How does the floor look?

How does the floor look?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:05 PM

Quick question. If you get a cell or camera and place it directly on the floor and take a pic straight across the floor in front are you suppose to see only flat tile lines or can there be variation?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Old 09-11-2016, 01:22 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Mine is porcelain also but 6" x 24". Yours are double in width. It could be the sub-flooring. It makes the longer tiles see-saw if not perfectly flat. Not sure what they went over in your home. In mine, we had them install a membrane base to the floor first. It was more expensive but we didn't want it to crack if the sub-flooring cracked. That also helped in leveling. Did you have a reputable company put them in? All the installer are usually sub-contractors. I was very lucky to get two separate installers, at different times, which knew what they were doing, thank God.
The allowance for lippage is a nickel. However, any installer that thinks that is ok shouldn't be installing tile. PhanaticLuvr you are somewhat correct in that when you lay tiles on a 50/50 split like this floor, you can tend to have kickers on the corners if the tiles are not perfect, the floor is not level, or the installer does not know what they are doing. However, an installer should take pride in their work and they should know how to approach these variables so that something like this does not happen regardless of those things.
When lying these particular tiles we recommend a third offset, otherwise the floor would most likely need to be self leveled in order to make it flat enough so something like this won't happen. A mediocre installer wouldn't know this but I have seen companies have to pull up floors for work similar to this.
A customer shouldn't have to worry about their furniture or toes catching, and by the looks of it there are some spots that will do both on your job.
You should never just settle when it is something you paid to have done right.
If it were a job we did we would never allow that to happen so I do not think you should settle with it from anyone either.

Alexander Tile & Marble
352-753-4888

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2016, 04:56 AM

Lippage is dangerous and a trip hazard. Nickel installed our tile and the job was pretty bad.
They were difficult to deal with.
Preventing Lippage.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:04 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Default Preventing Lippage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I have a question for you? How long are each of the tiles? I had tile installed which looks like hardwood flooring and although it came in various lengths and widths, Village Flooring told me not to get any longer than 24". They said that due to unevenness of the sub-flooring (concrete), if you go longer, you will always have some that will get lippage.
There are ways to prevent the lippage.
When necessary we float out the floors prior to laying the tile. Ultimately we use self level cement and level it by hand. Of course there is an extra charge for this but it will make your floor much better and allows us to lay large tiles (we have done 36 in long and 42 in long) without those problems.
If you would like an estimate or would like to talk to us about this give us a call.
We come highly recommended here on TOTV. You can read all our reviews and recommendations in the Contractor Ratings section at the top of the page.

ALEXANDER TILE & MARBLE
352 753 4888
Old 10-05-2016, 02:38 AM

We had tile installed everywhere but the bedrooms when we built our house. The tile work was done by a company in Sumter Landing and we had a number of areas where lippage was a problem.
Our lippage problem was a nightmare or I should say dealing with the tile people was. Regardless of how much lippage there is, it is always a trip hazard, especially where older people are concerned,
because many older people do not lift their feet enough when they walk.

If you haven't paid for everything -- DON'T! No matter what you may work out, don't pay until you are completely satisfied, not matter what.
Good luck. You'll need it!
Closed Thread

Tags
credit, card, areas, tapatalk, sm-g900p