propane heater with piezo-igniter

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2016, 08:36 PM
Veteran member
Default propane heater with piezo-igniter

Am trying my third piezo-igniter propane golf-cart heater, each of them from Buggies Unlimited. (I have been unable to get Mr. Heater from Ace Hardware to safely and securely fit in my cart). While I like the looks, size and weight of he heater none of them have ignited dependably. Does anyone out there have any experience with these heaters and if so did yours ignite properly for you or am I beating a dead horse?

If no one has an answer I'm sending it back and I'll look for another alternative.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.

tq
Old 02-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Sage
Default propane heater with piezo-igniter

I have the Coleman golf cart heater. Have used it for 3 years without problem. It sits in a cup holder and is secured to the steering wheel post with a cable lock. That helps keep it from moving around very much, and keeps inquiring hands away as well.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Veteran member

Thank you. I have been told that Coleman no longer makes this unit because of lawsuits in the recent past. However, if I can't find a new one I may purchase a used one.

tq
Old 02-10-2016, 06:56 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I have noted that some golf cart owners have taken the Coleman Heater's holders and bolted them to the bottom of cup holders to keep them steady.
I have a Coleman pierzo igniter but haven't used it for 3 years. what's the lawsuit about?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

I brought my Coleman heater with me (used it all the time in KC but it hasn't been cold enough here yet) and crammed some foam down in the cupholder along with the heater base and that secured it; brought that foam with the heater also; hope it never gets cold enough to use it.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Piezo-igniters can be tricky sometimes in windy conditions. Try lighting the unit is a place or at a time when there is little or no wind, also make sure yo have the gas valve set correctly (according to the instructions). If it is still hard to lite, then, I guess best option is to return.
NOTE: with the gas valve OFF you can take the unit into a darkroom and you should see and hear a small arc every time you try to lite the unit. If you do not, the pieze unit might be bad.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

I have Mr. Heater from Ace as well. It fits tight in my cup holder. Friends have done the bolt/screw thru the bottom for additional security and they are happy as well.

Good Luck.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Rubicon, I was told by a gentleman at Ace Hardware that some girl had gotten burned by a unit so they sued Coleman, who then decided that it wasn't worth the potential liability and ceased production.

To the others who responded, thanks. I will try something additional. Not sure what that will be but I'm not ready to give up yet.
Closed Thread

Tags
heater, piezo-igniter, propane, horse, beating, dead, ignite, properly, sending, alternative, advance, thoughts, answer, heaters, back, dependably, ace, hardware, securely, safely, unable, golf-cart, unlimited, buggies, fit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.