depreciate

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2016, 04:14 PM
Default depreciate

How much does a new golf cart depreciate when it is sold? Is there a rule of thumb for subsequent years?
I am beginning to looking at used carts and trying to determine approximate values. I am sure brand does matter so how about a Yamaha?
Old 09-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Depends on who you buy from. I wouldn't touch a used cart unless there was a warranty attached to cover the big potential costs. When you buy privately you get it as is and you own all the expense. There are a number of operations here that rebuld and warranty what they sell. Sta-Rite Carts and Accessories is one. Carts are used heavily here, many as the primary mode of transportation and will accumulate thousands of miles a year. Buy smart, not cheap.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Gold member

My hubby bought a used as is 2010 electric Star cart for $2,500 and it has been used every day for over 2 yrs. it's a great cart! But he looked at many before buying.

You need to know what you are looking at, and looking for. Go look at lots of carts, new and used, before you seriously start shopping!

In fact we bought mine used too. It's a CA Roadster that I LOVE to drive. It's been a jewel and I paid about 30% of the price of a new Ca Roadster!!

We have had great performance from our used carts!!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
How much does a new golf cart depreciate when it is sold? Is there a rule of thumb for subsequent years?
I am beginning to looking at used carts and trying to determine approximate values. I am sure brand does matter so how about a Yamaha?
On carts, I can only give an opinion. I looked and looked and my wife looked also. I found that some cart shops are really not very helpful and it shows what will happen after the sale. We bought an EzGo electric from Advantage Golf Carts, AGC they are in a center where the Bonefish Grill is located. They have been great, they have a great service plan, for the first year, they come to your house for service, hard to beat that. The cart it great, we love it. We are not real big on driving and driving, so during the week we go to play pool or to swimming pools and about once a week, we charge it for about 4 hours, the Utility company verifies, it takes about 15 to 19 cents and hour to charge. NO GAS, NO FUMES, NO RATTLING ENGINE, NO WHATEVER, PURE SILENCE, WE LOVE IT.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

I wonder how long it will take before this thread becomes a gas -vs- electric
Old 09-11-2016, 08:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
I wonder how long it will take before this thread becomes a gas -vs- electric

Oh oh. Now you've done it. I know both have pros and cons, but I prefer gas carts. You just can't beat a once a month fill up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
I was told $1000 the first year and $500 every year after depending on mileage and upkeep. Who knows, you know when you trade it in they will try and steal it from you to make a pile of dough!
Old 09-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I was told $1000 the first year and $500 every year after depending on mileage and upkeep. Who knows, you know when you trade it in they will try and steal it from you to make a pile of dough!

I believe you are accurately stating what typically occurs.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Platinum member
Post My experience.

Quote:
To avoid the electric vs. gas debate, let me offer a response to the original question.

When I went to The Villages Golf Cars at 910 Bichara Blvd, Lady Lake, near Spanish Springs Town Square, I found a rebuilt gas model that I wanted. I had not come in my current electric cart, but when I told the salesman the brand, type, approximate year and general condition, he consulted a list that contained such data and made an offer for a price for my trade in that I thought was quite generous.

SO.... I conclude that there are figures on the value of used carts based upon these factors. To what extent a salesman will share this information with you I do not know, but surely one will give you an indication of the relative depreciation rate of electric vs. gas, and different brands.

Here's a hint. If the batteries on a trade in are getting old (and their date when put into service does appear on the batteries) then the value of the cart will be diminished, regardless of brand.

Note that I traded in an electric (which came with the purchase of the house) to buy a gas cart and would never own another electric.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:19 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Depreciation "let me count the ways" and let us first begin with who is the buyer? Market value is the price that a willing seller and willing buyer agree upon. If there is a red/blue/black book dealers keep it well concealed.

One thing we can be sure about is that a dealer selling a used cart is listing it substantially above what s/he paid for it.

Private owners price, what they believe they need in order to buy a replacement

Some carts are used as second cars. Some like me use them only to play golf which is about 3 times a week resulting in low mileage.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Since you did not say whether you were looking for a gas or electric cart, my two cents worth is that Yamaha GAS carts are very good but NOT their electric.

If you want a very good deal on a great cart try Grandma & Grandpa's Golf carts, 352-552-8454. They have re-manufactured carts that they actually build for your specifications. They have Yamaha and Club Car.

Club car electric carts are very good, especially if you get Trojan Ranger batteries. That is what I have and the batteries are GREAT. They are "rated" to go 60 miles on a charge. I have played a round of championship golf at Lopez [up near the North edge of The Villages], came home and took my dog for a 45 minute ride then drove all the way South to Soaring Eagle softball diamonds and back and the gauge never moved from fully charged and never lost any power. My cart is over 2 years old.

I tell you this because so many people say that electric carts won't be able to travel the distance of The Villages on a charge. I happen to disagree.

The other place to check out for a cart is Village Discount Golf Carts on 446, 352-633-8480.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:59 PM

I should have stated that I am leaning toward gas. I like the convenience of gassing up and then not thinking about it for a long time.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I should have stated that I am leaning toward gas. I like the convenience of gassing up and then not thinking about it for a long time.
Depending on how much you drive you may be gassing up every week. Gas golf cart don't get great gas mileage. Typically they get about 23-26 mpg. Not that that's bad, it's just that most people think they get a lot more. A typical gas cart has a tank that holds about 6-7 gallons.

Personally, I like the convenience of simply plugging my cart in every time I finish using it and filling the batteries once a month. Running to the gas station all the time and changing the oil is not what I consider convenient.

Sorry, I didn't meant o turn this into a gas vs electric debate, but I did want to give my opinion and perhaps correct a misconception that guitarguy has.

http://http://www.golfcarcatalog.com...ed-golf-carts/
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 09-12-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Well guitar guy.....confused yet?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM

YES I am thoroughly confused but it is sure is fun. I did not know that gas vs electric could wind its way into the discussion. I do welcome it. I was just kinda wondering how much cart from one to three years old would be worth.
Closed Thread

Tags
depreciate, carts, values, yamaha, matter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.