent tile, giving the finished surface an uneven appearance. Lippage is inherent in all ceramic installation methods and may also be unavoidable due to the tile tolerances, in accordance with ANSI A137.1. The following is excerpted from ANSI A108.02, Section 4.3.7:

Good luck.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
You may or may not have a case for the contractor to redo.

If it meets these standards (which are pretty loose), it will be harder to force them to fix it.

Lippage - Floor DetectiveFloor Detective

Good luck.
Thanks. Now as long as it's within a dime or two that's allowed correct?

Old 08-24-2016, 07:41 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I have a question for you? How long are each of the tiles? I had tile installed which looks like hardwood flooring and although it came in various lengths and widths, Village Flooring told me not to get any longer than 24". They said that due to unevenness of the sub-flooring (concrete), if you go longer, you will always have some that will get lippage.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I have a question for you? How long are each of the tiles? I had tile installed which looks like hardwood flooring and although it came in various lengths and widths, Village Flooring told me not to get any longer than 24". They said that due to unevenness of the sub-flooring (concrete), if you go longer, you will always have some that will get lippage.
It's porcelain 12x24

Old 08-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I noticed some lippage here and there. Some a credit card thickness and a couple areas 3 credit card thickness.

I would definitely not accept the 3 credit card lippage. That could be dangerous. If that's a new build, accept none of it. JMO.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobariel View Post
It's porcelain 12x24

Mine is porcelain also but 6" x 24". Yours are double in width. It could be the sub-flooring. It makes the longer tiles see-saw if not perfectly flat. Not sure what they went over in your home. In mine, we had them install a membrane base to the floor first. It was more expensive but we didn't want it to crack if the sub-flooring cracked. That also helped in leveling. Did you have a reputable company put them in? All the installer are usually sub-contractors. I was very lucky to get two separate installers, at different times, which knew what they were doing, thank God.

Last edited by Phanatic Luvr; 08-24-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Mine is porcelain also but 6" x 24". Yours are double in width. It could be the sub-flooring. It makes the longer tiles see-saw if not perfectly flat. Not sure what they went over in your home. In mine, we had them install a membrane base to the floor first. It was more expensive but we didn't want it to crack if the sub-flooring cracked. That also helped in leveling. Did you have a reputable company put them in? All the installer are usually sub-contractors. I was very lucky to get two separate installers, at different times, which knew what they were doing, thank God.
Overall I'm happy with the work. As you can see in the pics it looks good but this is my first time dealing with tile. While not perfect it's a nice floor.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:05 PM

Quick question. If you get a cell or camera and place it directly on the floor and take a pic straight across the floor in front are you suppose to see only flat tile lines or can there be variation?

Old 09-11-2016, 04:56 AM
Kup Kake

Lippage is dangerous and a trip hazard. Nickel installed our tile and the job was pretty bad.
They were difficult to deal with.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:38 AM
Kup Kake

We had tile installed everywhere but the bedrooms when we built our house. The tile work was done by a company in Sumter Landing and we had a number of areas where lippage was a problem.
Our lippage problem was a nightmare or I should say dealing with the tile people was. Regardless of how much lippage there is, it is always a trip hazard, especially where older people are concerned,
because many older people do not lift their feet enough when they walk.

If you haven't paid for everything -- DON'T! No matter what you may work out, don't pay until you are completely satisfied, not matter what.
Good luck. You'll need it!
Closed Thread

Tags
credit, card, areas, tapatalk, sm-g900p

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.