The Villages Charter named Cognia school

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2022, 12:20 AM
Editor
Default The Villages Charter named Cognia school

Originally published by Garrett Shiflet of The Villages Daily Sun The Villages Charter School is adding to its accolades with the Cognia 2022 Schools and Systems of Distinction award. This award, based on student performance, parent involvement and more, goes to the top 5% of the 36,000 public and private institutions Cognia serves globally. “I’m

More...
Old 12-18-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gazette View Post
Originally published by Garrett Shiflet of The Villages Daily Sun The Villages Charter School is adding to its accolades with the Cognia 2022 Schools and Systems of Distinction award. This award, based on student performance, parent involvement and more, goes to the top 5% of the 36,000 public and private institutions Cognia serves globally. “I’m

More...
Good news, but not surprising.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

A well-earned reward.

The Villages school system was originally built to attract and serve the professionals serving residents. In the same way TV opened and developed a neighborhood with appropriate housing on CR 301 south of 466.

Now the growth of The Villages to the south is threatening that benefit. My doctor is concerned on how the new schools being built far to the south of Brownwood will affect his family. The existing high school is scheduled to be re-purposed as a middle school. The result will be a 45-minute commute each way for his kids, when they reach high school age. It seems to be re-thinking his practice here in The Villages. Even if the Developer opens another housing development near the new high school, it would require the sale of his home and uprooting his family. Plus the trade-off would be a similarly long commute to his office in the northern end of TV.

And the effect on his patients? A similarly long commute for appointments?
Old 12-18-2022, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

There's a typo, the school name should have a "c" at the end.

There, fixed!
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 12-18-2022, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
A well-earned reward.

The Villages school system was originally built to attract and serve the professionals serving residents. In the same way TV opened and developed a neighborhood with appropriate housing on CR 301 south of 466.

Now the growth of The Villages to the south is threatening that benefit. My doctor is concerned on how the new schools being built far to the south of Brownwood will affect his family. The existing high school is scheduled to be re-purposed as a middle school. The result will be a 45-minute commute each way for his kids, when they reach high school age. seems to be re-thinking his practice here in The Villages. Even if the Developer opens another housing development near the new high school, it would require the sale of his home and uprooting his family. Plus the trade-off would be a similarly long commute to his office in the northern end of TV.

And the effect on his patients? A similarly long commute for appointments?
New family area, will allow kids to walk or bike safely to school. New hospital and medical facilities will give practice to move within a short distance from home. I envision older practices with no children will stay north, while physicians with families will go south.

If your physician is rethinking his practice in TV, he is already looking to move, starting from scratch to build a new practice. So he can either move his practice south, or move to another city, with the possibility of lower rated education, for kids. His choice, but I am guessing some of his practice comes from the southern areas. But than again motive to move, might be an area, with younger patients, with private insurance

We drive to Gainesville for physicians visits, so that is a longer commute than his or patients move south.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:28 PM

Wondering how a family with a child in the new southern high school and another child (or children) in elementary or middle school will manage drop off and pick up.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdk92 View Post
Wondering how a family with a child in the new southern high school and another child (or children) in elementary or middle school will manage drop off and pick up.
Have you driven past TV’s HS during the day. Parking lot is beyond full. Like HS students everywhere one drives to school.
I drove every day from the day I turned 16. That was many years ago, so nothing has changed. Except more kids have their own car to drive to school.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Traffic jams on rolling acres rd are horrendous during pick up times
Old 12-19-2022, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Traffic jams on rolling acres rd are horrendous during pick up times
Is that school the villages charter? I thought it was a public school.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

So a school which only admits students with working parents, and requires those parents to volunteer hours within the school, slightly outperforms the average school in the state that has homeless kids, children whose parents don't have jobs or those who are forced to work two jobs and don't have time for the PTA.... And a criteria for this reward is that they provide documents that they have a lot of parents volunteer in the school. WOW!!
Now tell me, how many kids from the Villages School have your read about who were National Merit Finalist Scholars? None?, me neither. The school has an AP pass rate of 29%. That is only 29% of their students pass even just one AP test. For comparison 66% of students at Forest HS in Marion County pass an AP exam.

This is a school that starts with way better than average student material and produces a slightly better than average output.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
So a school which only admits students with working parents, and requires those parents to volunteer hours within the school, slightly outperforms the average school in the state that has homeless kids, children whose parents don't have jobs or those who are forced to work two jobs and don't have time for the PTA.... And a criteria for this reward is that they provide documents that they have a lot of parents volunteer in the school. WOW!!
Now tell me, how many kids from the Villages School have your read about who were National Merit Finalist Scholars? None?, me neither. The school has an AP pass rate of 29%. That is only 29% of their students pass even just one AP test. For comparison 66% of students at Forest HS in Marion County pass an AP exam.

This is a school that starts with way better than average student material and produces a slightly better than average output.
Wow…..negative much. Try getting out of the bed on the other side sometime.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
They will figure it out………..
Old 12-19-2022, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

I suppose a school could be built every few miles so the docs would have it nice and handy.
Sorry they don’t get any sympathy from me. He has to drive a few miles, so what? Didn’t we all drive to work a lot of miles for lot years.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Skewed analysis, you are taking a school to task because that parents are engaged with their children and for the most part provide a sound family life. Shame on them, right?

Many of the parents sending their children to the Charter Schools work in the trades which is a great choice for a career. Those kids might not nail your AP goals but have far more common sense and skills than those who ace them.

I don’t know why one would want to bash a successful school system. Maybe the other mediocre schools and parents can learn something from the success of The Charter Schools. After all it’s about the children.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
They are also building a middle school and an early learning center in the south so students in all grade levels will be served down here.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.