Question on laminate installation.

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Default Question on laminate installation.

I was wondering about keeping the base board or just adding quarter round along the edges of the laminate flooring. Which way looks the most finished, I have heard that if you keep your baseboard, if the floor isn't level, you will see gaps between the baseboard and flooring whereas you won't see this with the quarter round. Thanks for your responses.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:37 AM

Removing the baseboards and putting them back looks much better than quarter round. The flooring company should level the cement befor installing the laminate. If they say they don't do that look for another company. Our flooring co also repainted the baseboard before they put them back.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccampana View Post
I was wondering about keeping the base board or just adding quarter round along the edges of the laminate flooring. Which way looks the most finished, I have heard that if you keep your baseboard, if the floor isn't level, you will see gaps between the baseboard and flooring whereas you won't see this with the quarter round. Thanks for your responses.
We had quarter round and it looks fine. Here'a photo of ours.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	quarer round.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	52855  
Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

We have both. We did out bedrooms years and and the company used quarter round it's fine. But we just redid our great room and they took off ll baseboards and they were going to repaint them but but instead replaced them with all new for same price. It looks much more professional.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Sage

In all candor 1/4 round is a half ass way to do it, it is totally unprofessional.
Done only by second rate unskilled installers.

No carpenter worth his salt would do it that way.

Oh did I mention I don't like it

When I removed my moldings "carefully" they did not need to be repainted, they are installed by the builder with small diameter nails, when reinstalled just a dab of caulk goes on the nail heads & holes if any. Then just a little touchup.

PS: don't get anything but engineered wood,
laminate is only a few pennies less not worth it.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

Our contractor removed the baseboard, sanded, filled the nail holes and repainted them and reinstalled them. . . . perfect. If you are installing up against tile, and the tile is not the same height as your new flooring. 1/4 round show "GAPS", and looks like an inexperienced install.

Tags
flooring, quarter, round, baseboard, laminate, floor, level, gaps, responses, keeping, base, board, wondering, installation, adding, question, finished, edges, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.