Church mission team goes to Cuba to help others

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2022, 01:30 AM
Editor
Default Church mission team goes to Cuba to help others

Originally written by James Dinan of The Villages Daily Sun Jerry Driggers is a fifth-generation Sumter County resident who found himself with more time on his hands a few years ago. “I’m not retired completely, but I wanted to get out and help people in new ways,” he said. “Pastor Derrel Strickland of Oxford Assembly

More...
Old 12-02-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gazette View Post
"but I wanted to get out and help people in new ways,”
Although I appreciate his efforts, he couldn't find anyone needy across these United States?
Old 12-02-2022, 08:40 AM

Exactly-- don't help the idiots who gave you $$$$ go help cuba. (maybe you can stay?)
Old 12-02-2022, 08:53 AM

No body in America needs help? You do know the government there just took it over, or even demolished it!
Old 12-02-2022, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,649 Times in 1,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gazette View Post
Originally written by James Dinan of The Villages Daily Sun Jerry Driggers is a fifth-generation Sumter County resident who found himself with more time on his hands a few years ago. “I’m not retired completely, but I wanted to get out and help people in new ways,” he said. “Pastor Derrel Strickland of Oxford Assembly

More...
Why?

Religion in Cuba today is predominantly Roman Catholic, with some protestant sects as well as Santeria (a combination of Christianity, African native religion and a little Native American thrown in). In other words, Christianity is ALREADY present there. But this isn't uncommon. Sects in America send missionaries to Mexico (nearly 90% Christian), Brazil (87% Christian). Haiti (also 87% Christian), The Dominican Republic (69% Christian), etc. etc. Back in Minnesota I was aware of a certain church that, each January, had a "mission" trip to Haiti. I've been to the Island of Hispaniola. Gorgeous, especially in January. Surely does beat the snowdrifts and -20 degree thermometer readings in Minnesota in January.

But in the end, what do such trips accomplish? I'd venture to guess that the various Christian sects average about 85% agreement on issues of scripture, doctrine, salvation, etc. Some, probably a lot closer. So in the end, we have one Christian sect trying to convert ANOTHER Christian sect to their particular point of view, when they ALREADY have 85% of their views, or more, in common. It sows discord and conflict--has been that way throughout history. Two sects can be 90% identical, and they'll kill each other over that last 10%. I think ol' Mephistopheles is dancing in glee when such things happen.

I think Christians would be far better off looking for common ground, rather than fighting and bickering over the (often minute) differences that separate them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.